VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The price on a used one has come down in the low 20's. I am particularly interested in the 2.0T and not the V6. Do these cars have any particular issues to look out for? Is the 2.0T the same engine used in all the other Audi/VW vehicles?

·
Premium Member
22,454 Posts
The Mk2 TT overall is pretty sound.

There is an issue with the taillights on some examples, so test all of the lighting functions. Window regulators fail. The aggressive seat bolstering often results in much wear on the sides of the seats. The leather on the bottom seat cushion is known to sag towards the rear of the seat over time.

The 2.0T engine was updated for the 2010 model year.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Mk2 TT overall is pretty sound.

There is an issue with the taillights on some examples, so test all of the lighting functions. Window regulators fail. The aggressive seat bolstering often results in much wear on the sides of the seats. The leather on the bottom seat cushion is known to sag towards the rear of the seat over time.

The 2.0T engine was updated for the 2010 model year.
Thanks. I did a wikipedia on this but no mention on what changed to the engine for 2010. What was changed ?

·
Premium Member
22,454 Posts
Thanks. I did a wikipedia on this but no mention on what changed to the engine for 2010. What was changed ?
Audi fitted the second-generation 2.0T, referred to as the EA888, from the 2010 model year. The EA888 offered more torque and various improvements. Someone else here with more EA888 knowledge should inform us of the details.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
The VR6 is the bargain even though a shade heavier.
Unless you find a low price TTS.

Try to buy an S-Line if you can. Nicer bodywork. The early models will be the current base body, and the later models have basically the same as a TTS except for the grilles and rear valance. Later models will have alcantara inserts and embossed seats. A very nice package. Also if you are test driving a base 2.0 S-Line look on the center console for the S button. This will enable the sport setting for the magnaride suspension. No button. No magnaride. 3.2 all had magnaride I think. could be wrong on that one. Definitely not all S-Line had magnaride. All TTS and TTRS have magnaride.

If it's a DSG, try to let it warm up a bit before you beat on it. If the DSG shifts are clunky before it's warmed up, it may not be a big deal. If the shifts are clunky after it's warmed up........ maybe not so good.

I mean noticeably clunky or lurchy, is bad, but usually they shift very smoothly, especially on the freeway.

My DSG has never been a problem, your results my vary.

Stupid large aftermarket wheels without proper offset will rub in the rears. I don't recommend 20" wheels even if you can fit them. Even with 19" and Magnetic suspension the ride is harsher than you might expect in sport setting.

Good luck on your search.

·
Registered
104 Posts
The 3.2 VR6 manual is a great combo...

...of course I'm biased. :D

The VR6 really isn't the boat anchor some would have you believe:

2.5 TFSI (RS) - 183 kgs (403.45 lbs)
3.2 VR6 - 169 kgs (372.58 lbs)
2.0TFSI - 152 kgs (335.11 lbs)

Good luck in your search!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Sorry, should clarify, early models had a "suspension" icon on the Mag Ride button.
Later models had an "S" button in the same location.

I think this changed with the facelift model change late 2010-2011-ish

·
Registered
956 Posts
Good luck in your search. I love my 2013 s-line competition. It is the 2.0t ea888 engine. I drove a tts and could not tell difference in power only that the ea888 motor came on at a lower rpm and less turbo lag. Dyno results show it to be under rated significantly by Audi. My theory is to not encroach on the tts territory. The ea888 is a much newer technology motor.

·
Registered
31,002 Posts
I have a '10 S-line and it's been great.

I added the APR stage 2 kit w the S3 turbo/downpipe after 3 years of ownership and it's a huge bang for the buck.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
I spent significant seat time in a TT-S and it was a really fun car. Felt plenty quick, sounded good, the interior isn't as unique as the first gen but still very nice.

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
Most of the ones in the low 20's are early FSI FWD models. They have some good points but also some bad points.

To date I've had to replace on the wifes 08 TT:
Cam follower
Passenger side window regulator
Piston rings
Diverter valve
Transmission seal
Engine and trans dogbone mount
Tail light wiring and plug melted on passenger side
Windshield started to leak (original never replaced)
PCV
Shifter paddle broke
Drivers side door panel came loose and needed new pop rivets. I'm assuming it was removed improperly at some point.

The good things are:
Just as quick as a manual 3.2
Averages 34-35 mpg at 70 mph on the way to vegas. It will do 28 mpg at a steady 85 mph.
Cabin still quiet with 75k miles on the clock
Alcantara doesn't burn your ass in the summer and has held up extremely well showing little wear after 75k miles
Aftermarket parts are cheap since most anything for MKV's fit.
Car feels light on it's feet. Significantly lighter feeling than the 3.2's i've driven. Really good turn in. It's amazing when you drop the belly pan and see how much aluminum they used on this car!.
Haven't ever experienced brake fade during hard extended driving.
Standard Halogen lights work very well and bulbs are much cheaper than the HID Xenon's.
Oil consumption down and haven't had to add any between oil changes since the rings were replaced.
Michelin just released the Super Sports in a run flat with the release of the net Vet. We put these tires on and it's like a whole new animal. I hate to say it but I know it's a faster car everywhere than my Z3 Coupe. If only it had the steering feel of my Coupe :(

The bad things:
Inside wheels spin when accelerating hard out of turns (much less after the new SS tires were installed but still noticeable if hard on the accelerator)
Steering overly light and vague feeling at slow or average speeds (one of my biggest dislikes about the car)
Carbon build up
DSG is jerky when cold and at slow speeds. It's really bad if parked on a hill at startup.
Nav is the worst I have ever used in a car this new
Bose stereo is Meh

I've often pitched the idea of getting her a new car but she loves the TT. With that said if a good deal on a quattro with the TSI motor ever pops up in a color combo we like we will probably jump on it.

If you are truly serious about buying a FWD FSI car I would have a good PPI done on it and try to not pay more than 17-18k for one. The prices have dropped significantly in the last year and I'm guessing they will continue to drop quite a bit over the next few years as they are getting to that age. The biggest thing to be concerned about would be checking the timing belt as most on the market are around that age/mileage where it's about that time for it to get replaced. The other big thing is the oil consumption. While it's considered normal to have add about a quart every few thousand miles ours needed a quart added almost every 1k miles. Luckily for us Audi took care of it and replaced the rings at no charge!

She's a lot bigger than she appears:

1 - 20 of 53 Posts