VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, today I was on my way to work around 9 am and all of the sudden my clutch started to slip, for those who don't know. I put my foot on the gas and it just revved up and the car didn't move. Also, there was smoke coming from the engine bay down near the exhaust. I took it to Southern VW, big mistake I might add too. I tell them the clutch is slipping and I would like to have a new one installed. I already know that a clutch is a wear item and that I would have to pay for it, no problem, just get a new one in there. They said okay, and had a technician drive with me to show him that it was slipping cause apparently they didn't believe some stupid kid. They get back and the tech confirms it, and they would call me when it was completed. A few hours later I get a call and say that they have to take apart the transmission to "figure out the problem". I told them and the tech told them that the clutch was the problem and it only needed a replacement. I'm at my buddy's house at this time and I told him what the problem was and he too told me it was the clutch. I still don't understand why they had to take apart the transmission. They do it anyway, and I get over there and I see a hole in my differential, my transmission gone, my intake in some ****ty box all torn to hell, and then they are saying it's my fault because I "race it". A technician was talking about me when I walked up after I said I don't race it. "Why would you put a cold air intake on the car if you don't race it..." I told him it was for the gas mileage, being a real smartass to, and also, I was yelling at him because he appeared to be a dick head know it all. I go up to the front desk, and say okay, is this covered under warranty? The receptionist tells me a firm, NO. I said why? The lady says, it's a wear item. I said, i'm sorry I don't understand how a transmission is a wear item.. She couldn't explain it to me, neither could the technicians, or the manager that was there at the time. After this happened, my friend arrives and I begin taking all of my belongings out of the car and proceed to take my intake, that I paid for, and installed on my car. The manager rushes out to me and says, "You can't take that.." I said "Why the **** not? It's my property I paid for it, I put it on, you didn't do ****" He said that there was a VW Rep coming out to take pictures, and then he wouldn't explain to me why they had to take pictures of my busted ass car. I left the dealer, angry, annoyed, and upset. My car is sitting in the lot right now, no transmission. When I went in there to get a replacement clutch. I will never go back to that dealer as long as I live. They are all a bunch of thieves and ruined everything. Oh yeah, I almost forgot. It's going to cost me to 5.5k to get a replacement transmission. This is great, because now I have to take it out of my savings account to pay for something that they did. Such a great day.

Let me know if anyone else had the same problem. I'm not going to pay for this, and I will be contacting my lawyer and VWoA.

Modified by UGRabbit at 9:30 PM 5-14-2007

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Re: Bye Transmission (UGRabbit)

If a CAI voids anything, it would only be the sensors connected to it... I could maybe see a concern about a poor filter allowing particles into the engine, but still...
Frankly, it doesn't matter if you "race" it or not, the transmission should still be covered under warranty. You've got a rev limiter and a speed governor that are supposed to stop you from being able to kill the transmission like that. Unless you've touched the transmission in some way or another, you shouldn't be able to void the warranty on it.
... that sounds a lot like the differential rivet problem in the 020's. Or they did something very, very wrong when they installed the clutch.
You might want to ask them why VW says the 170hp 2.5 is supposedly going to have an "improved" transmission.
VW's dealers don't all have the best reputations, but VWoA has been trying to take care of that.
Do some searches... I know something's been mentioned before about this, actually.

Modified by ninety9gl at 12:48 AM 5-15-2007

·
Registered
872 Posts

Sorry for you, man... I've seen several posts here about broken trannies, try to post in main forum. But as far as I know, transmission has to be covered by dealer.

Modified by KoF at 9:55 PM 5-14-2007

·
Registered
273 Posts

Damn that's messed up. Hopefully VWoA will do something about it. If not I definitely think you have a case here. Having a CAI does not mean you race it, that is just a stupid unfounded accusation they are using to try and rip you off.

·
Registered
1985 VR6 Cabriolet
1,439 Posts

I have had several of my customers have to have clutches replaced on the Rabbit and 2.5L Jetta's. They definitely were not racers. The clutch is a wear item but is covered for 12 months or 12,000 miles under the VW warranty to the best of my knowledge. Check your owners manual under the warranty section. As for the intake the only thing it would void would be something they can prove caused a problem related to the motor and intake. Sounds like a bunch of crap to me but that is my $.02. Get VW involved and start looking for a new dealer. Vw is a great brand and does not want unhappy customers and most service managers and writers don't even know what an intake is. Just keep your cool when you go in you always get more accomplished when you are pleasant.

