VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Bunny Love.

13K views 90 replies 22 participants last post by  RoxanneIsMyFAST 
#1 ·
Well this is my introduction of my 1983 VW Rabbit. A few years back I had a Mkv Reflex Silver GTI. Unfortunately I traded it for a TDI Jetta because I ride on emotional roller coasters for fun. I've regretted that everyday after so about 3 months ago I started the search. I was Looking for Mkv's relentlessly but my wife reminded me we are on a debt-free by 30 journey. So we changed up the search just a little bit. Now, looking for something older in decent shape. I probably over paid for it but she's a gem in my eye. My daughter, wife and a coworker drove 3hrs down the road to get her. She made the trip pretty easy but the gas mileage is way to short.

Somehow I managed to lose the keys after having her for two weeks. I towed it up to Everything Euro to have them help me out with and at the same time they checked it out for me.

So here are the notes from Tom:
- P/S Engine mount torn through. Engine is sagging on that side.
- D/S outer boot torn( axle looks aftermarket)
- D/S wheel bearing very noisy
- P/S tie rod end boot torn. They both look kinda poopy. Prob just do all of them. inners too.
- Oil pressure sensor leaking.
- Throttle cable sticks when coming off throttle. Looks like the linkage needs to be tightened up. reassess after that.
- Fuel pump is zip tied in place, kind of hanging down.
- Breaks up when getting toward half throttle. Maybe carb rebuild or cleaning or something.
- Exhaust is factory just cut off muffler. Needs more pretty new. Also leaking at the toilet bowl or the manifold, Hard to tell.
- Alignment woes.
- Shifter bushing for the rod is worn and soiled in oil. Maybe just do whole kit.
- Dipstick tube is not there.
- Should prob put some sort of filter on the carbs.
- Crankcase vent on valve cover is venting to atmosphere.
- Distributor has no vacuum going to the vacuum advance.
- E-brake no worky.
- Coolant leaking out the res cap.
- Drive belt is loose.
- Battery not very secure. Terminal for positive side kinda scary(sticks up)
- Needs better brake booster hose.
- Radiator not very secure(only by one zip tie)
- Tripometer and odometer do not work. Speedo does.
- Tachometer does not work.
- Fan does not come on until car is shut off.

The list was a little longer than I thought it was going to be but hey that comes with the game. A few things that I really think I lucked up on is the overall condition of the body. No rust at all baby and she has a 1.7 carb'ed engine.

For now here are pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#3 ·
So here are the notes from Tom:
- P/S Engine mount torn through. Engine is sagging on that side.
- D/S outer boot torn( axle looks aftermarket)
- D/S wheel bearing very noisy
- P/S tie rod end boot torn. They both look kinda poopy. Prob just do all of them. inners too.
- Oil pressure sensor leaking.
- Throttle cable sticks when coming off throttle. Looks like the linkage needs to be tightened up. reassess after that.
- Fuel pump is zip tied in place, kind of hanging down.
- Breaks up when getting toward half throttle. Maybe carb rebuild or cleaning or something.
- Exhaust is factory just cut off muffler. Needs more pretty new. Also leaking at the toilet bowl or the manifold, Hard to tell.
- Alignment woes.
- Shifter bushing for the rod is worn and soiled in oil. Maybe just do whole kit.
- Dipstick tube is not there.
- Should prob put some sort of filter on the carbs.
- Crankcase vent on valve cover is venting to atmosphere.
- Distributor has no vacuum going to the vacuum advance.
- E-brake no worky.
- Coolant leaking out the res cap.
- Drive belt is loose.
- Battery not very secure. Terminal for positive side kinda scary(sticks up)
- Needs better brake booster hose.
- Radiator not very secure(only by one zip tie)
- Tripometer and odometer do not work. Speedo does.
- Tachometer does not work.
- Fan does not come on until car is shut off.
Not a bad ""to-do" list. Most are relatively cheap fixes with many being free, just a little bit of your time.
Looks like you have a good looking, solid car.

Congrats on the purchase.

#5 ·
Got it back from Everything Euro. I didn't have them do much but it's a step in the right direction.
- vented valve cover pressure to ground (just helps keep the bag cleaner as far as I know)
- tighten belts
- attempted to tune and adjust carbs but the bearings are way too sticky
- new brake boost hose
- a few new vaccines lines
- bolted the radiator down with a bolt (only one bolt holding it down gonna have them get me some mounts because that's not proper enough for me and I pay professionals for a reason)
- added a dipstick tube (the small things matter)
- remounted fuel pump because its was mounted with zip ties (I need to check to see how my guys at Everything Euro remounted it)
On the way home I could definitely tell that these small changes improved the performance side but it idles so high it's killing me. I got a few parts just need to find some time to throw them on.

