VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am starting a build thread that I can just update over and over.

Work in progress. I will get more parts and pictures up when I get home from work.

Vehicle Information
• Year : 2004
• Model : R32
• Color : Pu$$y Magnet Blue
• Date Purchased : April 2010
• Current Mileage : +/- 108,000

Software Management
• United Motorsports : NA Race Tune

Drivetrain Upgrades
• Custom Stiffer UniBrace
• Powerflex : Dogbone Inserts
• HPA : Blue Haldex Controller
• HPA : Short Shifter
• 42 Draft Design : Solid Shift Linkage Bushings
• Verdict Motorsport : Solid Shift Bracket Bushings

Engine Upgrades
• Integrated Engineering : SAI Blockoff Plate
• K&N : Panel Filter w/Hacked AirBox
• Custom Exhaust |Link|
• OEM : European Skid Plate
• OEM : European Side Engine Covers
• Quick Drain Oil Valve

Suspension Upgrades
• OEM : European R32 Springs
• Autotech : Front Adjustable Hollow 22mm Swaybar
• Autotech : Rear Adjustable Hollow 22mm Swaybar

Wheel Upgrades
• O.Z. Ultraleggera 18” x 8” Black
• Apex Track-Stud : Wheel Stud Conversion
• Apex Track-Stud : Hardened Steel Race Lugs
• 034 Motorsport : Wheel Locks

Interior Upgrades
• OEM : Euro Headlight Switch
• Mod : Switched pinout on headlight switch so one pull out is rear fogs, two is front fogs.
• Mod : Light Up Needles
• OEM : Monster Mats
• OEM : Cargo Storage Net
• No Name : Radio Aux Input Cable
• Huper Optik : Window Tinting (20% All Windows)
• 42 Draft Design : LED Lighting

Exterior Upgrades
• OEM : Shorty Antenna
• Rockblockers : Mudflaps
• ECS : Blue Tint Blindspot Mirrors
• OEM : Euro Front Bumper
• JOM : Badgless grill
• Custom : Shaved Hood

Lighting Upgrades
• Hella : Glass lense + fog
• DTM : 7k HID Drop-Ins
• ECS : Yellow Fog Bulbs
• OEM : Rear Fogs Hooked Up
• Hella : Optilux Yellow Highbeam Bulbs
• Mod : Highbeams on at 30% as DRL

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
no pics??? c-mon man!!!!

btw I have some solid inserts for my R too, Just waiting to get my car back to install them and see how that goes.
Thar.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thx .... hey man didnt see you in Waterwerks, did you go?
No. Totally missed it. Didn't even know it was going on until like 4pm Sunday. :banghead:

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
• Custom Solid Metal Motor Mounts |To Be Installed| (You heard me.)

Would like more info on these two. Since your mounts are to be installed I'll be waiting to hear your impressions. Can you explain more on getting them made? What makes your unibrace stiffer and custom? Can you take some pics please?

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
• Custom Solid Metal Motor Mounts |To Be Installed| (You heard me.)

Would like more info on these two. Since your mounts are to be installed I'll be waiting to hear your impressions. Can you explain more on getting them made? What makes your unibrace stiffer and custom? Can you take some pics please?
Motor Mounts:
I ran the stock mounts through a CMM machine and pulled all the dimensions to a CAD file. Then made solid versions in SolidWorks. I am having them milled out and should be installed within the next two weeks.

If they turn out well (as I am thinking they will), I am going to start selling them on here. I will have to figure out the whole vendor signup deal with the vortex. Blah. Blah.

Unibrace:
The brace started as model in the computer of a stock unibrace. It was then ran through some finite element analysis (FEA) and was improved to be stiffer.

It looks almost the same as a Unibrace just with holes moved around here and there. Nothing special looking.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Motor Mounts:
I ran the stock mounts through a CMM machine and pulled all the dimensions to a CAD file. Then made solid versions in SolidWorks. I am having them milled out and should be installed within the next two weeks.

If they turn out well (as I am thinking they will), I am going to start selling them on here. I will have to figure out the whole vendor signup deal with the vortex. Blah. Blah.

Unibrace:
The brace started as model in the computer of a stock unibrace. It was then ran through some finite element analysis (FEA) and was improved to be stiffer.

It looks almost the same as a Unibrace just with holes moved around here and there. Nothing special looking.
Draxus, we have talked before so you know im not trying to be an ass, but just want to pose some genuine questions (btw coming from someone with an all spherical suspension on a daily):

- what benefit do you propose from the solid engine mounts? IIRC you want to go turbo in the future but unless you are looking at 1000whp drag car im interested to hear your thoughts for the street...

- what benefit do you propose the stock unibrace? bruce is pretty on top of things so please explain...

:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Draxus, we have talked before so you know im not trying to be an ass, but just want to pose some genuine questions (btw coming from someone with an all spherical suspension on a daily):

- what benefit do you propose from the solid engine mounts? IIRC you want to go turbo in the future but unless you are looking at 1000whp drag car im interested to hear your thoughts for the street...

- what benefit do you propose the stock unibrace? bruce is pretty on top of things so please explain...

:thumbup:
Mounts:

I do plan to go turbo. But that is neither here nor there. I needed mounts and was browsing car forums for ****s and giggles. I ran into the fact that Porsche 911s have less cabin vibration when they solid mount their engines and trans. So I thought, why not? Worst case, it's a pain in the ass. Best case, it works well. lol :beer:

Brace:

Do you mean, why is the Unibrace as a whole good? Or how is mine better? I think mine is better because of how cheap it was! :laugh: Regardless, I didn't do the work on that one. I bought it from the designer of it. He is a smart guy (some kind of an engineer, it was a while ago) and has a plastic rapid prototype version of the Unibrace he made during the process hung up as a decoration, so I would assume he put some thought into it. :beer:

I have the feeling that some weight was added to make it stiffer. An example is that the brace is thicker as a whole.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Maybe I missed it but I saw springs but no mention of upgraded shocks?
Sadly the springs were done by Kippen or someone else.

Shocks still stock. The ride really needs help. :banghead:

·
Registered
401 Posts
:laugh: Thanks Draxus :thumbup:

The brace Draxus is running has the same outer dimensions and uses the same thickness aluminum as Bruce's brace but the inner workings were designed from the ground up with strength in mind (and were stress tested at UF). The backbone is also tig-welded in placed rather than riveted. Also I think it came out pretty BA looking :D

(Sorry for the quick reply - rushing out of work)

Mounts:

I do plan to go turbo. But that is neither here nor there. I needed mounts and was browsing car forums for ****s and giggles. I ran into the fact that Porsche 911s have less cabin vibration when they solid mount their engines and trans. So I thought, why not? Worst case, it's a pain in the ass. Best case, it works well. lol :beer:

Brace:

Do you mean, why is the Unibrace as a whole good? Or how is mine better? I think mine is better because of how cheap it was! :laugh: Regardless, I didn't do the work on that one. I bought it from the designer of it. He is a smart guy (some kind of an engineer, it was a while ago) and has a plastic rapid prototype version of the Unibrace he made during the process hung up as a decoration, so I would assume he put some thought into it. :beer:

I have the feeling that some weight was added to make it stiffer. An example is that the brace is thicker as a whole.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ah! There we go. Couldn't remember who I got it from. PM limit on vortex has me clearing my box every two weeks lol.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.