• Rejoining the VWVortex Community - Please review the following thread: Here

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 1683 Posts

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys I need to build a makeshift shed to store not so valuable things for the time being...
but I want to have it double as a slide out for my Toyota Previa van in the future.

Wondering how I should connect my aluminum pieces.

I have four extruded aluminum beams to connect vertically.

And will need to buy four 8 foot aluminum square beams to run horizontally (the black beam in the picture is for example)
Whats the best way to connect these?

I have these metal sockets... maybe i can cut them up to work as corner connectors?

Use plates as braces?

The way it would work is to lift the cage out half way through and put a wood spacer between the ceiling and cage to level it out. Ive stood on the square tubing pictured and it can hold my weight.

·
Registered
2016 Golf R (wife)
39,758 Posts
You're going to use metal electrical boxes for structure?

You're an idiot. But we all already know that.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im on a budget... and rather then having them go to waste... I know they are not deep enough... but I can straighten them out and use multiple ones in place of metal plates?

Ive also seen these as the most heavy duty brackets for a reasonable price... not sure if they are good enough.

·
Registered
10,763 Posts
i like where this is headed... been awhile since a good Vig thread.... :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
The only thing dumber than this thread that I can possibly imagine is putting a wood burning stove inside a Previa

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Yay! This should be fun. Off to the popcorn store..........I might need a new chair, too......:laugh:

·
Registered
45,407 Posts
Housing in the Vancouver area must be really expensive. :screwy:

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)

·
Registered
45,407 Posts
I recall seeing that thread years ago and apparently that shed is 5 driving minutes away from where I plan to make my shed (south Burnaby B.C.).

edit - interestingly enough the builders were using a Previa!
What is it about Previa owners and their total lack of construction skills?

·
Registered
45,407 Posts
More like none conformist... maybe free spirited? Building that shed the way he wanted is probably very therapeutic then having to follow some manual.
Except when you go to sheath the walls and roof and your plywood edges don't fall on studs or joists, and are all out of square that you end up building a weak structure or using way more material than you need to when using basic, tried and true, construction techniques. That is when you end up needing therapy. Perhaps you should try one or the other.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Yes having built more then a few carving machine gantries (CNC), one must pay attention to measurements and stress loads... but I didnt really find anything for my slide-out application.. although I couldve searched long and hard on the instructables.com site for bracing ideas.

Speaking of Vig threads and bears :p
now this is a bear video (none graphic)
Savage Man Fights Wild Bear..then this happened.. - YouTube

·
Registered
14,423 Posts
I recall seeing that thread years ago and apparently that shed is 5 driving minutes away from where I plan to make my shed (south Burnaby B.C.).

edit - interestingly enough the builders were using a Previa!
What is it about Previa owners and their total lack of construction skills?
That's not a Previa. That's a Sienna.

Chris

1 - 20 of 1683 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.