VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Burger Motorsport JB4 Information thread for R and S3

965K views 4K replies 328 participants last post by  goodvibes 
#1 · (Edited)
We would like to introduce users to JB4 unit for the Golf R, Audi S3, Cupra high power EA888 Gen3 motors.

The unit is called a JB4 which is the name of our most advanced circuit board with CANbus connection (vehicle data network). It has been tried and tested over many BMW models and it is time for the evolution to start for the VW market.

Upgrade units for JB1 users are available to at this link, both revision 1 and 2 units can be upgraded: http://www.burgertuning.com/vw_audi_eA888_JB4_upgrade_kit.html

Complete JB4 units can be found at this link: http://www.burgertuning.com/vw_volkswagen_Group1_JB1_tuner.html

For map switching, logging and changing settings you have two options:Data Cable: This supports Windows software that we have available for free.JB4 Smart phone wireless kit:* This supports IOS and Android with an app sold extra called JB4 Mobile. The app has all the features the laptop software has with the added benefit of 6 live gauges of engine parameters of your choice.

The JB4 is a true plug and play tune offering safe and adjustable gains.

The unit ships with a base setting in map 1 that increases the boost by +4.0psi over stock that is safe to be used with 91US octane and 95 Euro. The typical power gains on this settings start at 50hp and 50ft lb and more can achieved with higher octane or custom tuning.

Install instructions:
Install instructions can be found here: http://www.burgertuning.com/instructions/VW_JB4_install.pdf

JB1 to JB4 update instructions can be found here: http://www.burgertuning.com/instructions/JB1_to_JB4_upgrade_procedure.pdf
The JB1 to JB4 upgrade kit can be bought here: http://www.burgertuning.com/vw_audi_eA888_JB4_upgrade_kit.html

JB4 Manual can be found here: https://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50428

FAQ:

Can I run the JB4 with another device connected to the CANbus?
No, any other device connected to the OBD port creates latency on the CANbus. The CANbus was designed to allow one device at a time and further data being pulled may create safety issues on the network as well as bad signal to the JB4

Will BMS release cluster display and steering wheel map switching?
At this stage cluster hijack has proven to be cost prohibitive due to the Gateway system used by VW. We are looking at getting cheaper solutions that may be affordable. Steering wheel map switching or in car map switching is something being worked on and will come in a future firmware update.

Will the JB4 remove my speed limiter?
At this point in time, no. The speed limiter affects many safety parameters and until we are certain there are no ill effects on this we will not have speed limiter removal available. The speed limit exceeded is also a trigger point logged in the ECU which may cause issues down the line for any form of claim.

Can launch control be added for a manual car?
No, at this stage this requires changes in the ECU structure which the JB4 does not access or tamper with. We have had success with this on other brands with add on hardware so its something we to intend down the line.

Can the JB4 support larger turbos?
At this stage on the 1.8T we can support the IS20 and on the GTI the IS38. On the R any larger frame turbo will require a flash of some sort.

How do I know if I can stack the JB4 over my flash tune and what is the process?
This varies on what the flash tune is requesting from the car and if there is room for improvement. If more hardware is used, higher octane or ethanol or meth has been added chances are there is a gain to be had. On stack tuned cars we work one on one with clients so we can understand the trend and get a better idea for the community where gains can be had.

Do I need a professional to custom tune my car if I want more power than the preset maps?
BMS is renowned for its customer service and we can assist any customer with setting his car up to optimize performance. A large online community exists as well where users share their findings. The device works in such a way that it is easy for first time enthusiasts to get a taste of self tuning. We only provide custom tuning for units purchased new from us or a dealer. Used units are not supported for custom tuning even at a fee.

Why does the JB4 read my Vin number and is it Vin locked?
The Vin is read for certain mapping purposes. The unit is not locked to the car which would be unethical and can be resold.

Why is the JB4 cheaper than other options yet more advanced?
The circuit board used in the VW product has been used over many other brands and developed over a period of time so the development cost is spread over many models.

For any questions feel free to post here or email me George@burgertuning.com for a faster response.

See less See more
#3,545 ·
After you shift into 4th you can see rpms climb then come back down around the 5k region. Do a log on map0 and see if it still does it.

How did I come to the settings? Lots of practice :) Map1/2 are too hard on our weak stock clutches at peak tq (in the 3k-4k region for an IS38) so I move that down to keep it happy.

Also, it's cutting out because your Fuel Open Loop is 60. Move it down to 40.

#3,554 ·
Map 2 is plenty conservative for 93. Map 1 is conservative for 91. You could use map 1 and leave it or toggle back and forth.

Reactions: Cjdp191
#2 · (Edited)
Logging and some stacking information.

The JB4 has full logging capability of most of the parameters we need to optimize the tune.

