VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

81 - 100 of 130 Posts

Registered
Sooo...still can't substantiate why you think it's overpriced? Got it.
Lol. No I can't. At least not in terms you would understand. But the sales numbers vs others cars will be proof enough. I can guarantee most people will buy a cx-30 over this if they were looking at Mazda.

Registered
2017 Genesis G90 Ultimate, 2017 Miata RF GT
Lol. No I can't. At least not in terms you would understand. But the sales numbers vs others cars will be proof enough. I can guarantee most people will buy a cx-30 over this if they were looking at Mazda.
Try me. I've driven and owned a wide range of cars. I've had a W20 MR-2, an E46 M3, a couple of CBR600RRs, a Golf R, ND Miata, a Genesis G90, among other cars. There's a few BMWs (X5M and X7) and Porsches (Cayenne and 987.2) in my immediate family. My doctoral supervisor drove a 991 and I had quite a bit of seat time in his. I also drove the FK2 Type-R, RC-F and Supra at Mosport. I'm open to discussion.

Registered
Try me. I've driven and owned a wide range of cars. I've had a W20 MR-2, an E46 M3, a couple of CBR600RRs, a Golf R, ND Miata, a Genesis G90, among other cars. There's a few BMWs (X5M and X7) and Porsches (Cayenne and 987.2) in my immediate family. My doctoral supervisor drove a 991 and I had quite a bit of seat time in his. I also drove the FK2 Type-R, RC-F and Supra at Mosport. I'm open to discussion.
And I got a ride in a black Countach with white/peachy colored leather seats when I was 8. That does not make me an expert on supercars.

Nonetheless you missed the hint in my previous post-- a car like the CX-30 is a better value than it's sedan counterpart especially with the demand of CUV's these days. That makes the sedan version overpriced 馃槙

Registered
And I got a ride in a black Countach with white/peachy colored leather seats when I was 8. That does not make me an expert on supercars.

Nonetheless you missed the hint in my previous post-- a car like the CX-30 is a better value than it's sedan counterpart especially with the demand of CUV's these days. That makes the sedan version overpriced 馃槙
So...your position is that "you couldn't explain in terms I would understand" as to why the Mazda 3 2.5 T is overpriced, despite me having a breadth of experience with vehicles beyond the Mazda 3; you really have no explanation? Oh, and that it's overpriced because people prefer CUVs, never mind that is not the market the Mazda 3 is targeting or competing in, at all? Okay then, got it.

Registered
So...your position is that "you couldn't explain in terms I would understand" as to why the Mazda 3 2.5 T is overpriced, despite me having a breadth of experience with vehicles beyond the Mazda 3; you really have no explanation? Oh, and that it's overpriced because people prefer CUVs, never mind that is not the market the Mazda 3 is targeting or competing in, at all? Okay then, got it.
Here.. You have $35,000 to buy a vehicle You may share why the small Mazda 3 sedan would be your choice at 35k over everything else out there.

Registered
Here.. You have $35,000 to buy a vehicle You may share why the small Mazda 3 sedan would be your choice at 35k over everything else out there.
Yes, $35,000 USD is a crowded price point, but you didn't give me a list of preferences or needs. I could easily say the answer to that question is a base F-150. Regardless, you still haven't substantiated why you think it's overpriced (beyond badge or some nebulous comparisons to vehicles outside its segment). Recall, you asserted it's overpriced. The onus is not on me to prove the price is fair, despite the effort I expended to show it was very competitive for its price point.

PS> Still waiting for the terms I wouldn't understand.

Premium Member
Uhh overpriced and overated mean two completely diff things. If anything, the Mazda is underrated but overpriced vs the various other cars people can jump into at that price range.

It is a Mazda at the end of the day and it will always be that. Why don't we let the first quarter sales speak for themselves if it is such a great deal 馃樁
How is it over-priced when you compare apple to apple in terms of features which are optional on the premium brands? A comparable A3 is $10K more, which is not an insignificant difference.

Granted, for that $10K you get a better powertrain, and the brand, etc. But the point is that $10K is a lot, and thus puts that A3 out of reach for a buyer who's looking at spending under $35K tops (assuming MSRP figures, for a fair comparison).

