VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...=WDVW

Just want to go this through one more time so later if I were to have a problem, someone won't go "n00b, you shoulda known that!" or whatever. I am buying that DP (pretty sure megan), welding to stock cat and replacing muffler with 20th. Here is a diagram
2.5EbayDP->StockCat->StockResonator->20thmuffler
Also, over time, will the pipe get dirty? I want it to get dirty so it looks like the ugly piece of poo stock DP so my dealership woudln't question me about it and if they asked, i'd tell them I got the Drivers gear muffler that added "mad hp, like 10 to the wheels!"

Also being welded to stock cat and other OEM parts, it would look stock
Would this all look good? I don't want any CEL's

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Re: Buying this DP, everything look good? (vwgtijdfljasfljdlj)

Yes over time the pipe will get dirty no matter what. Secondly, what's up with the placement of those O2's?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Re: Buying this DP, everything look good? (Satummoo)

i've heard of people doing this... as a matter of fact, i entertained that idea for awhile myself but couldn't find anyone to weld it for me. what's your plan? any interest in getting two made at the same time??

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote, originally posted by vwgtijdfljasfljdlj »
looks fine but it will throw a cel. but the power will be there. why not just go with the 3 inch ones from ebay or the megan 2.5 inch.

I heard 3'inch will throw a CEL, also, why would it rhrow a Cel is I hook it up to stock cat?

·
Registered
126 Posts

No matter what you do your dealer will see that its not the stock downpipe, you'll understand what I mean after you take it off. Its massive. I'm also a little nervous about the location ofyour 02 sensors. You need 1 before and 1 right after the the cat. I have a techtonics tuning full turbo back system and I love it. I have read so many people having problems with other downpipes and cel's. I haven't had any yet as far as exhaust goes. KNOCK ON WOOD. I also don't understand why people want to still use their stock cat. tt systems come with High flow cats so the cel problem is all good and also your gonna get a lot more flow. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif. It's more money but you know, when it comes to German Cars...Do it right the first time...

Modified by N8's 1.8 at 9:32 AM 7-25-2005

·
Registered
240 Posts
Re: Buying this DP, everything look good? (N8's 1.8)

Quote, originally posted by N8’s 1.8 »
...I also don't understand why people want to still use their stock cat. tt systems come with High flow cats so the cel problem is all good and also your gonna get a lot more flow. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif. It's more money but you know, when it comes to German Cars...Do it right the first time...
Modified by N8's 1.8 at 9:32 AM 7-25-2005

This is a common misconception. I've talked to quite a few people 'in the know' and they say that the stock cat is about the most high-efficiency, high-flow cat you can get. The restriction is really in the turbo-cat connection, a seriously bent-up pipe. The CELs in aftermarket systems come becaust most of the high-flow cats they put in the performance DPs really dont' do their job.

Modified by StillStock at 12:38 PM 7-25-2005

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Buying this DP, everything look good? (N8's 1.8)

is everyone not reading my post?
I"M HOOKING TO STOCK CAT WHICH ONE SENSOR IS AFTER THE CAT

The only part i'm using of that is the DP, the imatation cat is not being used, so there would be one 02 sensor on the DP it's self and on after because of the stock cat.
unless i'm wrong about this and being ignorant, but the way I understood it was that one 02 sensor is on the DP (which it is shown to be correct) then one 02 sensor AFTER the cat (which is shown incorectly in picture, but since i'm using stock cat, the sensor would be after like OEM)
Here is a pic

Modified by Satummoo at 12:22 PM 7-25-2005

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Re: Buying this DP, everything look good? (StillStock)

you're going to hoook into the stock cat? Are you prepared to do some welding?
Additionally, it's not the DP that causes the CEL it's the CAT. If you're going to magically mate this DP up to the stock CAT then you'll be fine. Once you realize the work involved in doing that isn't worth it, you'll most likely get a CEL unless this CAT is above 400 cell count.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Buying this DP, everything look good? (GT_Series_18T)

so do you guys think I should just instal my 20th muffler and wait down the road and a full TB? Becuse it seems the gains aren't worth for a stock cat mounted to a DP?

·
Registered
6,958 Posts

Do u have a chip? I ordered an OBX dp 3" no cat, got it for 150 shipped w/ a lifetime warranty, I have revo and w/ 4 bar (stage 2) their is no cel....u can also buy high flow cats off ebay for like 80 bux, id get a 3" dp and a 3" cat and step it down to fit the 20th exhaust......the biggest gains are in the dp anyways...I just had a shop bend me up some 2.5 inch pipe and throw on a magnaflow muffler ( and no the bends aren't crush)

Modified by DubTron41 at 6:59 PM 7-25-2005

·
Registered
1,194 Posts

I think you should buy a downpipe without a cat, but a good high cell cat from jegs or atpturbo (I think they sell one), and then get a reducer exhaust sleeve to mate it to the stock catback and be done with it.

·
Registered
126 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Satummoo »
is everyone not reading my post?
I"M HOOKING TO STOCK CAT WHICH ONE SENSOR IS AFTER THE CAT

The only part i'm using of that is the DP, the imatation cat is not being used, so there would be one 02 sensor on the DP it's self and on after because of the stock cat.
unless i'm wrong about this and being ignorant, but the way I understood it was that one 02 sensor is on the DP (which it is shown to be correct) then one 02 sensor AFTER the cat (which is shown incorectly in picture, but since i'm using stock cat, the sensor would be after like OEM)
Here is a pic

Modified by Satummoo at 12:22 PM 7-25-2005

Is this a system pictured here a new downpipe welded onto the stock cat? That looks nothing like my stock DP.

·
Registered
990 Posts

i bought the same downpipe...and had the shop weld on the stock cat...it works fine and sounds pretty good....but i have no idea what that cel stands for that everyone is talking about....if i knew i would know if i have that or not...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.