VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have spoke with some people about what they think of CAI's.....I have gotten responses sometimes that it may cause the MAF to fail, any opinions/feedback is appreciated.....what you think.....if not damaging the MAF, can it be UN-beneficial in any way? I have switched a few times from my Neuspeed P-Flow to my AEM CAI.......I havnt seen any engine code/lights go off yet.......
Also, when you disconnct your battery on a GTi IV.......do you have to use a VAG tool to program the system so that it understands the battery was disconnected......I hear if you dont, lights may show, or gas mileage may become ****ty...... thanks people http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
680 Posts
Re: C.A.I------cause MAF sensor to damage/waste? (DubStyleVr6)

I've had my eurosport race CAI on for 15K mi. with no problems. I have been in some really heavy rain storms too. If I have to go through a deeper water puddle (around 3') I go real slow and let the car idle. If I think the water is too deep (3" + ) I go another way.
I've had the battery disconneted a couple times and about the biggest problem I had was reseting my clock.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Re: C.A.I------cause MAF sensor to damage/waste? (r6&vr6)

Quote, originally posted by r6&vr6 »
I've had my eurosport race CAI on for 15K mi. with no problems. I have been in some really heavy rain storms too. If I have to go through a deeper water puddle (around 3') I go real slow and let the car idle. If I think the water is too deep (3" + ) I go another way.
I've had the battery disconneted a couple times and about the biggest problem I had was reseting my clock.
There's a thread about the eurosport cai's rusting on the inside. This is what's causing the MAF damage.Small chunks of rust breaking the sensor. http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

·
Registered
377 Posts

I've had my turn2 intake on my VR for 2 years. The only thing that I've noticed is that I hit from 4000 rpms till red line an extra 13 horse to the wheels. In other words it wont affect anything. Just be sure not to drive through puddles and the rest is fine.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Re: C.A.I------cause MAF sensor to damage/waste? (MrVrSix)

Quote, originally posted by MrVrSix »
There's a thread about the eurosport cai's rusting on the inside. This is what's causing the MAF damage.Small chunks of rust breaking the sensor. http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

Thanks for the info but I haven't seen any problems yet. Maybe if I get motivated I'll take it off and shoot some paint down into it.

·
Registered
23,352 Posts
Re: C.A.I------cause MAF sensor to damage/waste? (pubahs)

Quote, originally posted by pubahs »
Why do the eurosport ones rust on the inside whereas the Turn2's dont?

Type of material used.
- Erik

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: C.A.I------cause MAF sensor to damage/waste? (bluefox280)

I am running a AEM CAI and I dont believe ther is any rusting

·
Registered
1,346 Posts

That rusting could have been a one time thing. As far as I know only one person suffered that problem...

·
Registered
46 Posts

Ive got a neuspeed(I believe) CAI on my vr6, and I am having issues which are believed by my mechanic to be mass airflow sensor issues. If this is the case, I will let you know.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: C.A.I------cause MAF sensor to damage/waste? (vr6jetta95-011)

Quote, originally posted by vr6jetta95-011 »
Ive got a neuspeed(I believe) CAI on my vr6, and I am having issues which are believed by my mechanic to be mass airflow sensor issues. If this is the case, I will let you know.

You sure that intake isnt the short ram P-Flow intake? I was not aware that they produced the C.A.I system

·
Registered
46 Posts

neither was I... bought the car with the intake on it. only markings I can find at all is a Neuspeed logo just behind the senser.
I really havent been able to find one that matches it yet on aftermarket pages... even checked neuspeed.com, but, I believe the intake is an older model.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Re: C.A.I------cause MAF sensor to damage/waste? (vr6jetta95-011)

will post a pic of it when I get access to a camera. (buddy doing engine swap on his truck).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts