VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I Know this is a very bias/noob question. I'm buy a new car for autox and I'll also use it as a daily from time to time. I had a jetta 1.8t that I was going to autox but my addiction to power has made me out class it (ordering a big turbo and forged internals for all out power). So now I'm looking to buy a new car for autox.

What have you guys been successful with? I have a budget of $3000-$4000 to spend on the car. I'd also like to stay within the volkswagen world. Ive grown quite fond of my little vw :p. Unlike my last car, I want to start 100% stock and work my way up from there. So I'm really wanting a car that I can grow with.

Also I have a few friends that head out to a road course once or twice a year, so I'd like to go with them.

TIA for any help.:wave:

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Most fun for that money is probably a miata. I think you will have a hard time finding a VW in that price range that is still stock. I don't really agree with your criteria, but if I had to buy something following it, I'd go for an air cooled beetle or a MKI GTI

·
Registered
9,308 Posts
I would look for an older car. If you plan on sticking with VW's, a MK1 Rabbit or MK2 Golf would be good. If you wanted something different, Miatas can be found on the cheap as well as Civics; however, Civics tend to be modified/hacked by the previous owners.

I also suggest that you keep the car stock as much as possible for the first season. Learn the limits of the car before doing any modifications. Mods tend to mask driver errors and some can lead to placement in a class that you will not be as competitive in. You will also be able to live with it as a daily much better if left stock.

My GF and I have been racing an Audi TT 225 in stock trim and have been doing quite well in our class. We will more than likely only modify the wheels, tires and other small bits next season. Also, don't get an Audi TT. These things understeer as bad as a MK4 Golf. :laugh: Fauxttro

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
We started with a $1800 '93 Miata that we probably have $5K in right now (including purchase price). That would make a lousy E Stock car but is very good from STS and beyond.

To take a Miata to a track would most likely require a roll bar, which puts some unwanted weight in a very unwanted place, but whether that becomes a real concern for you depends on how seriously you're going to be taking your autocrossing.

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Pretty late reply, but if you really want to stick with VAG cars, I would suggest (as others have stated) an older model such as a MK1/MK2 since they are much smaller and lighter. Older Audis, such as the Quattro, might also be a fun choice.

Non-VAG, I'd go with a Miata or an older Impreza 2.5RS, or maybe even a 240sx. All three are relatively lightweight when gutted and there are plenty of mods out there for them. Plus AWD/RWD are always nice for things like AutoX IMO. :thumbup:

·
Registered
809 Posts
I autox a rabbit. I like it, fairly cheap can be stripped down in the 1500's. Mine is at 1508 with a big battery and still have the 5 speed.
1,508 lbs.... I want to see pics!!!
I'm assuming there isn't much left at that weight.

To the original poster, Miata if non-VW, otherwise a MK1 for autox but if this is a daily driver also, I'd actually do a 16v MKII instead. Those Rabbits are getting pretty old for daily use.

·
Registered
972 Posts
1,508 lbs.... I want to see pics!!!
I'm assuming there isn't much left at that weight.

To the original poster, Miata if non-VW, otherwise a MK1 for autox but if this is a daily driver also, I'd actually do a 16v MKII instead. Those Rabbits are getting pretty old for daily use.
Nope not much left.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y5...B-9CFA-A8E34896028D-2074-000001EBB20B4A29.jpg
Can't really tell from pics though. Kinda just looks like a car with no windows

·
Registered
809 Posts
Nope not much left.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y5...B-9CFA-A8E34896028D-2074-000001EBB20B4A29.jpg
Can't really tell from pics though. Kinda just looks like a car with no windows

Originally I was gonna call BS but an ep car without glass, interior, and deletion of all the unnecessary junk under the hood will come in at a very light weihgt so that make sense now. Noticed you still had the exhaust exiting out the rear so there is still weight to be lost! Awesome.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Originally I was gonna call BS but an ep car without glass, interior, and deletion of all the unnecessary junk under the hood will come in at a very light weihgt so that make sense now. Noticed you still had the exhaust exiting out the rear so there is still weight to be lost! Awesome.
Not gonna cut up my exhaust.
I've got a few more ideas on how to lose some more pounds.
Going to put a roll bar or full cage in soon and the goal is to not be over 1550.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts