VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
6,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So this is my second car, and second Mk2! A 1990 Golf GL!

Specs:
Milage: Around 85,525? The odometer stopped working at about 79,525 miles.
Engine Code: RV
Transmission Code: AUG
Color Code: LY3D (Tornado Red)
Interior: Slate Grey Fabric 6/10
Build Date: 11/89

Okay, so here's the break down of how it got to be my 2nd Mk2:
We bought it from a member on here who had it for about a year and a half. I saw his partout thread in the parts forum and I noticed that he was in Texas! San Antonio to be exact.
So I asked if it ran and could stop and what not, and he said yes. So while I was on a college visit down there I picked it up!! I was so psyched I saved it from being crushed!! :D

Here's how it was when we first bought it:

·
Registered
6,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
So I got started with some easy stuff in between breaks with my GLI.

Worked on the tail lights! I need new hatch struts as you can see...

Replaced the cracked side marker

And then we cracked open the hood to inspect some stuff and we found that the oil dipstick was missing the funnel. A vacuum leak and one of many possible reasons why the car runs like crap. We also found that the Golf has been sitting a lot longer than the PO said it was as evidenced by the multiple spider webs in the engine bay and hornets nest (dead) next to the ECU. I also noticed that the paint is not bad, just SUPER dirty...

I also noticed that the rear bench seat didn't have hooks to unlock it and bring it down. So I took a hanger, cut it up, and made hooks to unlock the latches. This shows the style I'm going to take the car to. For the beginning part of it, I'm worrying about the engine. Aesthetics and what not don't matter until I get the engine/transmission running smooth. (It doesnt run too smooth right now...)

Straightened out the steering wheel:

Replaced the dash warning light panel with a European one. I'm planning on changing this again to the one that ONLY has the (!) symbol.

And that's it so far!
I'll be changing out the speedometer as it is currently a 140mph speedo, which is wrong for the car. It needs a 120mph one that I have in a drawer.

Cheers! :wave:

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Nice find. Glad to see it saved. Good luck with it. Oh and it would've been more of an adventure driving it home. Probably would have been a good story too:laugh:

·
Registered
6,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice find. Glad to see it saved. Good luck with it. Oh and it would've been more of an adventure driving it home. Probably would have been a good story too:laugh:
Haha yeah idk if I could have made it home in one piece!! :laugh:

Just now reading this...updates?
Thanks! Yeah sorry, this one has been on the backburner ever since I found that it had a fuel leak somewhere around the pump in the back. We're gunna start with the cheap stuff first and replace that and hopefully it stops. I bought a new fuel filter, clamps, and hose for it. You can see below where the fuel is coming from. It starts from the top of the bend, and drips down to the bottom. I wanted to cover my bases, and cheap new parts don't hurt so I opted to replace more than I probably needed to.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Forgot to say this...please say it's staying a small bumper car
it's a 1990, its a big bumper car. those small ones on there are not original. taking this car back to big bumpers is the best for it. :thumbup::beer:

also sweet car. i like the exterior of it, (paint wise) i'd just get some dingy looking big bumpers to match the faded red paint. and keep it that way, i've always liked the look of worn down cars. but thats my opinion. you do as you wish. just do it the right way sir. :thumbup:

·
Registered
6,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nooo big bumpers please! And next time you see a deal like this tell me, I want a MK2 project lol

And im guessing the MK3 in the first pic belongs to the PO?
Nope. And yeah that's the PO's Mk3

it's a 1990, its a big bumper car. those small ones on there are not original. taking this car back to big bumpers is the best for it. :thumbup::beer:

also sweet car. i like the exterior of it, (paint wise) i'd just get some dingy looking big bumpers to match the faded red paint. and keep it that way, i've always liked the look of worn down cars. but thats my opinion. you do as you wish. just do it the right way sir. :thumbup:
Actually, it was built in 11/89 which means that it's from the factory with small bumpers... Even though it was sold as 1990 it retained the early small bumpers. So those small bumpers ARE original...

And the car will get a full respray in a different color, I just won't say which one ;)

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Actually, it was built in 11/89 which means that it's from the factory with small bumpers... Even though it was sold as 1990 it retained the early small bumpers. So those small bumpers ARE original...

And the car will get a full respray in a different color, I just won't say which one ;)
oh thats awesome. alright, well if it were a actual 1990 production year. then my statement would be correct sir :):thumbup:

·
Registered
6,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
oh thats awesome. alright, well if it were a actual 1990 production year. then my statement would be correct sir :):thumbup:
Yes, yes it would would :beer: :wave:

·
Registered
168 Posts
good progress man :thumbup: i had to replace those same fuel hoses a few months ago :laugh:
what u gonna be doing with the old us bumpers? ;)

·
Registered
6,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
good progress man :thumbup: i had to replace those same fuel hoses a few months ago :laugh:
what u gonna be doing with the old us bumpers? ;)
Probably nothing, send me a PM if you want them ;)

1 - 20 of 152 Posts