·
Registered
491 Posts

Observation... racing is abuse and abuse is definitely cause for general voiding of your warranty. Read the warranty booklet in your manual, it's spelled out pretty clearly, and read the language from the point of view of VWoA protecting themselves.
That being said... the intake alone surely can't be their only evidence of racing. If it is, you got a good case with VWoA. BUT... I recall a VW tech posting a pic a while back of a tranny with a hole in the differential case (you DID say your diffy case had a hole in it, didn't you???), his point was it's caused by a shaft breaking loose and punching through. The oil leaking onto the clutch would cause it to slip... you think all you got is a bad clutch (cause it slips and smokes) but it's much worse.
The shaft breakage is caused by the wheel suddenly grabbing when it's been slipping (as during a burn-out). THAT is much better evidence of abuse/racing.
Finally: the dealer is probably just following procedure; they gotta do what they gotta do. VWoA has lattitude: they are your friend. Make your case that just an intake isn't evidence of anything and go from there.

·
Registered
9 Posts

Quote, originally posted by UGRabbit »
Well, today I was on my way to work around 9 am and all of the sudden my clutch started to slip, for those who don't know. I put my foot on the gas and it just revved up and the car didn't move. Also, there was smoke coming from the engine bay down near the exhaust. I took it to Southern VW, big mistake I might add too. I tell them the clutch is slipping and I would like to have a new one installed. I already know that a clutch is a wear item and that I would have to pay for it, no problem, just get a new one in there. They said okay, and had a technician drive with me to show him that it was slipping cause apparently they didn't believe some stupid kid. They get back and the tech confirms it, and they would call me when it was completed. A few hours later I get a call and say that they have to take apart the transmission to "figure out the problem". I told them and the tech told them that the clutch was the problem and it only needed a replacement. I'm at my buddy's house at this time and I told him what the problem was and he too told me it was the clutch. I still don't understand why they had to take apart the transmission. They do it anyway, and I get over there and I see a hole in my differential, my transmission gone, my intake in some ****ty box all torn to hell, and then they are saying it's my fault because I "race it". A technician was talking about me when I walked up after I said I don't race it. "Why would you put a cold air intake on the car if you don't race it..." I told him it was for the gas mileage, being a real smartass to, and also, I was yelling at him because he appeared to be a dick head know it all. I go up to the front desk, and say okay, is this covered under warranty? The receptionist tells me a firm, NO. I said why? The lady says, it's a wear item. I said, i'm sorry I don't understand how a transmission is a wear item.. She couldn't explain it to me, neither could the technicians, or the manager that was there at the time. After this happened, my friend arrives and I begin taking all of my belongings out of the car and proceed to take my intake, that I paid for, and installed on my car. The manager rushes out to me and says, "You can't take that.." I said "Why the **** not? It's my property I paid for it, I put it on, you didn't do ****" He said that there was a VW Rep coming out to take pictures, and then he wouldn't explain to me why they had to take pictures of my busted ass car. I left the dealer, angry, annoyed, and upset. My car is sitting in the lot right now, no transmission. When I went in there to get a replacement clutch. I will never go back to that dealer as long as I live. They are all a bunch of thieves and ruined everything. Oh yeah, I almost forgot. It's going to cost me to 5.5k to get a replacement transmission. This is great, because now I have to take it out of my savings account to pay for something that they did. Such a great day.

Let me know if anyone else had the same problem. I'm not going to pay for this, and I will be contacting my lawyer and VWoA.

Modified by UGRabbit at 9:30 PM 5-14-2007

Quote, originally posted by Exton_Dubs »
Just keep your cool when you go in you always get more accomplished when you are pleasant.

1. There are 11 techs at SO. VW 7 of them frequent M.I.R. (Maryland international raceway) they all can vouch for your car being there "racing" your car also has the decal that is given to each car that participates in an actual "racing event" (just for your info this information can be obtain from MIR with a court order your lawyer might know that also)
2. The clutch is a wear item "VWOA" will not pay for your clutch it will be this dealership that eats the cost of your clutch, but you still want us to give it away to you. Clutches are warrantied for 12 months 12k miles.
3. No one here at this dealership ever called you stupid or said you were stupid you have a guilty conscious.
4. As you can see in the pictures of your transmission, it has never been taken apart, it has been removed from your car, theres no need to take it a part the hole is pretty clear.
5. The "intake situation" our primary concern with the ****y box was the fact it had ever bolt, nut and shield etc, removed from your car in it and that is why it was just a little important to us to keep the box, you would have it 5 minutes and we would never have the correct parts to put your "race car" back together. You are more then welcome to stop by and pick your ****y intake up (it was the only thing ****y in the box) we have pictures of that also.
6. "something that we did" We put a hole in your trans case? It sure does seem that you are implying that. No it wasn't us that put a hole in your trans case it was the differential that you blew apart. Probaly down at M.I.R.
7. You never once cursed to any employee of this dealership that is something that I think you are not even that dumb to do 7 or 8 employees standing around and you think your going to go off at the mouth and walk away especially to the "service writer" you are talking about he nor anyone here would stand around while that took place.
8.VOA is going to see a copy of this thread how much help are they going to give you.
9. You will be paying for this

There seems to be this misconception about dealerships, for example we do not pick and choose what is warranty and what is not we are told by VOA you will be paid for what is warranty and what is not. Its not like we can hook you up with a trans, once vwoa gets it back and sees you blew it up they will kick back our warranty claim and we will have to eat it. We do not eat anything, if vwoa doesn't pay for it the customer does.
10. On previous occasions your cars has been here at this exact dealership, and was noted for the obsessive wear on your tires, this was brought to your attention also by the "service writer"
11. "Gas Mileage" I have never seen anyone purchase a CAI for better gas mileage seems a little ignorant to try and pass that off. If you wanted better gas mileage then get a K-N drop in filter that's going to be your best bet.
12. Who at this dealership stole from you, by all means if you can prove some here stole from you that person will be fired no one here is allowed to steal from any customer you stated we are a "bunch of thieves" what was taken from you?
13. You are not a tuff guy you weigh about 130 kinda reminded my of napoleon dynamite with no glasses , all you are an "internet tuff guy" you are tuff with you fingers and a key board but when it comes down to it you would never show up here at the dealership and act the way you claim to have acted as the last post said "Just keep your cool when you go in you always get more accomplished when you are pleasant"
Let me know if theres anything I missed we are open until 8pm if you want to come get your intake or be a "cool tuff guy".
Just grow up, its ok you raced your car everyone knows it you have the sticker to prove it and when your lawyer gets involved you nor him will have a leg to stand on. Don't bash dealerships, bash VWOA we would love to put a trans and clutch in your car and have them pay for it, but it just isn't that easy. Doesn't everyone get it we would love to give everything away to the customer and have VWOA pay for it we win and you are happy as a pig in ****. You did not buy a race car!!

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Re: Bye Transmission (BuddyWh)

It would be interesting to see some more information on this... but who's to say it was a shaft? It certainly wouldn't be the first time VW had rivet failure on the differential. After all, isn't the 170hp 2.5 supposed to have a "stronger" tranmission? Then again, rivet failure didn't happen on the 020's for a few years.
The biggest issue is that he said he even took a test drive with a tech so they could see it was "slipping"... nothing had been blown up before the car was left in the dealer's care.
I'd be interested in seeing some more specs on the cars that have had this happen... if there are any correlations between the cars that have done this.
edit: other post ^^ wasn't here. Much more informative.

Modified by ninety9gl at 12:45 PM 5-15-2007

·
Registered
9 Posts
Re: Bye Transmission (ninety9gl)

QUOTE=ninety9gl]It would be interesting to see some more information on this... but who's to say it was a shaft? It certainly wouldn't be the first time VW had rivet failure on the differential. After all, isn't the 170hp 2.5 supposed to have a "stronger" tranmission? Then again, rivet failure didn't happen on the 020's for a few years.
The biggest issue is that he said he even took a test drive with a tech so they could see it was "slipping"... nothing had been blown up before the car was left in the dealer's care.
I'd be interested in seeing some more specs on the cars that have had this happen... if there are any correlations between the cars that have done this.

Modified by ninety9gl at 12:45 PM 5-15-2007[/QUOTE]
what created the smoke you idiot?

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Re: Bye Transmission (ninety9gl)

Quote, originally posted by ninety9gl »

Read: I was agreeing with you.
Thanks for playing!

Modified by ninety9gl at 1:04 PM 5-15-2007

·
Registered
RS3, JKU
19,990 Posts
Re: (ROBKIDWELL)

Quote, originally posted by ROBKIDWELL »
dummywitharabbit1 HAS WON

Wow, that was some serious pwnage.
What kind of moron takes the car back to the dealer for warranty work with a race decal in the car?

·
Registered
RS3, JKU
19,990 Posts
Re: Bye Transmission (dummywitharabbit1)

Quote »
=dummywitharabbit1
This is the box in question, it is more then obvious it contained more than his intake.

I see a shifter, what appears to be a broken diff and possibly a CV shaft....
Nice.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Re: Bye Transmission (RedRabidRabbit)

Quote, originally posted by RedRabidRabbit »

I see a shifter, what appears to be a broken diff and possibly a CV shaft....
Nice.

That one piece is the drive flange that goes into the trans where the axle is bolted to, there is no way to get these trans out without taking that out of the trans.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.