VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So i'm looking for a project car that comes cheap. like under 1k$
I've found a few, but it's tough to find a 1.8t quattro with manual.

there is a good body 1.8t quattro, but it's auto fs. cheap, 750 open to offers.
The auto transmission is blown, so it would have to be replaced anyways.

My other option is there is a very clean V6 manual for $1500 obo.

So I would probably want to swap the v6 out eventually, but at least I could drive it around and do all the suspension mods before having to deal with that.

Now my main question is this what do you consider easier, swapping the engine, or doing a auto to manual conversion?

That will help my decision. (note, I am mechanically capable of either, but laziness and time is a factor)
Thanks.

·
Registered
7,521 Posts
I am really very new to the B5 but from what I've heard it's a fair amount easier to swap the engine as most of your work is done up front. Supposedly a V6 to 1.8t swap is pretty straightforward. Swapping transmissions involves more work on the interior and underneath which is generally less pleasant and you'd probably want to pull the engine/trans anyway to do that.

One positive is that the V6 cars are typically in a little better condition for the dollar, and have much nicer interiors (IMO).

·
Registered
199 Posts
All b5 motors are easy to swap out all things considered. If you have a full donor car, all you really have to do is drop the subframe on both cars and swap them.

The tricky part from what I've heard is PFL to FL cars where they switch from cable throttle to dbw. You have to switch the pedals and a couple other things iirc. But like I said, if you have a full donor it shouldn't be too bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
99 a4 1.8t auto. Silver w tan int, its pretty nice. Only 550$. But the trans fluid pump is bad.
Im just too lazy to deal with lugging that heavy thing out of the car.

also i picked up a clean 225 mk1 tt that runs good also. Thats been taking most of my time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts