VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have about 300 miles on my t3/t4 50 trim right now, ever since the install have been having some smoke at idle occasionally. its definitally oil burning, i was thinking it was the turbo burning it but i dont get any smoke when driving or underboost. im not running an oil restrictor so i was thinking it may be too much oil getting to the turbo. ive checked the oil everyday and it hasnt budged, no leaks i can see either. anyone have any ideas?

· Registered
7,340 Posts
Re: burning oil on b/t? (Luna_Tick)

when you ordered your turbo did you get a restrictor? check your oil return line, and your breathers. If all else fails kick joes but

How is she running other than that ? http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

PS: joe is my idol 4 life (its his hair that does it for me
)

· Registered
9,997 Posts
Re: burning oil on b/t? (Rippinralf)

The drain is angled kinda sketch... due to the marvelous ATP wastegate spacer/adapter. If at all, the way its angled, if it was backing up, it should be smoking worse when moving/accelerating. The only thing I can think of thats different between the car moving and idle is that at idle the shaft (compressor & turbine wheel) does not spin. Is it possible that some how the oil pressure and shaft not spinning at idle causes it to smoke? As soon as the car starts moving even slightly (including the turbo which clearly starts spinning 1000 to 1250 rpms) there is zero smoke... when cruising, when accelerating partial throttle, or when WOT and into boost. There currently is no restrictor.
What do you think Clay?
PS - Car scats like a scalded dog @ only 15.3psi. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Clay, just grow your hair out.

· Banned
12,633 Posts
Re: burning oil on b/t? (KrautFed)

Quote, originally posted by KrautFed »

That curly mop is well on it's way.
Yeah, I didn't like the looks of the angle on the oil feed and return line on Sunday.

· Banned
6,105 Posts

The drain is angled kinda sketch... due to the marvelous ATP wastegate spacer/adapter. If at all, the way its angled, if it was backing up, it should be smoking worse when moving/accelerating. The only thing I can think of thats different between the car moving and idle is that at idle the shaft (compressor & turbine wheel) does not spin. Is it possible that some how the oil pressure and shaft not spinning at idle causes it to smoke? As soon as the car starts moving even slightly (including the turbo which clearly starts spinning 1000 to 1250 rpms) there is zero smoke... when cruising, when accelerating partial throttle, or when WOT and into boost. There currently is no restrictor.
What do you think Clay?
PS - Car scats like a scalded dog @ only 15.3psi. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

this happened to me when I first installed my oil return...it was slightly kincked like you say and would burn oil @ idle but @ WOT also...oil return problem on my car...

· Registered
7,340 Posts

What do you think Clay?

what software is he running? Is it super rich? could that be mistaken for oil? I know the drain could be suspect, just clock it so the oil can drain as easy as possible. I've heard of it happening, sometimes but not always, it even happened on my friends old APR stage 3 car.
I'd toss a restrictor in there and go over all the hoses and such, make sure the drain is a good size. clean out the inlet and charge pipes and see what happens. I'm sure that you guys picked up in bama is fine.
I'd grow the hair but its damn curly and i'd look like james brown with white skin otherwise

· Registered
9,997 Posts
Re: burning oil on b/t? (Rippinralf)

Quote, originally posted by Rippinralf »

What software is he running? Is it super rich? could that be mistaken for oil? I know the drain could be suspect, just clock it so the oil can drain as easy as possible. I've heard of it happening, sometimes but not always, it even happened on my friends old APR stage 3 car.
I'd toss a restrictor in there and go over all the hoses and such, make sure the drain is a good size. clean out the inlet and charge pipes and see what happens. I'm sure that you guys picked up in bama is fine.
I'd grow the hair but its damn curly and i'd look like james brown with white skin otherwise

Running K03 software (unknown manufacturer, but it requests 15.x psi). Yes it runs rich but I am 100% sure its oil. We have reclocked the turbo twice now, but we are going to re-do the BS ATP wastegate adapter so that we can get a clean <30 degree angle for the drain. There is still less than 300 miles on the turbo.

· Registered
7,340 Posts

Running K03 software (unknown manufacturer, but it requests 15.x psi). Yes it runs rich but I am 100% sure its oil. We have reclocked the turbo twice now, but we are going to re-do the BS ATP wastegate adapter so that we can get a clean <30 degree angle for the drain. There is still less than 300 miles on the turbo.

thats a whak attack

· Registered
5,998 Posts

... but we are going to re-do the BS ATP wastegate adapter so that we can get a clean <30 degree angle for the drain.

youre drain is oriented more than 30 degrees away from straight down? isnt that way too much? im glad youre changing it.

· Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: (fast_a2_20v)

Quote, originally posted by fast_a2_20v »
FWIW garret spec on max angle from verticle is 15degrees

yeah we know, we had to overclock it to get the oil drain to fit, this still doesnt explain the burning at idle though, i thought overclocking the turbo led to oil being burned in boost, not at idle?

· Registered
2,827 Posts

you can check your chargepipe for ur intercooler for oil.. sometimes oil can get there without a restrictor.. but I just found my return line leaking and hitting the exhaust pipe which was causing smoke in the engine bay. Not a alot, but if I hit boost for awhile I notice it.. which is mostly from increased oil pressure. Check those two and let us know what you find

· Registered
4,487 Posts

Mine are blown right now and it's pretty spiradic. Never seen any smoke WOT but it'll burn off what's in the exhaust housing and DP when I'm sitting there at idle and the temps start to get up high enough to burn it off. Sucks to because I have a straight 90 dumped right under the car so sitting in traffic is a killer sometimes. Usually, after a good bit of driving and beating on it, it starts to go away...leading me to believe that they aren't quite blown enough to have a constant leakage that burns off but it just burns off what's on the surface.

· Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: (Johnny Blaze)

ill check the charge pipes friday, its not that big of a deal except if i have to sit in traffic i end up smelling like burnt oil when i get home lol, im going to see what i can do about a restrictor, you can make one cant you? anyone know of a dyi for this?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.