VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
1982 VW Scirocco 2.0 16V
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate my us spec bumpers, and don't have the cash to get the nice euro bumpers. Has anyone tried to put rabbit bumpers on a scirocco? If so how did they look? Just a thought....

· Registered
682 Posts
Re: bumper options (Alderstorm)

i cut a spare us bumper down yesterday as an experiment. havent finished yet, but it looks pretty badas$ so far. i gotta get the metal parts powdercoated before i stick it on. just the rear so far.. round out that as$.

· Registered
1982 VW Scirocco 2.0 16V
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: (Carver1)

I did the drill a hole in the shock think and pushed it in. I tried the rear bumper first. It does look better. I didn't trim the bumper, don't know if I will. I'll have to sleep on that one. Thanks for the input.

· Registered
88 Posts
If you collapse it all the way, you have to trim the cover or remove it. It will rub the tires. I cut off about 4 inches front and rear. Then I filed down the rough edge, and painted it. It doesn't look horrible, but there is an unfinished edge. I tried to cut it so that it lays flush with the body. I still have a little fine tuning to do.

· Registered
682 Posts

what do you use to trim? at first i used a dremmel, but it got too hot. then i moved up to the hacksaw, but it's messy. doing a rocco ii bumper, i cut 2 1/4" off the top, and 2 1/2" out of either end and plastic welded it back on. flexes like the original, just looks like it has 2 deep scratches. have to fill and sand, but i think it'll be spicy. it's just my 1st attempt. i figure it'll be better next time. just have to cut the brackets. i dont know about these shock mounts you guys have. all 4 of my roccos and all my previous bunnies have had solid bumper mounts front and rear, actually look interchangeable front and rear.

· Registered
1982 VW Scirocco 2.0 16V
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I collapsed the rear bumper all the way and I still have a good three inches to the edge of the rear wheel well. I'm not sure about the from bumper, but I think there is sufficient room to not hit the tires. I see what you are talking about in your pic, but I have an mkII and you don't. I think there is more fender room on the later models.

· Registered
7,987 Posts
Re: (Alderstorm)

Hmmm..... interesting, but I'd perfer not to have that diving board hanging off the back of my car. I'm thinking about fitting my 16v kit and removing the bumpers entirely. Otherwise, I want something closer to the car. The thinkness isn't an issue, it's the length of that loooooong rear bumper that bugs me.
Another Question though: How does the 16v Body kit go on. It came with the car but it comes in like 12 pieces. I can only tell which parts go over the wheels as they are curved.

· Registered
682 Posts
Re: (efritsch)

glue, screws, and little black clips that break when you try to take them off and have no real alternative for replacement.
4 fender arches, 2 skirts, 2 door trim, front and rear. front has grill openings that match the car, rear has exhaust. skirts are side specific. pretty straight forward.
and on the cutting- do you do anything to dampen the jigsaw? i took the cover off the plastic reinforcement of my bumper, and it was very flexible. i contemplated using a scroll saw, but the thought the saw may just chew it up.

Modified by IrieVDub at 7:01 AM 9-13-2005

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.