VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 393 Posts

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
I’ll assume that’s the TDI harmonic balancer, since it appears everything else other than the water pump pulley is. You may want to figure out why it threw the belt. I spy missing bolts, but if you lost that pulley I doubt you found it after it flew off. I had the belt tensioner go bad, but the belt was still there and reusable.

6PK1045… I just learned this today, because the belt I bought was wrong. Always a problem… just placed my order.

-Todd

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
My belt tensioner went bad too it got all wrapped up and ripped the belt but bolts are missing because this was old engine set up in pic just pulley is there to show layout was coming off to go on new engine thank you for part number will report back progress

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
From running an identical setup for a decade I would recommend getting a clutched alternator pulley someday.

Running with a solid alternator pulley will cause the harmonic balancer to fail, and even worse can cause additional wear to the crankshaft gear.

But Hey man you’re doing great! Keep it up!
Hell yeah.
Not tryn to be a downer ;p

About that pulley… yeah the original alternator pulley is expensive. However you can install one from a Mk4 alh Tdi ($30 on Amazon). The pulley is slightly larger so the belt fits but is a little more snug. The alternator then turns a little slower and might save you a mpg or 2.

It’s not a show-stopper -not having one.
But I have not had a single belt failure since adding one.
And before that belts were never more than a couple years old when something failed.
Killed a harmonic balancer running a solid pulley. Killed a belt pulley or two.

And if it saves you one alternator belt it’s paid for it’s self.

The reason is that a 4cyl diesel moves in decisive separate movements with each combustion, and the alternator wants to spin smoothly so they “fight” each other through the belt.

These are amazing beasts.

Pita to fix
ESP just getting up to speed- first diesel!

But if you go a few extra miles, you can avoid much downtime.

I have scratched the belt# in the engine bay.
Because like you experienced when there’s no belt it sux.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I asked him to look around for one of the mk4 pulleys he mainly works on mk4 tdi’s there’s probably 6 of them at his shop but I’ll probably do that myself soon that’s a easy project for me the replaced engine has upgraded alt from 90A to 120A and I got 200w of solar for the roof too lol

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Thanks for the details though I did not know that was an option before you said something and that’s exactly the kind of stuff I need to be doing to the van anything that will make it last a little longer

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
I run the clutched/decoupler alt pulleys on my cars. As mentioned it will help save the crank snout, but from what I’ve gathered this was more of an issue on the IDI cars with the small keyway, when they went serpentine.

The TDI cars changed to a D shaped snout which isn’t bulletproof, but it is way more durable. Interesting fact about the clutched pulley is it wasn’t factory installed on the B4 TDIs, but was installed on the A3 Jetta TDI, of the same era.

I had 2 B4 TDIs and they had no snout issue, but I did upgrade the pulleys on both. When I upgraded, they were both over 200k miles, so take it for what it’s worth.

I’ve heard of people using the A4 pulley, but I think it throws the belt alignment off a bit. The correct part (028903119AA) is a bit pricey, but I’d rather have my belts aligned. I’d think that’d also have a significant effect on belt life. I used to be able to get a Gates 37010P for about $60, but a quick search shows that price has almost doubled.

I guess try the A4 pulley and make your own decision.

-Todd

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Wow thanks for the Info and part numbers I’ll definitely be changing that out soon and I’m just gonna see what I can find local as far as a vbelt though just to get it together and back in the van mostly because I don’t wanna be throwing little jobs like that on him but I appreciate it guys I wanna drive it a bunch so anything that will make it last longer I will spend money on within reason lol

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
He just sent me a video of it running but timing is still a little off he’s gonna retime it shouldn’t be long now

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
https://youtube.com/shorts/LUdgz8TKVN4?feature=share

Link to the video of the engine running really well. Turbo has some damage on intake side from old engine when the belt was twirling around and smacking the intake pipe knocked it off and it hit compressor wheel because I was running 1.6 style clamp on intake pipe not 1.9 style bolt on so now gonna probably try and swing a new turbo before we put it back in I do still have a vnt15 one we might use but sucks just redid down pipe for 1.6 style turbo and the turbo was mint before we put it on old engine lol it’s messed up looking on intake side now and has some blowby but yeah I will keep you guys posted

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
Glad she’s running!
I can confirm the Mk4 pulley is a direct swap.
Having owned a vw shop pretty much any Mk3-mk4 alternators are interchangeable.

I’ve swapped a lot of alternators LOL

Pulley in mk4 is larger but same offset.
But I’m running a Mk4 alternator just has a different plug. Same alternator for 10 years as the Mk3 worked but the bearings started throwing metal shavings and got very loud.

