VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 768 Posts

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1976 BMW 2002
i posted a previouse topic asking generally about a 1976 BMW 2002. Well I got in contacct with the owner of the vehicle, and today I went and got to go and see the car.
I woke up ealry, and went to go pick up my friend a a dolly to bring with me just in case I decided to by the car. It took us approx an hour and a half to get the the house but was well worth the wait imo.
Upon first glance it looked ok, nothing exciting. It looked it it was sitting for a few years and we were correct. The owner of the car came over and we talked for a little, and then the car just started right up with no problems except a little belt issue. It was way too loose upon futher inspection, but no harm no foul.
Looking at the car further we noticed it had last been regestered in 2000 and the body needs new rocker panals (but the frame is study) and the drivers side door needs help, but other than that the caner wasnt that bad.
We drove the car, it still has a nice power band and shifted gears without any grinding, but the slave cilender may be leaking? and it will need a new clutch most likely, but I will be tearing the engine out withen this month to prep it to bring it out to school.
The owner wanted $500 for the car, but we agreed on $400 wich was $100 more than what I wanted to pay, but it was worth it. When I got a chance to further inspect the title it has only had one owner I am the second and the true milage of the vehicle is 238,000 ish.
can anyone identify the wheels?

now for the pics. soooo many : )

snake skin! haha

so far all of te extras i found in the car

including

·
Registered
8,261 Posts
FV-QR

Good buy.
Rockers are not easy to repair on a 2002, but for what you payed it should be worth it.
The other notorious 02 rust spots look to be in good shape (rear shock towers, nose, etc. )

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: FV-QR (matoo)

Quote, originally posted by matoo »
Good buy.
Rockers are not easy to repair on a 2002, but for what you payed it should be worth it.
The other notorious 02 rust spots look to be in good shape (rear shock towers, nose, etc. )

I plan on just fabing new rockers

·
Get Off My Lawn!!!
29,544 Posts
Re: FV-QR (Mr. Dew)

$400 very well spent. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Get Off My Lawn!!!
29,544 Posts
Re: FV-QR (thesteve)

Quote, originally posted by thesteve »
Nice!
I wish there were more 2002 owners in TCL!

I wish that I was a 2002 owner in TCL.
Image uploading. Refresh page to view

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Re: FV-QR (vwlarry)

That definitely is a good deal! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif One thing though check for mice. It seems that in the pic of the trunk that I spy a mouse nest, check the back seats and see if they feel a bit "deflated".

Modified by Ghost85 at 9:10 PM 7-13-2009

·
Registered
26,758 Posts

That is a serious deal for a running 2002 in that condition! Good work!
As stated, the wheels are E30 325is 14" stockies. OEM tire size was 195/65/14, but on an '02 that should be 195/60/14. They are lightweight and strong--if you can find a set of center caps I'd run them.
I'm sure you know to check the rear strut towers carefully for rust. They look okay in those photos but paint can hide a lot.
How is the nose, overall? Any evidence of metal work or bondo?
The M10 is extremely robust, especially the bottom end, and takes well to a header and Weber downdraft conversion.
2002 AD is a great source for replacement parts/panels for the '02, including left and right rocker panel skins:
http://www.2002ad.com/storewor...=1400

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: FV-QR (Numbersix)

one wheel has a small dent in it but looks repairable the shock towers are very solid, and so far I have only found a very creepy smider haha
haha smider haha spider*********************
Modified by Mr. Dew at 6:19 PM 7-13-2009

Modified by Mr. Dew at 6:22 PM 7-13-2009

·
Get Off My Lawn!!!
29,544 Posts
Re: FV-QR (Numbersix)

Quote, originally posted by Numbersix »

OEM tire size was 195/65/14, but on an '02 that should be 195/60/14.

Actually, US market 2002s came with wimpy 165 HR13s, if you are speaking of the OEM tire/rim spec. Even my first Scirocco had bigger rubber than my brother's 2002, with 175/70 HR13s.
Chucking the little roller-skate wheels was usually one of the first things owners did back then. My brother ditched his right away, and put on some beefy (for that time) 195/60 SR14 Phoenix Stahlflex tires (great for autocrossing) on pretty Momo alloys. His car had a stance like a linebacker.
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
9,817 Posts

Quote, originally posted by vwlarry »

Actually, US market 2002s came with wimpy 165 HR13s, if you are speaking of the OEM tire/rim spec. Even my first Scirocco had bigger rubber than my brother's 2002, with 175/70 HR13s.
Chucking the little roller-skate wheels was usually one of the first things owners did back then. My brother ditched his right away, and put on some beefy (for that time) 195/60 SR14 Phoenix Stahlflex tires (great for autocrossing) on pretty Momo alloys. His car had a stance like a linebacker.
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Our 71 2002 had bigger rubber on it when we bought it, but it skewed the speedo so much, my dad decided to put stock tires on it.
I will say, that damn car started every single time, on the first try. Below zero had no effect on it, the heat would heat up quickly too. It became my favorite car to drive in cold weather... (in hot weather not so much with its black vinyl interior and no AC.)

·
Registered
11,374 Posts
FV-QR

awesome find man! I always keep my eye out for 2002's but there hard to find up here in any sort of decent shape. Keep us updated. Im super jealous!

·
Registered
26,758 Posts

Quote, originally posted by vwlarry »

Sorry, Larry--I was speaking of the OEM E30 tire size for the 325is wheel, not the 2002 OEM tire (which I know to be 165 HR 13...if one can even find that size anymore!). My mistake for the confusion.

1 - 20 of 768 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.