In order to log the steps are simple:

JB4 must be connected to log. A normal USB extender cable will work to get the wire into the car. This must be connected though to our BMS Data Cable. 3rd and 4th gear logs are preferable and if you plan on send them to me at george@burgertuning.com for analysis please do not send 15minutes of driving.

Go to Data Logging next to File at the top, press Start, do the log then press and display. Do your run then press Stop and Display when you are safely stopped. Then go Export and Export log and save the file to your pc. This file can be reopened for viewing by going Data Logging then open log.

It is suggested once you get a baseline log to familiarize yourself with what you can click to see which value. The log is best to be viewed in the JB4 user interface.
Below is a typical JB4 only log that I have chosen that is a good example to explain everything as a lot of interesting things are happening. The car was run over and over 0-150mph prior to this log, its full bolt on with our meth kit.

I will start explaining each line starting from the top.

Pedal: This redline that is pegged against the top show where your pedal position is. In some logging tools available by other tuners they use this as the throttle so people are accustomed to seeing it full.

Throttle position (orange): The ECU uses throttle position to assist with torque targeting. It is the torque targeting that creates final boost hence us seeing boost level going up in summer months. This results in a floating throttle which is normal to a point. We do not want to see this value go down lower than 4000 which represents 40%. Sudden spike straight down are also a problem that that is usually accompanied with the overboost fault.

Meth (dark green line going all over the place): For guys running our FSB meth system this line represents meth flow. It should be pegged at the top of the graph in a straight line if flow is sufficient. This car has a meth flow issue which is also evident in the IAT values further down.

RPM (green line): It is interesting to keep a eye on the rpm signal. Good to see what wheel spin looks like or if you suspect clutch slip it will create curves instead of being straight.

Trims (light blue): For scaling purposes this is a JB4 calculated value using the OEM trim values and taking into account what we doing to the AFR bias. What we want to do in terms of trims is avoid going higher than 40-45%. If the car reaches this point take a note at what your AFR ratio is doing if its taking a dive you are reaching a fueling ceiling. This will only happen if you use too high a amount of E85 on your mix or you are running too high a boost level. At certain point adding boost does not add power so lower the boost in this case. The fuel is sufficient to max the turbo power wise both for a R and a GTI. If the car is run like this for a sustained run the ECU will throw a lean code Sensor 1 Bank 1 and the JB4 will default to map 4.
You JB4 should ship with a fuel open loop value of 40. The maximum you can go is 60. Increasing the value will lower trim levels by increasing rail pressure. Dropping the value will increase trims values.

Boost (Blue line): This is actual boost

Target (Pink line): This is the boost target requested in the map 6 column. In this case we targeting actual boost values. If you use Map 6 as a boost additive by adding the values you want over the ECU boost the line will be found at the bottom of the graph as shown on the Stacked log below.

ECU PSI (Black): This is the boost value the ECU is requesting and seeing.

AFR (Mustard): Here we have the AFR value. If you have opted not to run the AFR wire to the lambda make sure your Fuel Bias values next to map 6 chart are all set to 0. The JB4 uses a calculation of the Fuel Bias Values and ECU AFR to work out the true value of AFR. You may see spikes in this value on the gearchange which is a calculation delay bug on the JB4 firmware we sorting out so do not be alarmed with this.

On this specific log it is interesting to note that in this log the AFR in 4th gear ranges from 13.2-12.7 which is a happy place for a Direct injection car. Switching to fifth we see the AFR drop to 11.3. It is rather rare for this to happen but I am glad we got it. The ECU has two mechanisms that are built into AFR functionality. One is a EGT (exhaust gas temperature) protection mechanism that dumps fuel when the EGT's get too high and the other is a full boost timer which is triggered if the car has sustained full throttle runs and it also dumps fuel. I think in this case the second one occurred.

IAT (fine turquoise line)
Overall Timing (thin redline) IGN1 on logging page
Timing adaption (different colours but timing adaption event circled in orange) IGN 2, 3, 4, 5 represent cylinder 1, 2, 3, 4

The IAT is in Fahrenheit and to get correct value multiply by 10. So if it show a value of 10 its 100F.
On this log the IAT is sitting close to 100F across the rpm range. Ambients where around 100F as well and the meth not working well is not improving it.