Deadinside: I’m sorry we haven’t had a little reunion (yet)

I’m not sure if you knew but right before crsmp5 came to work for me,( 2012, 2013??)

he drove the cubvan to Cali and flat towed a jackrabbit home with it!
He fell asleep letting his friend drive, and woke up to said friend hammering up the Rockies in Colorado and the head gasket blowing.

Crsmp5 promptly dropped him off at bus station LOL and proceeded to buy 30 gal jugs and poured water in every couple miles, from Colorado back to Ohio.

Not friends anymore ha!

So it’s no surprise the engine got replaced.
Keep the old one tho! And take your time and fix up a spare then nothing can stop ya!

Like nothing can stop mokoosh- he’s got like 5 complete drivelines after a few decades of steady work.

For the vnt15-I’m still a believer it’s the best turbo for the ahu/alh Tdi.
But it’s sucks. Redoing the exhaust is not fun, or easy!

The k14 is a great turbo too.
You got the new engine running!
Hell yes. So close!

Turbo is butter on top. I ran mine with no turbo (mk1 n/a downpipe went right on the ahu) for years, and had no problem doing 90mph. A n/a mTDI is as bulletproof as a mk1 driveline can be.
But a turbo makes it funnnn.
But it’s also fun to save a pile of cash when your spread thin

Hard first world problems we have ;p

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Thanks man I’m hopefully buying a new turbo this week.

I’ve been dealing with some bull**** with courts for the passed five months but it’s coming to a head so I’m probably gonna scoot out of Ohio once the van is done.

Don’t think it’s gonna be safe here for me anymore.

Link to Court audio, court starts at 11 Minutes.

I have ADHD so I start out kind of shaky but I take control of the proceedings pretty fast.

Basically so far has been.

Clinton County Assistant Felony Prosecutor (Resigned)

Blanchester prosecutor

Sitting judge for Clinton county municipal court (Recused now under investigation by Ohio State Bar)

Legal council for the city of Wilmington

Special Assigned Second Judge

Vs

lil ole Cody Jones

·
Registered
Nine diesels of which five are MK1 VWs
2,346 Posts
so I’m probably gonna scoot out of Ohio once the van is done.
Damn! A bit off topic, but a good listen. Way to stand up for yourself!

I've a bit of a penchant for speaking truth to power myself. 😉

You should cruise out to the Rabbit Ranch when you get out of Ohio. We're just a couple of tanks away at 50mpg. We've got tools and some knowledge. We'll help you put that turbo on if you want.

Reactions: DeadInside

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I will definitely come check it out. I am gonna order this used KKK ahu turbo off eBay I have a guy agreed to take like $108 for it but coming from out of the country won’t be here till early mid feb

I just got off the phone with the Clinton county prosecutors office. I called them and told them I want felony charges filed against the assistant felony prosecutor Katie Wilken for submitting falsified failure to appear warrant for my arrest July 27th 2021 for failure to appear when literally never in my life had I ever been in contact with this court before the charges were filed on July 27th 2021 they put me on hold for 30 minutes and came back telling me it’s a conflict of interest to contact Ohio attorney general (lol already did last month) I told them the call was being recorded and I had submitted my complaint to them and the onus was now on them to have it properly investigated if they cannot do it themselves they took my name and number and said they’d pass it along lol

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
Holy f0ck

That is one of the most terrifying posts I’ve ever read on the vortex.

My heart goes out to you brother man.

Godspeed for your turbo. Sounds like you found a good solution.

Yes. Yes Ohio if a fing scary place.

Good to have a good vw diesel to take you far far away.

Cramp5 and his dad Bob Scofield got into diesels because they could drive to Canada and go to “strip clubs” with the $ everyone else spent on fueling up their gas guzzler.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Read the description for the YouTube video contains a complaint I filed with the attorney Generals office yesterday and submitted to the clerk of courts to be published onto the public record for both cases.

I’m going to court tomorrow and I’m not agreeing to any alternative trial dates. They canceled the trial the cases need to be dismissed.
Will report back.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I didn’t get arrested but they are still pursuing it. I’m gonna just move out of Ohio **** is crazy here. If you do have old pics of toast throw them up on here

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
New turbo will be here tonight got a cheapy one for $230 off Ebay. Trying to have it together by the 12th for my birthday.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Lost some of the bolts to put turbo back on original manifold but that’s sorted now I had to order new oil feed line because I’m pretty sure I broke the one i had on one of the 5 turbos I’ve cycled through on it in the last two years lol but now waiting for oil feed line from cascadegerman

21 - 40 of 393 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.