VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 71 westfalia.... it starts, but takes forever to do so in the morning. It will start first try, but even with the gas pedal full out and choke out, it barely idles... after about 10 - 20 minutes of stalling and starting it eventually kicks in... even then I can't leave it idling or it will stall. When driving, it is very weak until high in the RPM, and 4th gear is uselss as it's bogged down and loses speed gradually. My top speed so far is 55 mph.
could it just need a carb cleaning (that's what I plan to do next)... any other suggestions?
Please let me know.
THANKS

[Modified by biggychase, 2:24 PM 11-28-2001]

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Re: Bus problem... please help (biggychase)

Its possible that its not adjusted right. Sounds to me like you have vaccum leaks tho.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Re: Bus problem... please help (PingPanzer)

could be many o things- start by checking simple stuff-timing, vacume leaks- fuel filter-plugs- and points. if it hesitates most likely carb or ignition- but if its just lack of power then might be fatal. make sure its hittin on all 4. check compression- u need atleast 65 lbs on all 4 to be ok. 100 is nice. point gap? valve adjustment? .006- did it run fine then all of a sudden start this? but like i'm sayin it could be anything without seein it. but if it were me id check timing first thing. and then therest of the stuff i mentioned. give me some more details. i can fix anything im vw superman!

·
Registered
27 Posts

Hmmm, I am still learning this air cooled stuff because I just purchased a 75 bus last month. It has dual carbs. I have learned that if you screw the left screw in too far, the bus will back fire on deceleration. I was told that the right screw is mostly for the idle. If you screw it out, you can hear the carb sucking down more air, and the idle rises. This last week, the bus has been getting slower and slower, so I think I am starting to run into a similiar prob. Try adjusting that right screw...maybe that will help...other then that, read the response above me. Good luck.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Vw superman, i have rebuilt my carb, this was needed, but the problem is still the same. I have not checked timing as I don't have one of them guns. I will try to get one. I know for sure I have vacuum leaks, in all three hoses, as they have slght cracks and are not attached by anything and occasionaly fall off. I haven't found a place to get new ones yet. still lookin.
I don't think it's fatal because it eventually does start working, it just takes forever. Could it possibly be the fuel pump??
It also sucks gas, I used 15 gallons in less than 100 miles. I will try fixing my hose problems and let you know how things turn out.
Thanks for the help. Any more suggestions, just let me know.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.