VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
(Edit). I think I might have found the issue to the problem I explained below. The 4 speed uses a different ball socket bushing than the 5 speed. 5speed uses 803 711 279 (which is what I have and is available from VW). The 4 speed uses 803 711 279 E which I can't find anywhere. Please let me know if this is the case and if you know where to get one. more in this old thread: Shifter bushing madness part 2

I cannot seem to get a bushing into a support rod within the 4-speed shift linkage. If anybody knows why or has a trick, please let me know.

Here's the pieces in question (the red is a bit of grease).

Hand tool Needle-nose pliers Wood Snips Body jewelry

The inside diameter of the rod is ~1/2in The exterior of the poly bushing is ~3/4 inch. Ack.

If you look at this diagram, we are looking at parts #24A and #36:

#24A is VW part #811-711-279. I ordered a replacement piece you see the pics.

#36 appears to be VW assembly #811711803A It came with the fox.

How the heck to I get this in? It seems entirely too big. The part numbers all seem to match up. Is it the wrong part? Maybe a 4speed vs. 5speed parts issue? Thanks in advance for any insight or advice.

Phacedown.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Correct, the 4 speed and 5 speed ball are different sizes. Also the two pivot bushings on the sides of the cage.

These are all hard to come by, they have to come from Brazil, and even there they're hard to find.
Thanks for the confirmation. Tonight, I cut my bushing up to make it smaller and it does fit now. Clearly a temporary fix, but it does shift pretty nicely for the time being. I will go looking for the right bushings.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts