VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
2005 VW Jetta GLI, GT3076r, Eurodyne
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the course of the last four years I have owned this car, quite a bit has changed. And I have compiled a bunch of pictures and information regarding my build process and setup for your entertainment. By no means is this a end all be all on what you should do to your 1.8t, But it was what I could afford at the time and what I was comfortable doing. For reference this is a late model 06A block.

It all started with a mostly stock 2004 GTI that I let a friend of mine drive, and he money shifted and floated some valves. (lesson learned)

After getting the motor pulled, it was time to order some parts and inspect the damage. I had opted to do a full head rebuild with an upgraded valvetrain and some minor bottom end work. Parts I ordered are as follows.

Head:
  • Supertech Inconel exhaust valves
  • Supertech Stainless intake valves
  • IE Brass Valve Guides
  • Supertech Titanium Springs and Retainers
  • Stock Cams
  • New OEM Cam Followers

Block:
  • IE 144x19 forged H-Beam rods
  • Stock pistons (06A)
  • ACL Calico Coated Rod Bearings
  • ACL Calico Coated Main Bearings
  • ARP head studs

And now for the damage...

Automotive tire Bicycle chain Rim Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Outdoor shoe

As you can see, that is not supposed to be like that... 馃槀

Sent off the block and head to the machine shop after disassembly, and patiently camped out at the front door for the goodies to arrive. Once I had all the parts in my possession and the components I sent out to the machine shop were ready for pick up, I sent all the parts to my good friends at Independent VW and Audi in Tucson, AZ.

They got to work right away, sending me pictures of the whole process while they were assembling everything.

Automotive tire Product Audio equipment Rim Automotive wheel system
White Automotive tire Vehicle Rim Natural material
Head Auto part Font Plastic Circle
Watch Plant Font Musical instrument Tints and shades

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Gas

With the major components buttoned up, and final assembly complete, I was waiting for some other parts to throw in just to refresh the whole motor. New T-belt, water pump, A/C Compressor, etc.

Motor vehicle Automotive design Hood Gas Machine

Scored a AGN valve cover!

A couple weeks go by and I get a call from them telling me about a friend of theirs who was selling a 2005 GLI that had everything except for a motor and 92k on the odometer. I asked about the details and decided to pick it up. They went ahead and swapped over the suspension, wiring harness, exhaust and all the other modifications that were originally on my GTI, onto the GLI.

Car Gear shift Vehicle Satellite radio Motor vehicle

The interior was mint considering the car was 12 years old at that point, and the paint was in pretty good shape but it was hard to tell because it had been sitting for a year or so. With all the components swapped over, it was ready to load up a stage 2 tune from C2 motorsport that I had gotten with the GLI, and start breaking the motor in.

After roughly 6 oil changes, and 5000 miles the motor was broken in. I tried to keep it under 3000 for the first 1000 miles, then started to push the motor a little bit harder to make sure everything was heat cycled, and settled. Took the car for the first "long" drive and it averaged almost 32 mpg with the stage 2 tune.

A couple years go by, and I always had the intention of upgrading to a larger turbo setup, but didn't have the time to buckle down and make it happen. I didn't build the motor to stay on a K03s forever.

Back to the drawing board. After extensive research I ultimately decided to roll with an ATP turbo GT3076r kit with a Tial MVS 38mm wastegate. Very similar to the eliminator kits of the past, but a few minor tweaks in manifold design to accept an external wastegate.

Some other things had to be handled as well, parts list is as follows.

• Vibratechnics Fast Road Engine and Transmission mounts
  • 034 Motorsport Billet Torque Mount Dogbone
  • 034 Motorsport Billet Drop in Fuel Rail
  • IE Intake Manifold
  • 80mm Hemi TB
  • Audi TT225 MAF housing
  • Siemens 630cc Injectors
  • Deutschwerks DV265 In Tank Fuel Pump (Drop In)
  • Tial Q BOV
  • IE Vent to Atmosphere Catch Can kit
  • Eurojet Race FMIC
  • Tial MVS 38mm Wastegate
  • CTS Turbo Manual T-Belt Tensioner
  • IE Billet Crank Gear
  • Diesel Geek Sigma 6 Short Shifter
  • Billet Shift Cable Mounts
  • Mishimoto Silicone Radiator Hoses
  • 3" Exhaust (Custom T-304 SS V-Banded, mated to the 3" DP included with the turbo kit)

I feel like I am forgetting a few things, but the ATP kit was pretty extensive and well thought out, and came with everything I needed including AN adapters, AN feed and drain hoses, turbo inlet pipe, and all supporting hardware.

I was fairly impressed, and everything bolted right up except the Turbo Inlet Pipe which needed some slight modification to work because I had deleted a good portion of the PCV system by using the IE catch can, I just had to cap off two of the nipples because they were not going to be used.

All EVAP deletes were done previously as well using the proper resistors.

If you are using a Eurojet style FMIC and a IE intake manifold with the 80mm TB, I recommend purchasing the IE 90 Degree 2.5"-3" Cobra head coupler, and modifying the Intercooler piping slightly as well as deleting the windshield washer fluid reservoir to make room for the intercooler piping. There may be a better solution out there, But this was the easiest and least invasive method I found and it looks pretty sick.

No Tial BOV yet :(

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive air manifold Vehicle

I was very impressed with the overall quality of the IE Manifold. The Vacuum Distribution Fitting is a very clever way to clean up some of the vacuum lines, and run only what is necessary.

The car is currently on a Eurodyne 630cc file that I tweaked myself, and I will be getting a dyno session soon to really dial in the setup with H-Car located in San Antonio, Texas. I will post numbers and sheets when I get there.

I have a ton of pictures saved over the years, but I can only attach ten of them and may just comment a few of them below for your entertainment. If there are any questions pertaining to the build, what else is done to the car, feel free to shoot me a message and I will try my best to help out in any way I can. A lot of the other builds featured on Vortex are 10+ years old, and none of the links or pictures work anymore so I decided to put something out there from more recent times as this platform has seemed to gain quite a bit of popularity in the last few years.

Attachments

Reactions: izcorrado18

Registered
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here is the exterior of the vehicle for your viewing pleasure.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive lighting

Reactions: Jdub337

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Over the course of the last four years I have owned this car, quite a bit has changed. And I have compiled a bunch of pictures and information regarding my build process and setup for your entertainment. By no means is this a end all be all on what you should do to your 1.8t, But it was what I could afford at the time and what I was comfortable doing. For reference this is a late model 06A block.

It all started with a mostly stock 2004 GTI that I let a friend of mine drive, and he money shifted and floated some valves. (lesson learned)

After getting the motor pulled, it was time to order some parts and inspect the damage. I had opted to do a full head rebuild with an upgraded valvetrain and some minor bottom end work. Parts I ordered are as follows.

Head:
  • IE Brass Valve Guides
  • Stock Cams
  • New OEM Cam Followers

Block:
  • Stock pistons (06A)
  • ARP head studs

View attachment 127112

Sent off the block and head to the machine shop after disassembly, and patiently camped out at the front door for the goodies to arrive. Once I had all the parts in my possession and the components I sent out to the machine shop were ready for pick up, I sent all the parts to my good friends at Independent VW and Audi in Tucson, AZ.

They got to work right away, sending me pictures of the whole process while they were assembling everything.

View attachment 127113 View attachment 127114 View attachment 127115 View attachment 127116

View attachment 127121

With the major components buttoned up, and final assembly complete, I was waiting for some other parts to throw in just to refresh the whole motor. New T-belt, water pump, A/C Compressor, etc.

View attachment 127124

A couple weeks go by and I get a call from them telling me about a friend of theirs who was selling a 2005 GLI that had everything except for a motor and 92k on the odometer. I asked about the details and decided to pick it up. They went ahead and swapped over the suspension, wiring harness, exhaust and all the other modifications that were originally on my GTI, onto the GLI.