#6 ·
My daughter wanted to wash her today so I got a chance to look at her more. A really solid little car. It idles high as crap!!! Any suggestions? The gas mileage is terrible too. The RPM gauge doesn't work but I would assum it's idling at 2000 to 2500 RPMS

The Bay

#10 ·
COol car!!

What kind of carbs do you have? If it idles high I would check for vacuum leaks first before attempting carb adjustmetns. Also check the timing.

THe to do list is pretty small but takes time. The fan comes on when the coolant gets to the correct temp. The temp will often go up as soon as your car turns off since the water pump is no longer turning. Sometime the fan comes on when you turn the car off as the temp shoots up so that may be normal.

Cool wheels!
Great suggestion guys!!! The timing was definitely off. I found this https://youtu.be/GXvTH1dczmA DIY on YouTube that got me through the process pretty easily. My wife did have to jump in and help which she was pretty hype about.

That helped tremendously but there's still work to do. I let her run for about 15 mins and noticed some smoke coming from under the weber... (maybe exhaust leak, I am open to suggestions as always)

Last week I changed the distributor cap, rotor and plugs. Made her run a little smoother.

Question for Patlew: when you say shoot carb clean, do you mean just spray some in the horns? Forgive me for my ignorance.

#8 ·
Yeah all the vaccines lines I just replaced. I am think it's the carbs. I found a place out in California, Top End Performance, that rebuilds carbs. After talking with them sounds like they might get some business unless anyone has a referral. (I don't trust myself with that job)

#9 ·
COol car!!

What kind of carbs do you have? If it idles high I would check for vacuum leaks first before attempting carb adjustmetns. Also check the timing.

THe to do list is pretty small but takes time. The fan comes on when the coolant gets to the correct temp. The temp will often go up as soon as your car turns off since the water pump is no longer turning. Sometime the fan comes on when you turn the car off as the temp shoots up so that may be normal.

Cool wheels!

#12 · (Edited)
With engine running spray carb cleaner all around the intake manifold , vacuum hoses, even at the brake booster with the large vacuum hose goes into it. Anywhere except straight into the carb intakes. If the idle changes you have a vacuum leak in that area. All questions are always a learning experience. This is the place to ask.

Good luck!

#13 · (Edited)
So probably about August, I was trying to replace the coolant and thermostat. I got half way done until I realized I didn't have the right sized bit to fit the thermostat housing. Needless to say I never finished it. Finally made it a purpose to finish that yesterday. While I did that I went ahead and grabbed a Red Top Optima Battery. Got everything back together, it turns over great but it doesn't spark. Smh... I can't figure out what it is. I put more gas in it, the spark plugs are new, the distributor cap is new, and the rotor is new. I did take the voltage regulator out so I could order a new on but it's back in now (brushes are faced down). Something else to figure out now.

#17 ·
Once I get her started I'm doing it! Lol.

Ohkay good idea my man!!! The coil. So I did a little research, found out I could use a test light to see if it is getting power. Test light acquired!

So now I know the coil is getting power. Is there anyway to know if the coil is doing its job?

I came to the conclusion that I am not getting spark when I put a screw driver in the plug wire and held it near a ground (the alternator). I didnt see spark. Does that mean my wires are bad??? Now that's an item I haven't replaced yet.

I wish could test them with the light but from my research so it looks like a need multimeter or voltage meter.

#21 · (Edited)
Thanks I love this thing. I brought it the day after I found it.

Coil to dizzy wire? Loose ground?
Checked loose grounds but thats not it. Thanks for that tip! That wasn't one I had thought about.

#24 ·
Here's A picture. The brace came with the coil and I installed in the stock location. Thanks for the help btw. I need is welcome and needed!

After new plug wires and ignition coil still crank no start. I think I am going to call in A favor to a few friends for some help on this one. New parts in the bay is nice but at the same time wasting resources is not fun.

#32 ·
Brought a some parts: front tie rods, left axle, front wheel bearing, engine mount, and transmission mount. Oh and a center console.

I had her towed to a friend to have all the parts installed for me and to handle the no start problem I have. I’m really looking forward to driving her.

#34 ·
So Trey Jones got her running again. He has to clean out the jet sprayers (I guess that what they are called) to help make it ru smoother. He did tell me that the throttle is sticking. I am assuming this is being caused by the Weber’s and they need to be rebuilt. Also he did say it is over heating after 10 mins of running. We will see what vacuuming the cooling system does. He thinks it’s air pocket that causing that. Which it could be, I changed the thermostat earlier this year.

I am trying to get it daily ready.

Now for a pic... I have a video but I can’t load it apparently

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.