VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
4,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Car left stranded on a busy road at midnight this weekend
Turns out my raxles axle snapped on me. I thought it was my clutch, as I've had stock axles go on me... but never like this!
What causes this to happen to upgraded axles and can I find a solution so this never happens again? I never drag/track the car...

· Registered
4,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Busted. (One Gray GLI)

Quote, originally posted by One Gray GLI »
Is your car lowered..? Probably the answer is gonna be yes.

Yes, B&G's with one finger gap in front.
Also, I don't launch my car. 1st gear is essentially useless for launching.

· Registered
11,806 Posts
Re: Busted. (RvGrnGTI)

Thats not that much, thats about what im putting through my TDI stock axles. If its not stupid low they should handle it. Call raxles and get them to warranty them

· Registered
2,080 Posts
Re: Busted. (KubotaPowered)

Quote, originally posted by KubotaPowered »
Thats not that much, thats about what im putting through my TDI stock axles. If its not stupid low they should handle it. Call raxles and get them to warranty them

I'd have to agree. 300 wtq shouldn't snap even a stock axle, let alone an aftermarket one. I call shenannigans(wtf how do you spell that?) on raxles!

· Registered
11,806 Posts

Even that low there shouldnt be problems unless youre making mad powah and then hit a dip in the road that makes your suspension articulate
On the MKIII at 390wtq the stock axles hold up but the bolts shear off in the drive flange

Modified by KubotaPowered at 12:34 AM 3-19-2008

· Registered
4,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

There's your answer as to why it broke...

Oh well, I give myself credit on blowing my third axle. This one actually snapped on me though. The others gave me enough warning to get rebuilt lol.
EDIT: [email protected] psi all day

· Registered
11,821 Posts
Re: Busted. (RvGrnGTI)

Quote, originally posted by RvGrnGTI »

Oh well, I give myself credit on blowing my third axle. This one actually snapped on me though. The others gave me enough warning to get rebuilt lol.
EDIT: [email protected] psi all day

i just blew my stock axle last week. not putting down much power either. its just the way it sits though. I asked marty when I was ordering my raxle if the lifetime warranty counts if the car is lowered, and he said yes IIRC.

· Registered
4,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: Busted. (KubotaPowered)

Quote, originally posted by KubotaPowered »
Even that low there shouldnt be problems unless youre making mad powah and then hit a dip in the road that makes your suspension articulate
On the MKIII at 390wtq the stock axles hold up but the bolts shear off in the drive flange

Modified by KubotaPowered at 12:34 AM 3-19-2008

Thanks for your input. It probably doesn't help that I have a beefy clutch that can take some abuse

· Registered
4,304 Posts

i just blew my stock axle last week. not putting down much power either. its just the way it sits though. I asked marty when I was ordering my raxle if the lifetime warranty counts if the car is lowered, and he said yes IIRC.

Good to know

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.