VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Buzzing sound coming from engine or firewall area

8K views 27 replies 16 participants last post by  Hvacrmike70 
#1 ·
Is anyone else experiencing this? I have a slight buzzing sound coming from either the back of the engine or the firewall.

Has anyone experienced wastegate rattle on the R?:confused:

#9 ·
I get a rattle between 3000 to 3500 RPM. Only does it under load and while increasing RPM slowly. Its louder when the engine is cold, gets significantly quieter after the car warms up, but doesn't completely go away.

What's the TSB # ? I'd like to see if I can get a wastegate clip from the local dealership too.

#12 · (Edited)
Similar thread talking about the same sound I think...
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?6008347-Rattle-under-acceleration&p=81592602

I get a rattle between 3000 to 3500 RPM. Only does it under load and while increasing RPM slowly. Its louder when the engine is cold, gets significantly quieter after the car warms up, but doesn't completely go away.
I too get a metallic ticking sound when under acceleration right at 3k under boost. :banghead:

It's definitely not the soundaktor... that thing was unplugged a while ago. I want to get rid of this sound! It's freaking me out.

#14 ·
I did some searching today and found this...
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47471

These people have the same engine and are experiencing the same sound I am from their descriptions.

Quotes from this other thread:
Had the same issue with my '07 Audi S3.
The sound comes from underneath the car right side. You need to remove the long undertray under the car (passenger side), and there you will see the fuel lines fixed with something like a polyurethane sponge that sometimes doesn't stay foxed on the car floor properly. It is located near front right wheel.
search for this on GOLFMKV.com. There is a nice DIY there that is a simple 5 minute fix. Basically pull that huge panel under car, pack something around the rattling fuel lines and reinstall cover. Easy fix and you will be 1,000x happier without that rattle!
Did more searching and found the DIY they are talking about. Worth looking into for sure. I hate this sound!
http://golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18277&highlight=fuel+lines

#15 ·
The dealer had ordered the wg clip but when they tried to put it on, they realized the clip only worked for the TSI engine. So back to the drawing board. They offered to keep the car for a few hours while they tried to figure out what was causing it but its on the mild side so I think I'll just keep it the way it is.

#16 ·
Yup, I'd be surprised if the clip worked on both the TSI and FSI. Please keep us posted!

#17 ·
Bump this ****.
I'm getting a rattle that is driving me ****ing nuts.
Doesn't happen all the time, so I can't exactly replicate on demand. Only while driving, I tried to replicate while standing, and revved up to 6k without hearing it.
Seems to happen when car has a bit of load to it around say 2-3k?
Sounds like a loose heatshield kind of noise?

I have my side panels removed, hopefully the fuel line thing would be the quick fix for it.

#21 ·
Like Nuc1ear_Rabbit said, this sounds like the same issue we were trying to resolve in the other threads. Best guess is under light throttle the wastegate is flapping, making the noise (not sure if this is even possible) but goes away as soon as more boost is required, so the wastegate closes completely.

I took mine to the dealer and they shrugged saying "no idea". No one thus far has experienced any kind of failure associated with the noise so for now, we wait and see. I've just tried to avoid that rpm range by up shifting or downshifting.

#22 · (Edited)
It appears this is related to while driving but since we're on the subject of noises from the engine, I do here a buzzing sound from the engine after I stop the motor. It lasts for about 20 minutes and then goes away. It happens every time I stop the motor. It's very faint and I can only here it in the garage when it's absolutely quiet. Could be an oil pump to the turbo to keep it cool after engine shutoff? I noticed this day one after I bought the car. I'll visit with a VW tech for another matter but will ask.

Update: VW tech I spoke stated it was indeed a turbo timer with oil and coolant being circulated through the turbo to help cool it down after engine shutdown. Very nice feature to extend the longevity of the turbo.

#24 ·
I've experienced something similar and here is what I think...

It's the shifter linkage that rests on the giant 42DD DP 3" pipe. According to 42DD it is perfectly fine for the linkage to rest on the DP because it is wrapped in that metalic sleeve. My guess is that that metal sleeve is causing that anyoing sound.

From your sig, it looks like you have the same 42DD DP I installed.

Just my $0.02

#27 ·
I'm hoping to get mine up on a lift today and might have more info afterwards. Anyone else discovered anything?

Maybe a good place to start would be to compare mods to see if there is some commonality? HPA dogbone, tune, other possible suspects?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.