VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i love gone a little lower than i should have...(cant help it its just soo sexxy at -2.5")
anyone ever try flipping the tie rods to solve this? i know it worked on my ol 67 when i lowered it 4" up front lol
BTW by flipping i mean so that it bolts from bottom to top on the spindle....

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Re: Bump steer Questions...idea? (GotKraut)

The hole in the spindle is tapered, and will have to be drilled/reamed/machined somehow to take the tie rod from the bottom. If you do this, then it will be a loose fit. If you can machine a tapered hole, you can get 1/2 the engagement until it meets the taper from the top. Further, the tie rod swap, is usually done on spindles when the ball joint is dropped lower. This will probably be far too much to correct bump steer, and possibly make it worse. With the car lowered, the control arm is at an upward angle to the outside, and the spindle moves in when you compress the suspension (also related to the low roll center). If you move the tie rod to the bottom of the spindle arm, you will straighten it and it will move in less, creating more bump steer. The tie rod angle needs to match a geometric average of the control arm angle and the angle of the top of the strut, to reduce/eliminate bump steer.

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
Re: Bump steer Questions...idea? (vdubjim)

If you relocate the steering arms to the top of the arms on the bearing carrier, you'll get evil bump steer. As they are right now, they're parrallel with the A arms, and so there is no change in steering angle as the suspension moves. If you move em, the A arm and the steering arm will be further apart at the outside, and it'll steer like a pig.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Re: Bump steer Questions...idea? (polov8)

So basically we just really need drop spindles.... I'm a bit afraid to lower my car since my control arms are close to parallel right now with the 4x4 look....
Too bad drop spindles are so complicated and expensive to manufacture.
Brendan
84 Scirocco 8v
00 Camaro L36 M49

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Bump steer Questions...idea? (Lord_Verminaard)

haha ya i agree...but i just gave in and dropped it down so that my a arms are a couple degrees upright but regret it with every ounce of my body...im thinking about just throwing on the 16V kit to make the body look lower and slap on some H&R sports to go with my Bilstein Sports and i think my handling back to par this is what im currently running:
Suspension:
-Neuspeed Front 22mm Sway Bar
-Neuspeed Rear 28mm Sway Bar
-Neuspeed Front Upper Strut Tower bar
-Neuspeed Front Lower Tie Bar
-Neuspeed Sport Springs Cut one ring all around(mistake)
-Bilstein Sports
-Prothane Poly Control Arm Bushings
-Prothane Poly Rear Beam Bushings
-Prothane Rear Poly Shock Bushings
what is the "Ideal" lowering from stock? like -1.3"?

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
Re: Bump steer Questions...idea? (GotKraut)

Your set up sounds pretty much spot on apart from the cut springs. Did you run it with this set up with the springs un cut? And if so, how did it drive?

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
it ran pretty well and i was a moron for cutting them...but i still wanted something a little more aggressive i think im going to add Koni adjustables and ground control coils but i only have a $700 budget to do so so its going to be tricky

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Re: (GotKraut)

I went and looked at an ITC rocco that I'm taking delivery of in a week or two....anyways he had the car lowered a bit past the point where the control arms were parallel with the ground. To correct the bump steer he had camber plates, but installed them to get more caster, thus dialing out the bump steer. Not the cheapest solution, but just a thought.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.