What we need to look at in the IAT is a relationship between overall timing and timing adaption. In general the lower the IAT the more timing the car will run. So if you see your timing is lower than usual compare the IAT's of the previous runs to see if its boost or IAT affecting it. As you increase boost you will see the timing chart start dropping as well. In the mid range it is normal for you not to see any timing but at high rpm it has to pick up. This car in the log has got relatively good timing going up to 10 degrees at peak rpm where boost is running at 20psi. If we raise the boost at peak to 22psi we might see a 5 degree drop of timing and we loose any power gains from the boost increase. Regardless in terms of targeting we do not suggest values higher than 18psi at peak rpm. Anything higher in our findings and the timing offset costs far more than the power gained in boost. From 16-18psi at redline we only seeing a average of 4-5whp so its up to the end user to decide how hard he want to push the turbo. We will obviously find good trends from users over time in this regard as well.
On the log I have circled a timing adaption event in 5th gear. There is a lot of discussion about timing adaption on the Simos ECU and it is a general norm to allow up to -4 degrees. On our side we would prefer it to be kept to a minimum of -2 or less or none at all. The timing adaption can work as a function of torque targeting. In this case in orange it pulled -1.2 degrees in cylinder 1. Looking immediately at the previous gear we can see timing was not affected so this is not a issue. For safety purposes we have logged knock sensor values vs timing pull and in most cases there is no relationship.

Gear: The gear will show you which gear you are in. Works for manual and DSG and Auto. It is nice to look back at it because sometimes its hard to remember what occurred when. Also lets us see on our side when logs are sent if we looking at possible wheel spin or a issue.

Stacking the JB4 over a flash tune:

All the above will apply. With the JB4 connected you will start with a clean slate and log the car in map 0 which is a pass though map with logging capability. This will give you a idea of the state of your tune and show you how it is set and what it is doing.

On the user adjustment page you going to want to make the settings as below:

You will notice the boost safety is set to 30psi. Once you know your final peak boost adjust this value to 2psi over the peak so you can still have the safety feature for boost over run.

The same will apply in terms of what you are looking for in the logs. One variance is that the throttle position will stay mostly open due to the torque values in the tune being higher.

Start adding boost in single digits after your peak boost for starters and see how the car is handling it and what the affects are of the added boost in timing.
Keep a eye on the fuel trims and adjust accordingly in denomination of 5 in the fuel open loop setting
You can have a look at AFR values but they rarely move with stock turbos.
Look at the timing pull values vs overall timing. In some cases if timing pull is present you can start adding the fuel bias at those rpm in values of 5. This will en richen the AFR and in some cases the richer fueling can cool the cylinder enough to increase timing.

Be sure to work with me if you going for large increases or you trying to achieve maximum boost values.

Below is typical log. The car is a GTI APR Stage 2+ IS38 running our meth kit.
In this case you will see the pink target line at the bottom which represents boost add. In this case it is set at 1.8psi over stock. Trims have also been brought down the a fuel open loop setting of 20. This actually also improved the AFR curve in the process.

To control the boost per gear in the case of stacking the amount you enter in max boost 1st, 2nd , 3rd is the amount of psi it will cut from the total boost. On newer app versions the parameter is called Boost cut nad is found in the user adjustment page.

Feel free to ask any questions or email me logs to george@burgertuning.com

#3 · (Edited)
Here some results from users out in the field. The test group was 48 vehicles across the globe with some users running the JB4 up to 6 months.

Dyno figures are wheel dynojet type unless specified.

JB1 vs JB4 comparison map 6: Mods JB4, DP and intake in Map 6.

JB4 DP and Intake running our meth kit.

JB4 DP and Intake with a race fuel mix. This car was set with a low torque map per customer request with high boost levels at the top rpm.

JB4 with intake and some Eth on a stingy Mustang dyno

JB4 on streets with dp only

#7 · (Edited)
Really looking forward to getting my JB4 Saturday. I'll get it all installed hopefully Monday.

George:

1: How much more aggressive is Map 2 vs. Map 6 (non-adjusted Map 6) and is Map 2 more directed towards DSG and hardware modifications i.e, DP, intake, intercooler?
2: When Firmware update 1 is available the secondary O2 is supposed to be cleared automatically. Some states require yearly inspections and monitors to be set. Will this do that or only clear that fault before tripping the MIL?
3: What is a rough ETA on Firmware 1 release?
4: How accurate is the AFR numbers in comparison to an aftermarket wide band setup?
5: Is adjusting boost/gear available only to DSG or is it available to 6MT as well?

**Edit**

6: You put boost safety in PSI, +2 typically. Should this field be set to 5.2 safety if using Map 6 max boost of 5.0? Or should we use 26 in that field as you stated if we are hitting 24psi? Is only the "user adjustable settings" done in +1.0 and more per 500 RPM and the others in PSI?

I'm sure I'll come up with more questions.

Thanks again as always!

#12 ·
Really looking forward to getting my JB4 Saturday. I'll get it all installed hopefully Monday.

George:

1: How much more aggressive is Map 2 vs. Map 6 (non-adjusted Map 6) and is Map 2 more directed towards DSG and hardware modifications i.e, DP, intake, intercooler?
2: When Firmware update 1 is available the secondary O2 is supposed to be cleared automatically. Some states require yearly inspections and monitors to be set. Will this do that or only clear that fault before tripping the MIL?
3: What is a rough ETA on Firmware 1 release?
4: How accurate is the AFR numbers in comparison to an aftermarket wide band setup?
5: Is adjusting boost/gear available only to DSG or is it available to 6MT as well?

I'm sure I'll come up with more questions.

Thanks again as always!
Map 2 is a high torque map. Map 6 has been left with default JB1 settings so users can pick up from that point.
Not sure on this. We have not looked into the readiness and how it works and what mileage needs to be done to be 0's. I am sure someone will chime in once tested.
Hoping in January. We going to add as much as we can.
Its .1AFR different from a Lambda sensor put on the DP 8 inches from turbo. The AFR is mathematically calculated taking the value of the AFR bias into account and what the ECU is reading.
Boost per gear will work regardless of transmission. A lot of people mentioned its not needed on the R but people have been testing launching with close to stock boost to get more repeatable launches and it seems to be working for them. Also cars that are stacked will most likely want to cut JB4 added boost for first gear.

#10 · (Edited)
Bought JB from BFI

Hi George,

For JB1 Rev. 1 upgraders who purchased from other vendors such as BFI: do we have to provide the copy of the original receipt only?

EDIT: Found the answer from the JB4 order page:

"The introductory upgrade cost is $50 plus a $75 core charge. Original purchasers of the Stage1 hardware can return their Stage1 board back after the swap along with a purchase receipt to receive a $75 core refund. If you did not purchase your Stage1 hardware new from BMS or an authorized reseller you can still return your Stage1 board back to receive a $25 core refund. Core refunds must be submitted within 30 days of upgrade kit shipment to qualify. This JB4 requires exclusive OBDII/CANbus access while tuning is enabled and is not compatible with various CANbus enabled boost gauges or 3rd party devices that also require OBDII/CANbus."

#18 ·
Hi George! This is awesome, been waiting for a while! I'm just disappointed in a couple of things. I wouldn't really call this a plug and play system if you have to permanently modify the vehicle harness by tapping into the O2 sensor wire. I know you said on another forum that you guys had trouble getting one of the connectors. Can you not get the raw voltage from the CAN bus?

Also, I was really looking forward to cluster hijack. I think it would be great to use the coolant temp gauge as a boost gauge over 50% throttle. It even has a pretty good range of numbers that can be used. At least there will still be in-car map switching at some point (the other big reason I was looking forward to JB4).

On the OBDII connector, what would the JB4 do if it was unplugged? Would it just switch to the stock map? I can see one big disappointment is that you can't use OBDII loggers and JB4 at the same time while at the track/autox. Maybe the JB4 w/ bluetooth could be recognized as an OBDII logger by track apps such as TrackAddict? This would be an additional selling point as well.

Thanks for all your great support! About to go order my upgrade kit now. And try to source my own O2 sensor connectors. Could you share what you found as the connector PNs (not VW PNs)? I design vehicle wire harnesses for a living, so I might be able to help find a source.

#19 ·
The AFR wire needs to be tapped so we can alter the AFR targets which is what is increasing the fueling ceiling vs the JB1 which has a high rpm boost nanny keeping boost in check. We have tried to source the plugs from everywhere possible in bulk to no avail. This is one of the main reasons in delay of release and at a certain point we had to face reality. There are guys that are going to attempt to source small volumes at dealerships to make a buck of ebay so there is hope if this is a must. On the plugs the only parts you can go off are the VW ones. All others found do not bring back a matching plug. If you can find a source it would be amazing and will give you a big reward. For the source to be reliable we need to be able to buy a couple of thousand at a time.

The cluster hijack is not abandoned.

I will send the suggestion to the APP developer.

Without the OBD plugged in the car will run stock.

#22 ·
Is it me or the install instructions link broken? Also, pardon the stupid question... Is the difference between the JB1 and JB4 in terms of installation is that the JB4 requires you to run one of the wires through the firewall into the cabin and plug it into the OBD connector?

#42 ·
It would be nice if we could just buy up front and have them shipped when ready...The other day I put it in my basket and thought I would see if there was anything else I wanted since I was making an order anyway, ten minutes later I clicked on check out and I got this msg that said "some of the items in your basket are now currently out of stock" I should have clicked check out as soon as I put it in my basket 😭...LOL.

But I would have no issue paying up front and waiting a few weeks for delivery, its winter here and the car is parked for a few months anyway as its not drivable in the snow since installing the IS38, just too much FWD torque for the icy roads even with the winter tires.

I cant wait to dump the ECU tune back to stock and run the IS38 with JB4 only!:biggrinsanta:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.