VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
5,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
- 1989 golf gti 16 receiving a 9A block keeping stock tranny, being rebuilt -
ok... income taxes have treated me quite well this year and I have a bit of extra spending cash. I am purchasing a quaife to compliment my newly built 9A, lightend rods, knife edged crank, turn int. shaft, forged OS 83.5mm JE pistons, lightend flywheel, p&p head, HD valve springs, euro cams - (the WORKS)! I decided I am buying a quaife for my machine and I am looking for the best deal...
Anyone pick one up recently and if so what did you pay?
Is there one place you recommend purchasing from over another?
here are the options that I know of...
quaife of america VW - Type 020 - Rabbit, Scirocco, Golf 10.309.150 $895.00
futrell autowerks Quaife Limited Slip Differentials $850 ARP Bolt Kit $75
the scirocco dot com VW - Type 020 - Rabbit, Scirocco, Golf 10.309.150 $805.00
that's really all I had in my favorites of places to make a quaife purchase from. If you have any other places to recommend do so. As of right now "the scirocco dot com" is getting my vote. They have always had the best deal on the LS. Auto tech I believe catalog price is near 1,100. So if you have any ideas let me know, will be purchasing directly! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
5,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: buying a quaife - where's the best deal??? (BubbleBLOCK)

that doesn't help me any...
perhaps both of you could elaborate on why...

and are you speaking from experience??? I am doubting so, because if you have tried a quaife I don't believe you'd be saying such blasphemy. Then again maybe I am in the wrong... please correct.
EDIT: oh, and I would prefer a valid - not just a sound arguement as to why purchasing a peloquin is better than a quaife. I really have made up my mind, I am not looking for second guessing or opinions, quaife it is... just looking for the best deal.

Modified by BubbleBLOCK at 4:20 AM 7-17-2003

· Registered
567 Posts

BSI does excellent work for a reasonable price. See their website
http://www.bsiracing.com/ Price of the Quaife is only one aspect of the purchase, you need someone who knows what they are doing to install it. I have hammered a Quaife for 8 years and no problems. It's my understanding the Peloquin is a copy of a Quaife. I think Techtonics sells them.

· Registered
1,906 Posts
Re: buying a quaife - where's the best deal??? (Al)

Quote, originally posted by Al »
you need someone who knows what they are doing to install it.

anyone who installs a diffs in VW trannies is qualified enough. There is nothing more to it installation-wise for a Quaife than a regular diff.

· Registered
5,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: buying a quaife - where's the best deal??? (Gaunty)

Quote, originally posted by Al »
you need someone who knows what they are doing to install it.

It has been my understanding that these aren't rocket science when installing. The bolt kits are simple enough, and there isn't much work in getting the diff. to mount properly (not much to them at all). Only goes together one way. Oh and there are instructions...
Quote, originally posted by Gaunty »
Peloquin doesn't apply to 02A trans.

I believe mine is the 020 tranny (16v golf OE), the 02A trans. are for G60 and VR6.
All this talk and rereading of archived threads talking about peloquin is tempting me. The talk of stronger gears, stronger trunion shafts, lifetime replacement, comes pre-assembled and is cheaper than the quaife. Well, I will need to make up my mind very soon...

· Registered
892 Posts

There is a guy on here selling a 4K transmission with a quaife, whole thing rebuilt less than 1k ago all for $850. That is a deal, wish I'd sean it before I rebuilt my 2y. Good Luck...but seriously buy a peloquin.

· Banned
1,733 Posts

Peloquin. Better price, better construction, better warranty. Plus it comes with a bolt kit and the bearings already installed. There is no question.
Anyone can benefit from a Limited Slip Differential. You don't need a ton of power to see improvements in handling, track times, and even better, winter performance. My 190K mile 1.8L 16V is a completely different car now that it has a Peloquin diff.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.