VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a general bit of info im after here. Im new to the country and looking to buy a Passat wagon shortly.
Im in Ottawa but have seen a few possibles in Quebec. How does it work regarding buying and registering. I have already bought a vehicle in Ottawa which was straight forward enough.
But if i buy from say a dealership in Quebec can they sort all paperwork and fees? Do i pay duty for both regions? this is new to me?
thanks

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
U pay tax based to the origin region.unless u don't drive it back from Quebec to ottawa.i thing u can pay 6% (i believe) in Quebec tax and the remaining in ontario after u register in ontario.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so id be buying in quebec and driving it back to ottawa. So do i get a temp plate from the dealer or what? if i pay quebec tax at the dealer do i then pay the ontario tax when back in ontario? less the amount ive already paid in quebec? is that right?

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Yes at least this is what i was told when trying to buy a car in montreal when i called ontario lic office.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Quebec Dealers close to the border are set up for Ontario purchases.

My GF bought a city golf in Hull and the dealer set up all the tax payment and licence plate registration all in Ontario paper work.

when we went to pick it up, it was a fully registered in Ontario car.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quebec Dealers close to the border are set up for Ontario purchases.

My GF bought a city golf in Hull and the dealer set up all the tax payment and licence plate registration all in Ontario paper work.

when we went to pick it up, it was a fully registered in Ontario car.
that sounds ideal. The ones ive seen were around montreal area

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
call and ask.
done! apparently they can do it. so went up last night 500km round trip:screwy: and back late last night. salesman left me a message on way up saying wouldnt be there and left me to deal with someone else. Ended up there for 3 hours bit of a joke their service was but the car seems pukka!
The sales manager seemed to think they couldnt plate if for me and i would be given the car on a temp plate. Not pleased after i was told different earlier. So agreed on a price and them to fix a couple of issues and it looks like it may be mine next week. Fingers crossed.
Ill post pics once its home

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Nice

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well picking it up on friday after bit more heated conversation with their staff today. They really aren't helping me develop positive impressions of quebec residents:banghead:
I spoke to 5 different people today at the dealer constantly being passed to someone else. ridiculous. ive worked in many dealerships and have never seen anything like this.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
French dudes with that attitude

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
not sure if you bought from PQ yet? but i have had several cars that my dad wrote off (VWs Jetta wagon and sedan ) end up in PQ with an after life .. In Ontario the insurance deemed it unsafe and costly to repair..

so before you buy any products be it demo or used in PQ - get the car fax on it.. I have had dealers call me saving your 'warranty' work is done, then I called up VW canada - saying don't honor the warranty this car is a write off..

so do your due diligence.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i got the all clear on mine. no worries. Main thing i liked was the VW dealer i bought it from sold it to the previous owner and he traded it back in to them for his new one. So they had serviced and knew the car and ive got all his service history too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.