VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I actually really like this car, but thought that quote was funny. Does someone from TCL work at C&D?!?!

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2016-cadillac-ats-v-sedan-test-review

And make sure that you spec the $300 microsuede-wrapped steering wheel or you’ll get a leather covering that might as well be vinyl. Beyond the steering wheel are gauges that are more appropriate for a Chevy Cruze; Lexus did better gauges 25 years ago. At least the large rectangular information display is a better balance of form and function.
Now it’s time for us to intervene. Cadillac, we can’t sit idly by and enable these design lapses. You have a problem and you must admit it. The designers need editing and it’s time to do something about it—it’s not fair to the engineers who made the ATS-V the best-driving car in its class.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Now this is even more funny:

..."Each instrument is perfectly tuned and balanced and feels just right. This car, engineered and built in Michigan, flat-out feels better, is easier to drive quickly, and is more fun than the BMW M3 and the Mercedes-AMG C63. German chassis engineering has met its match."

"it’s not fair to the engineers who made the ATS-V the best-driving car in its class."

A Cadillac that is cheaper and better than the AMG or the M....How bout them apples!

·
Registered
9,757 Posts
Hmm...12.1 quarter at 122mph with 469hp and weighs 3800lbs. Compares to a C7 convertible that does quarter in about 12 sec at 119mph, with 460hp at weighs 3500lbs.

Numbers slightly underrated?

Anyhow, I like it but still don't think it will sell that great. Standard models don't.

·
Registered
23,369 Posts
Ok GM must realize how ridiculous the 1997 Chevy lumina interior design elements are. Will they fix it!?

as an M3 guy this car actually impressed me more than the new M3. But really those guages are terrible, I'd hate looking at that. My E36 is better... 1994 design.

·
Premium Member
13,377 Posts
It might be slightly cheaper, but let's be honest... the BMW will lease better, and that's what the majority of this market will be looking at.
Pretty much this makes the M3 the more popular choice. I hope that Caddy can find a way to aggressive lease these. Inflate the residual, offer a great MF. Get this car on the road so that most of us see one a couple of times a week, and we get that new image of Caddy and associate it with awesome performance.

·
Registered
47,893 Posts
Now this is even more funny:

..."Each instrument is perfectly tuned and balanced and feels just right. This car, engineered and built in Michigan, flat-out feels better, is easier to drive quickly, and is more fun than the BMW M3 and the Mercedes-AMG C63. German chassis engineering has met its match."

"it’s not fair to the engineers who made the ATS-V the best-driving car in its class."

A Cadillac that is cheaper and better than the AMG or the M....How bout them apples!
:thumbup:

I'll take chassis dynamics over superficial design details 10 times out of 10.

·
Banned
26,117 Posts
There is usually something journalists like more than a BMW or Benz that is cheaper too that's still a sales flop. Something something ATS something something. M3 will still sell circles around this. You're talking about a point at which there's a serious diminishing returns on performance, people aren't going everysteer with these things. Most people aren't buying incremental chasis or a mph or two at this level. Talk about paper racers. Lots of people want the feeling of ownership too and it's simply not there with Caddy, not even close really. If Caddy put down the chasis pen and picked up the prestige one they'd sell more cars. BMW seems to grasp this quite well but not Caddy.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I like what I read, but the reality of it is that it will never get there in sales. Nowadays the majority of the buying public simply don't care. It's all about brand, and it might be too late. Mediocre efforts like the XTS and the new CT6 simply won't cut it anymore. They need something louder

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai Tucson Hybrid Blue, 2018 VW GTI
22,533 Posts
There is usually something journalists like more than a BMW or Benz that is cheaper too that's still a sales flop. Something something ATS something something. M3 will still sell circles around this. You're talking about a point at which there's a serious diminishing returns on performance, people aren't going everysteer with these things. Most people aren't buying incremental chasis or a mph or two at this level. Talk about paper racers. Lots of people want the feeling of ownership too and it's simply not there with Caddy, not even close really. If Caddy put down the chasis pen and picked up the prestige one they'd sell more cars. BMW seems to grasp this quite well but not Caddy.
Which poses the interesting question of: If the vast majority of customers don't actually care about absolute performance relative to the competition (which is likely true), why try so hard? Why not just design your high performance sedan in a vacuum and be done with it? I'm guessing that majority of people also won't care about what beats what in a magazine comparison test nor the bragging rights of winning said comparisons that will be used in the advertisements for the cars.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Which poses the interesting question of: If the vast majority of customers don't actually care about absolute performance relative to the competition (which is likely true), why try so hard? Why not just design your high performance sedan in a vacuum and be done with it? I'm guessing that majority of people also won't care about what beats what in a magazine comparison test nor the bragging rights of winning said comparisons that will be used in the advertisements for the cars.
It's true. The Cadillac brand is too far gone to have mass appeal though - no mater what they do, it doesn't work. They just have to go back to their old names, go a bit Liberace, have some high performance models and be done

·
Banned
26,117 Posts
Because it's still gotta be fast and its still gotta handle, but the difference at this level isn't felt when driven on the street because you've already surpassed what most people will do with it anyhow. Who cares if the lesser brand is a tick quicker when you're not maxing out the M3 as it is? Prestige is a factor.

·
Registered
988 Posts
The thing unlike Cadillac, BMW and Mercedes never had a bad model - since the beginning. People know that. That's why it's so hard to go back up. Look at Jaguar - they are doing the same thing, just with more flair and being British. It will be interesting to see what will happen with Alfa - pretty much starting from scratch without the baggage, at least in the US

1 - 20 of 100 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.