VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm buying my first Volkswagen soon, hopefully a GTI. However my whole family is trying to talk me out of it because none of our mechanics work on vws and they're "too expensive to fix". In your guys's experience, how much more expensive to fix would you say they are/are they known to break often and should I be concerned about buying an older model (06/07?) with more miles. Do they tend to run for a long time? What about warranties? Would you recommend one? I'm trying to leep my payments down but still get a car i really like, looking to spend no more than 15-16,000. Any suggestions you guys can make to me would be greatly appreciated and anything to help convince my family that vws are good cars! Thanks:)

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
they are generally more prone to "issues" and maintenance costs are up there

if you're looking for performance, many models do have a sport trim

use your resources....so if you have family connections that can repair a certain make, you're lucky

if you're looking at $15-16k, are you financing...if you're upside down , you'll be paying double over the long run too

fun is over-rated sometimes, lol

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I will be financing about $10k. I just want to get a car I'm going to love and not want to trade in after a few months. I know I love the GTI but is it worth the extra upkeep? For that price I could practically get a brand new car that I'm not going to like as much but won't have to worry about all those things I will worry about with a used vw. I was at the dealership the other day and he was telling me all their certified pre owned cars come with 2yr/24,000miles warranty so I was thinking that could be a good option. I want a car that is going to make me happy everyday I get in it and not have to wish I had got something else.

·
Registered
9,823 Posts
If you know the car you want, the best bet would be to read up in the MkV section on the car. I know the early 2.0T engines had some issues. But get some real information from people who own them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.