VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello.. please bear with me I'm not the greatest in explanation. my 2002 Passat 2.8 GLX 4motion sedan climatronic, heater, front and back defrost, heated seats, cruise control, horn and all the buttons on the horn had stopped working.. the #5 fuse had blown and when I replaced it, it immediately blew again. so after the 3rd fuse it didn't blow right away and everything was working again..I started smelling burnt wires and seen smoke..I found the burnt wires in the connector on the driver side footwell next to the hood release. my question is, what could have caused this and what's the best way to fix this? Thank you lots in advance..
I have pictures I'm going to try to post here..

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
It could be the homelink visor if you have one. Repair the wires, unplug the visor and test for a short circuit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no I didn't put a higher amp fuse in. @PZ I do have a homelink in the visor and I will definitely try that. Thank you. can you please tell me the best place to get the wire diagram for this? I appreciate all the help I can get.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
The Bentley manual has all of the wiring diagrams.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
It looks like it's part of the dash harness, which would require pulling the dash out. Here is a pic of a dash harness (the larger bottom harness in the pic). Repairing it would be easier.

Reactions: thscott

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Indeed. It runs from the plugs on the bottom left side, to the ECU box, cluster and across the back of the metal dash support and down to the plugs on the right side. I swapped that harness into my car when I did a manual swap and a 1.8T swap. Now all the wiring is OEM.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts