Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 393 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood

It’s back over at my mechanics he’s trying to figure out a brake leak, that’s his caddy. Saw him driving around in told him about the van and he just fixed it for me out of dub love I’m gonna hook him up with some parts for his mk2 coupe project but dudes a hero out here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
Glad to hear chris’ burnt toast is Choo-choo-ing :)

I remember when he first put that TDI in the kubvan, must have been 11 -12
years ago ..
Because after riding in his I had to have a Tdi in my mk1 and I put the same engine in a couple years later, using the identical pump setup.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well it was running pretty well until November 29th It locked up on Highway and the AHU Chris built is dead now I never could figure out oil consumption issue with it but that being said I have just finished paying my mechanic buddy for a 1z replacement engine

I have some questions he is hesitant to try to put the pump set up on it because it’s not really clear how to time it with this custom gear chris had made and some of his posts on here indicated he might have the injector lines coming out of the pump backwards to be right for vw engine instead of having pump timed 180 out like every other mtdi

Any guidance is very appreciated I have new gates timing set up and water pump to go on it too and I’m gonna keep the boost low to keep it going twice as long as a great man once suggested to me

Also planning on swapping in a new trans with engine as whole set up it is all from 97 tdi passat do you know if there was any work done internally to the trans Chris had in here?

As of now the ahu and trans is out and we’re just trying to figure out the timing for new engine

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Did snag a pic of the timing gear if the old engine wasn’t locked up it wouldn’t be as much of an issue but that’s further complicating things on top of this being a mad scientist creation that I’m in no way qualified to mess with but even my buddy who is ex marine diesel mechanic is confused by everything going on under the hood of toast

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
That old gear was made up by machinist buddy.
But should time like a standard diesel except that you want it at like 1.8 degrees other than the standard 0.9-100

Trans should be straight swap with his custom mounts. Lol.

I better not die so my truck doesn’t also confuse ppl.

It locked up?!?
Did you ever change the timing belt?
Oil consumption was almost a guarantee of the old 1.6 turbo.

I’ll try to pop back in and see if there’s anything I can help from afar

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It threw aux belt and had no water pump for at least a few miles on highway with big hills before it died all at once but the oil consumption was insane I was paying for the new engine already before the old one went out was just keeping oil in it but I was buying oil by the gallon for it had to drive it to and from work after the Toyota Echo I had been using died at like 256k

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I’ve replaced all the engine mounts and the front tube that he had front engine mount on that was like aluminum square stock is being replaced with square steel one that’s a lot thicker aluminum one was Broken in half lol

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I thought was turbo causing oil consumption too but I replaced it twice first with china one then with the 1.6 one china one died like fast because I didn’t know he had manual boost controller on here but after that I’ve had my friend work on it for me because I’m not trying to learn how to do stuff by trying to do it to the van he’s got a c10 4bt swap project and Is big into vw tdi so it’s better off with him messing with it than me but he don’t wanna break **** ether lol

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
I remember him talking about that pump pulley.

Why not get it centered, rotate everything to tdc, install your dial indicator and see where it’s timed to? Mark each hard line to the injectors. Shouldn’t be that difficult.

-Todd

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I will pass that info onto him too I think he is just being cautious he knows I can’t afford another engine I was lucky to be able to find a 1z I could afford

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Incorrect pump timing won’t damage the engine. You need to worry about incorrect cam/crank timing. If he’s a diesel mechanic then he should know the basic stuff.

-Todd

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don’t know ether way this is my first diesel that’s just what he’s been telling me the hold up has been timing engine he’s probably just been putting it off until today because I owed him money for engine until today or might be trying to keep me off the road in it since it’s still gonna need rear suspension and brakes I just replaced the brake booster and master with bigger one from mk2 old one was bad but new one instantly blew out rear lines the van basically needs redone completely but I can’t really afford it and I’m gonna have to drive it once the new engine is in it

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
Yea that’s Ohio, burst rusted brake lines.
Lucky that’s not an expensive fix.

I would recon it’s about time you learn about your machine and try to fix it without him.

You have a lot to be gained by injection pump timing. And lost!That alone makes it advantageous to do it yourself.

Because if your mechanic friend already is putting off timing the engine (which is actually set up to me MUCH EASIER than a sfock 1z.

Hell ona 1z you need a computer and vag com just to check it. And you have to loosen and rotate the whole pump, as well as loosen the lines and retighten them.
And the pump is often corroded and stuck in place due to neglect.

How likely is he to help you dial in the best setting, if he is acting like it’s harder than it seems. When the reality is you have an adjustable pulley and all u need is a few min to fool around with Allen keys.

If I had paid for 1/10 the work on my mTDI, well… than I wouldn’t have been able to afford it!!!

You act like it’s a bad thing falling back on a mTDI.
some ppl are forced to daily their 9mpg full sized diesels.
You have a kubvab

Rejoice.

For however daunting it may feel, you have a holy grail.
And it is a good thing :)

Keep it up brother man.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for your support. It means a lot you taking the time to reply to me.

I’m afraid to fail on the van.

But

“The greatest teacher, failure is.”

I really thought I was hot **** with Volkswagens before I got this van.

It scares the hell out of me to work on it.

It would be like letting somebody fingerpaint on top of the Mona Lisa.

I do what I know I am capable of but I’m not taking any risks with it.

It’s literally my most prized possession.

·
Registered
Nine diesels of which five are MK1 VWs
2,346 Posts
Thanks for your support. It means a lot you taking the time to reply to me.

I’m afraid to fail on the van.

But

“The greatest teacher, failure is.”

I really thought I was hot **** with Volkswagens before I got this van.

It scares the hell out of me to work on it.

It would be like letting somebody fingerpaint on top of the Mona Lisa.

I do what I know I am capable of but I’m not taking any risks with it.

It’s literally my most prized possession.

When you quote Yoda, you don't have to attribute. If you know, you know. You know?

Your trepidation around not breaking things or messing something up is a feeling that I share. IMO, that attitude may hold you back sometimes, but ultimately it will serve you well when you do dig into your driveline.

There's never been a better time to learn to do your own work. Tools (and some parts) are cheap and labor is expensive, if you can find it. You can do this!

Reactions: DeadInside

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Okay so he has the pump on the new engine I can’t find what accessory belt I need for water pump and 120v alt off crank he deleted ac and power steering and changed water pump pulley anyone have a part # for the belt

1 - 20 of 393 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.