VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys... I was led here by fellow VW owners... So im just gonna intorduce myself and see if you guys can help me. Im told your the best!
me and a buddy are trying to get into engine building/ learning about them
in general. So our idea was to go the junk yard and grab a 70's rabbit, or early
80's GTI then rebuild the engine, add some aftermarket parts and call it a wrap.
The question: Is this a surrmountable task for 2 newbies? Were looking to spend about $1,000, and have plenty of time. As well were totally open to suggestions.
Thanks for you time,
Tman

·
Registered
15,158 Posts
Re: Building a sleeper > Newbie VW engine builder... (TurboRacer)

Welcome to the Vortex Tman. You guys should have a great time with an early engine rebuild. If you have any mechanical inclination at all, you shouldn'thave any real problems, just buy a Bentley and a Haynes, keep the Vortex close by and you should be fine. You might have a little trouble finding a whole Rabbit/GTI in the junkyard(we know where they all are), but if you find one, it should be cheap. And as long as you're in no hurry, you'll have a blast.
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Re: Building a sleeper > Newbie VW engine builder... (gearhead455)

I've found my Haynes manual to be a good suppliment to the Bently. It clarifies some of the stuff that the Bentley does not go too in depth about (which is not all the much though..)
Good luck w/the project! A little junkyard scavanging can turn up some good stuff.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, thanks guys. Where could i pick up those manuals?
And a Bently manual? How much do these cars have in common?
Anyway, to answer the q's: weve got plenty of time and are looking
to spend $1,000 on the car and parts. The mods will be extra (fun!). We
might acually search around for a GTI/Rabbit, rather than one at the junkyard w/
no engine. Which years are carberated? And how much HP/Torque we looking at?
Thanks again,
Tman

·
Registered
3,286 Posts

i always hear about these carbed rabbits with weber carbs with 200 HP. i dont know anything about carbs except for the uhhhh 1972 plymouth satellite i used to drive. i think the carbed rabbits were in the 70's, i hope someone else can answer your Qs for you cuz i know i cant.

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
Welcome to the vortex, and good luck with the project. And if you happen to find a car in need of a motor, I've got a GTI motor for you (not too far away). http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

[Modified by sirhc, 8:39 AM 4-4-2002]

·
Banned
750 Posts

Turbo, welcome.. you've landed in the right forum. As for your project, here's a couple of pointers... buy a rabbit with fuel injection, (carbs are fast, but very expensive to ge them there (sorry Ally)) then buy a motor from a 85-87 GTI/GLI 8V, they can be had for about $2-300 for the whole deal. with that in the engine bay, with a dual manifold and good exhaust system, you should be mroe than happy with the results. and an engine rebuild would probably cost you about $300 in parts if you shop right.
goodluck
Micro

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Re: Building a sleeper > Newbie VW engine builder... (Clone_number2)

Welcome to the Vortex. You came to the right group if you want to build an engine. I'm rebuilding a JH block from a Rabbit GTI as a little fun project. It's not the most practical for the performance gains but it is something I really want to do myself. For the fun factor you should build your engine yourself. To be the most practical you should get either a ABA 2.0 or a A2 1.8 from a junkyard.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Re: Building a sleeper > Newbie VW engine builder... (700807)

quote:[HR][/HR]the haynes manual will make great hand wipes so you don't get the bentley manual dirty.[HR][/HR]​
no doubt there is no substitute for a Bentley.

·
Registered
3,623 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]about the engine... what year GTI / rabbit would it fit in? How much we talking?
And where are you located?
[HR][/HR]​
The motor is out of an 84' gti, complete fuel distibuter, manifolds, t/b, etc... also has a g grind cam. Located in Boise, ID... make me an offer! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.