VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just finished doing my head gasket two months ago which includes the intake mani. upper and lower gaskets, tb gasket, valve cover gasket, timing belt, tentiner, vbelt and tentioner, water pump, termostat, water pump belt, spark plugs, wires. cap and roter have 10k on then..
i flushed out my coolent for an hour b/c i'm running g12 now....but i'm notecing that my coolent is leaking... i c that there is some wet spots around the plastic coolent conector on the side of the head with might be the cause of the coolent leak but i'm not sure..
to give u an idea i get the low coolent light every week...
as for the oil i just switched from gtx 10W30 to gtx 15W40.... it's only been 3000 km on this oil and it hasn't turned black like the 10W30...
so any ideas of whats going on... any help would be great... i'm thinking the head gasket is leaking???

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Re: burning.....oil and coolent (Horus)

If the black plastic coolant flange on the side of the head appears to be leaking then most likely it is. It's a problematic spot. There's an O-ring on the back side of the flange between it and the head. The O-ring swells over time and starts to leak. The coolant drips down on the hot tranny and evaporates, leaving no sign of coolant on the ground.
If you wipe your finger along the head below the coolant flange and if it's wet & dirty then it's the flange. You can get it at the $tealer for like $20 which includes the new O-ring and new O-rings for the sensors. You'll have to drain out some coolant before pulling the hose & flange.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.