View attachment 127128

The interior was mint considering the car was 12 years old at that point, and the paint was in pretty good shape but it was hard to tell because it had been sitting for a year or so. With all the components swapped over, it was ready to load up a stage 2 tune from C2 motorsport that I had gotten with the GLI, and start breaking the motor in.

After roughly 6 oil changes, and 5000 miles the motor was broken in. I tried to keep it under 3000 for the first 1000 miles, then started to push the motor a little bit harder to make sure everything was heat cycled, and settled. Took the car for the first "long" drive and it averaged almost 32 mpg with the stage 2 tune.

A couple years go by, and I always had the intention of upgrading to a larger turbo setup, but didn't have the time to buckle down and make it happen. I didn't build the motor to stay on a K03s forever.

Back to the drawing board. After extensive research I ultimately decided to roll with an ATP turbo GT3076r kit with a Tial MVS 38mm wastegate. Very similar to the eliminator kits of the past, but a few minor tweaks in manifold design to accept an external wastegate.

• IE Intake Manifold
  • 80mm Hemi TB
  • Audi TT225 MAF housing
  • Tial Q BOV
  • Eurojet Race FMIC
  • IE Billet Crank Gear
  • 3" Exhaust (Custom T-304 SS V-Banded, mated to the 3" DP included with the turbo kit)

I feel like I am forgetting a few things, but the ATP kit was pretty extensive and well thought out, and came with everything I needed including AN adapters, AN feed and drain hoses, turbo inlet pipe, and all supporting hardware.

I was fairly impressed, and everything bolted right up except the Turbo Inlet Pipe which needed some slight modification to work because I had deleted a good portion of the PCV system by using the IE catch can, I just had to cap off two of the nipples because they were not going to be used.

If you are using a Eurojet style FMIC and a IE intake manifold with the 80mm TB, I recommend purchasing the IE 90 Degree 2.5"-3" Cobra head coupler, and modifying the Intercooler piping slightly as well as deleting the windshield washer fluid reservoir to make room for the intercooler piping. There may be a better solution out there, But this was the easiest and least invasive method I found and it looks pretty sick.

View attachment 127133

I was very impressed with the overall quality of the IE Manifold. The Vacuum Distribution Fitting is a very clever way to clean up some of the vacuum lines, and run only what is necessary.

The car is currently on a Eurodyne 630cc file that I tweaked myself, and I will be getting a dyno session soon to really dial in the setup with H-Car located in San Antonio, Texas. I will post numbers and sheets when I get there.

I have a ton of pictures saved over the years, but I can only attach ten of them and may just comment a few of them below for your entertainment. If there are any questions pertaining to the build, what else is done to the car, feel free to shoot me a message and I will try my best to help out in any way I can. A lot of the other builds featured on Vortex are 10+ years old, and none of the links or pictures work anymore so I decided to put something out there from more recent times as this platform has seemed to gain quite a bit of popularity in the last few years.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Head:
  • IE Brass Valve Guides
  • Stock Cams
  • New OEM Cam Followers

Block:
  • Stock pistons (06A)
  • ARP head studs

View attachment 127112

View attachment 127113 View attachment 127114 View attachment 127115 View attachment 127116

View attachment 127121

View attachment 127124

View attachment 127128

• IE Intake Manifold
  • 80mm Hemi TB
  • Audi TT225 MAF housing
  • Tial Q BOV
  • Eurojet Race FMIC
  • IE Billet Crank Gear

View attachment 127133

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Car looks awesome. Clean work
Thanks man. Been chasing a P0341 code for almost 2 years now. Car has yet to be tuned for this reason. All mechanical timing is dead nuts on, car runs very well and has no signs of bent valves. Replaced the camshaft position sensor, and the chain tensioner with an OE unit. Cant figure it out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts