VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
3,481 - 3,500 of 3,588 Posts
I need to go through emissions testing so I'll need to unplug the JB4 from the OBD port. Am I remembering correctly that I first need to change it back to map 0, turn off the car and then unplug?

Thanks.

Discussion starter · #3,489 ·
I need to go through emissions testing so I'll need to unplug the JB4 from the OBD port. Am I remembering correctly that I first need to change it back to map 0, turn off the car and then unplug?

Thanks.
If you running newer firmware no need to go to map 0. Same applies for older software if the test is with the car stationary.

If you running newer firmware no need to go to map 0. Same applies for older software if the test is with the car stationary.
I believe I'm running JB4_EA888_8_5_1.hex, although I see you mentioned (on n54tech) that Alpha (JB4_EA888_8_8.hex) is now stable/latest. Is that correct? If so I'm going to flash first.

The car is stationary during the test, but with the engine on. So basically I'll pull up to the self testing kiosk turn off the engine and unplug the OBD. Then when I turn the car back on with their testing tool plugged in, there shouldn't be a problem right? When all done I'll plug the JB4 back in and be on my way.

Thank you.

Discussion starter · #3,491 ·
I believe I'm running JB4_EA888_8_5_1.hex, although I see you mentioned (on n54tech) that Alpha (JB4_EA888_8_8.hex) is now stable/latest. Is that correct? If so I'm going to flash first.

The car is stationary during the test, but with the engine on. So basically I'll pull up to the self testing kiosk turn off the engine and unplug the OBD. Then when I turn the car back on with their testing tool plugged in, there shouldn't be a problem right? When all done I'll plug the JB4 back in and be on my way.

Thank you.
Yes, there wont be a problem.
You can load the Alpha.

Can I use Map 3 on an otherwise stock Golf R (2017 US-spec w/6sp DSG) as long as I am running 93 octane and not run into issues? This is my first venture into adding power to the car and I don't have any of the bolt-ons at this point. Since I'm new to the JB4, I didn't want to start messing with Map 6 settings until I get more familiar with how this works.

I found this chart on the N54 forums which has quite a bit more maps listed that the list on page 1 of this thread:

Map 0: This is a stock map with JB4 logging ability. It is also the starter map for cars that are running flash tunes and are stacking the JB4.
Map 1: Tuned map with a average of 4.0psi over stock. This is the shipped map and is compatible for both 91 and 93 and can be used with cars on hardware.
Map 2: Tuned map with 5.0psi peak boost over stock. 93AKI/98Ron recommended
Map 3 Peak boost 6psi 93AKI/98Ron recommended
Map 4 Peak boost 6psi (Golf R and Audi S3 7speed DSG specific), it has a taper at higher rpm so will also work well for all on 93 in hot climates
Map 5 Absolute map peaking 25 tapers to 20psi. E30 with bolt ons needed. (not to be used on 1.8T or 2.0T Jetta)
Map 6: User adjustable boost map. The map comes preset with a 5.0psi over stock peak and is ready to use on any car running 93 octane. The preset map is also suitable for manual cars with clutch longevity in mind.
The mapping can be done in two manners. If the value at 1500 is kept below 10 it will work as a boost adder map. If the value at 1500 is higher than 10 it will work as a absolute map. This means actual total boost targets will need to be entered.
Map 7: Meth integration map using our FSB Meth controller
Map 8: This is a valet map/safety map where 50% of the boost is cut. It is also the starter map for cars that are running flash tunes and are stacking the JB4. It will give the ability to log the car via the JB4. This is also the safety map, so in any circumstance the JB4 detects a unsafe condition regardless of map it will default to this map. This includes knock detection, lean AFR or the boost safety value being triggered due to lack of boost control.

Thanks

I thought it was recommended to at least have an intake (or modded stock intake) for more airflow, not sure about Downpipe. George would know for sure.

Can I use Map 3 on an otherwise stock Golf R (2017 US-spec w/6sp DSG) as long as I am running 93 octane and not run into issues? This is my first venture into adding power to the car and I don't have any of the bolt-ons at this point. Since I'm new to the JB4, I didn't want to start messing with Map 6 settings until I get more familiar with how this works.

I found this chart on the N54 forums which has quite a bit more maps listed that the list on page 1 of this thread:

Thanks

Thanks
Yup, you should be fine on any of the 'standard' maps (1, 2, 3 or 4), though it's always worth doing a log on map 1 before you use any of the others to ensure that the AFR read is working correctly. Once you're sure all is working, you can double check and do a log with Map 2. Once that checks out, you're good to go.

Worth noting, even though you're running a DQ250, you can still use Map 4 with the higher RPM taper if you're in a climate with high intake temps.

I thought it was recommended to at least have an intake (or modded stock intake) for more airflow, not sure about Downpipe. George would know for sure.
A drop in filter would suffice I'd say, at least initially - I could be wrong, but last I heard there is still a fair amount of debate as to how beneficial intake mods are as the standard intake flows pretty good on these cars.

I'd say an intercooler would be the first mod to consider personally. I'm still completely stock (admittedly with a drop in filter) and I've had excellent results with just the JB4 and good quality knock resistant fuel, though my intake temps could definitely be lower.

Thanks for the responses!

I'll need to poke around to see how to read the logs. I pulled a couple but am not sure what I am looking at. I did bump it to Map3 as it seems to be running fine.

I may look into the intercooler in the spring. I need to reel it in a bit as I spent more on the car this year than I had intended (PS4S, TT-S brakes, JB4).

Thx again

Cars is 19 R stock just jb4

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
Run whatever map you normally run or want to see if you can use.

Start in 3rd gear at 2500-3000RPM - WOT but dont hit the kickdown switch - just 3rd gear is good.

3,481 - 3,500 of 3,588 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.