VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: building a VAG (Rippen Raymen)

no, it should be the actual ODB-II interface to a laptop (serial RS232 port) that works with the VAG-COM software from ross-tech.
I can't find the link to the schematics right now but I can post them later.

· Registered
182 Posts
Re: building a VAG (jelenart)

started down this road once.
The first significant problem in building an interface that I found was that the baud rate between the OBD2 and the PC is too far out of tolerance to expect reliable transfers. I don't remember any numbers righ now, but let's say the OBD2 baud rate is fixed at, let's say, 16kbps, and the closest baud rate you can set the PC to is 14.4kbps. That's too far a stretch to expect anything reliable getting into or out of the PC from the car.
To solve this, you need a baud rate converter. http://www.elmelectronics.com has a little microcontroller to convert this for OBD2 systems, but I can't remember for sure which version we would need.
I also drew up an improved schematic of the one that someone had scribbled down on a napkin once, if that's the circuit you're talking about.

Modified by robertd at 1:23 PM 1-15-2004

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.