VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it's my first time buying a car, the one I had was given to me, so I have a few questions because the car has been through a lot I'm guessing. If you guys could please give ANY input I'd much appreciate it, regarding anything! Price, maintenance, anything I should know.. Heres the ad:
Car could come ready to plate if you desire. Once again, WILLING TO NEGOTIATE
-----2000 Jetta 2.0-----CAR RUNS LIKE A TOP-----225,000 kilometers on the body, approx 90,000 on engine-----Commuter car/roadtrip car (used daily - 100+km/day on the highway)-----2nd owner-----5 speed-----Full size spare tire-----Sun roof-----Keyless entry----------Audible / Visable alarm-----CD/Tape/AM/FM player with aftermarket speakers-----AC blows cold, heater blows hot-----All electrical works fine-----Dark Blue in color-----Full sized spare tire-----Completly stock, never modified.--------------------------------------Car passed E test last year with no problems, and would only need a few things to safety. Willing to negotiate on having car cetified and e tested------------------------------------------------------------------------Engine - rates a 9.5/10 - Has just been freshened up and runs smooth (PLS see list of repairs / new parts below.) Well taken care of, regular oil changes and maintenance done. Former engine had a valve burn up as it got caught open. Car ran ok considering, but decided to go with a new engine to be safe. The car now runs as strong as it ever has. Reliable and great on gas. A lot of fun to drive!! Mechanic maintained!!----------------------------------------------------------Body - rates a 6.5/10 - The car is used as a commuter car only. LOTS of HWY KM's and hence stone chips on the front bumper, edge of hood and a few small dings and surface scratches here and there from inconsiderate people in parking lots. Nothing major or nothing that you would notice from a distance. A coat of wax would bump the rating to 8/10. Like I said, mostly surface stuff.....----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Interior - rates a 8/10 - Car is used to drive to and from work, not much else besides the occasional roadtrip. CAR WILL BE DETAILED PROFESSIONALLY before being handed over. Small rip in the shifter boot but no rips tears or significant wear on seats or anywhere else in the car.
- Used engine (approx 90,000km on it now)
- Brand new waterpump
- Brand new timing belt
- Brand new Speed Sensor
- Brand new 02 Sensors
- Brand new Airflow Sensor
- Brand new valves (reconditioned head)
- Brand new ball joints
- Brand new coil packs
- Brand new Tierods
- New battery (less than a year old)
- Brand new AC Compressor (INSTALLED TODAY)
- Brand new Serpentine Belt (INSTALLED TODAY)
Car needs (AND I AM WILLING TO FIX)
- Front Tires
- Chips in windshield repaired. (3 seperate stone chips, no cracks, just small chips)
- Parking brake cable
- A fresh coat of wax
haha so there you have it, he originally wanted $6k but we worked out a deal, $5k and he'd throw in the tires to pass saftey, good deal? bad deal? heres what he said about the rest:

"The windshield, well, it depends on who does the safety, it may very well pass. As stated previously, the windshield is “chipped” not cracked. I talked to a mechanic friend of mine and most guys would let that go as none of the chips are in the driver’s line of sight.
The ebrake is sticky but works. The two side mirrors are cloudy but you can see fine. The paint has some dings, but nothing serious by any means. A coat of wax would make this car look like a million bucks"

So my question is, how much will wax, parking break cable, and a windshield run me. Also, does it look like anything else will need to be replaced in the near future? Also, he said he wants to sell the car "as is" so I'd need to get the safety done, how much does that run me? What should I look for when I go see the car? Absolutely any info would be appreciated cause like I said, its my first car purchase.
Thanks a lot guys!

·
Registered
28,779 Posts
Re: Buying my first car, an 00' Jetta 2.0 GL (Inferno69)

Have the front window regulator clips been replaced? When and with the old (fragile) or new (durable) versions of the parts?
Why did the first engine fail if the car was "well taken care of" and used mainly in (gentle) highway driving?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm, I don't think the window regulator clips have been replaced. I could ask him if you'd like.
Also, I'll have to ask him about the engine also, but you do raise a good point, although he is the second owner so maybe the first one was the careless driver. Also, what are some other good ways to check if the engine has been maintained well besides the oil cap and the overall cleanness of the engine? The more info the better. Thanks :

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright, here is what the guy said about the engine:
"The engine was replaced when a valve got hung open. The valve burned up. I could have just replaced the head, but I took the safe route and replaced the entire engine to prevent possible chunks of valve from eating up the engine months/years down the road."
Guys, I seriously need some insight on this/Jettas in general, as I'm debating on buying this or a 96' Honda Accord. I realize that VWs aren't as reliable as Hondas, and I'm not really wanting to spend a lot on repairs, so what can you guys tell me knowing what this car has already had replaced? What will need to be replaced in the near future? Anything!

·
Registered
120 Posts
The chips in the windshield are no big thing. There is a company that can fix them if it is smaller than a dollar bill. glass masters i think? and its cheap. You can probably get the parking break cable for less than $20 new.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.