Registered
Yes, $35,000 USD is a crowded price point, but you didn't give me a list of preferences or needs. I could easily say the answer to that question is a base F-150. Regardless, you still haven't substantiated why you think it's overpriced (beyond badge or some nebulous comparisons to vehicles outside its segment). Recall, you asserted it's overpriced. The onus is not on me to prove the price is fair, despite the effort I expended to show it was very competitive for its price point.

PS> Still waiting for the terms I wouldn't understand.
"Very competitive for it's price point..."

Against which car?

Registered
Pricing on the Mazda3 is fine. They should go after a higher price point.

It鈥檚 overrated because car media and internetters often speak like the overall package of the car is in a different hemisphere than other ~$30k compact sedans, hatchbacks, and wagons, and it simply is not. It鈥檚 a good car with strengths and weaknesses like all cars, and there are plenty of arguments to spend that money on something else.

Registered
How is it over-priced when you compare apple to apple in terms of features which are optional on the premium brands? A comparable A3 is $10K more, which is not an insignificant difference.

Granted, for that $10K you get a better powertrain, and the brand, etc. But the point is that $10K is a lot, and thus puts that A3 out of reach for a buyer who's looking at spending under $35K tops (assuming MSRP figures, for a fair comparison).
My disagreement with 'unhappymeal' and many alike-- I perceive the need for this small sedan in today's market. I am not matching it feature-for-power against other car manufacturers. Notice that there is not another small awd sedan from it's immediate competitors.

Because firstly, the sedan market is dying. Second, there are some great deals during this pandemic. There are a ton of great CUV's for the same price. Someone suggested a Rav 4 with 300hp and AWD at the same price range. No one will buy this small Mazda if that kind of deal exists.

3. There is no difference in interior from the base to premium. Yes you get many other amenities but most of that people do not need. The awd is a $1,400 option. The rest of $8,600 is not justified in my opinion or needed by most.

I like small sedans and it may be perfect for someone such as myself but I don't think Mazda will sell many. At $30k fully loaded it would be a bargain, especially because their own CUV the cx-30 is priced at $33k full tilt. It has the least cargo space and backseat space amongst it's competitors. These are the reason I find it overpriced for a small Mazda sedan.

One more time- I love it. I like that it has air/to water intercooler. I like the torque vectoring i-active AWD. I think the interior is incredible. But I do not think they will sell at 33k. They haven't been selling. The 3 series from Mazda has been down 46.6 percent since 2019 and giving the people a more expensive version is not the fix.

Registered
2020 Civic Type R, 2014.5 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2018 Chevrolet Silverado 5.3 (work)
I think reliability has to factor in to this equation. The Audi buyer is probably leasing and ditching the car. If you don鈥檛 swap vehicles often, I think the Mazda gets a leg up. The skyactive drivetrain is bulletproof. The interior on our 2014 CX-5 is aging remarkably well. I wouldn鈥檛 normally keep a car past 5 years, but I have zero desire to replace our 7 year old Mazda. It鈥檚 the most reliable vehicle I鈥檝e ever owned. Not a single fault.

Registered
Either the base Mazda3 is a steal at $20k or this one that is almost 70% more than the base priced one is a terrible deal, I can't really tell from the article which is which although I'm guessing the base model being a steal is the more likely scenario.

Also what is up with the skidpad results, will better tires fix that or is the suspension just that bad? Braking performance is pretty underwhelming as well with its tiny rotors and those tires.

Registered
My disagreement with 'unhappymeal' and many alike-- I perceive the need for this small sedan in today's market. I am not matching it feature-for-power against other car manufacturers. Notice that there is not another small awd sedan from it's immediate competitors.

Because firstly, the sedan market is dying. Second, there are some great deals during this pandemic. There are a ton of great CUV's for the same price. Someone suggested a Rav 4 with 300hp and AWD at the same price range. No one will buy this small Mazda if that kind of deal exists.

3. There is no difference in interior from the base to premium. Yes you get many other amenities but most of that people do not need. The awd is a $1,400 option. The rest of $8,600 is not justified in my opinion or needed by most.

I like small sedans and it may be perfect for someone such as myself but I don't think Mazda will sell many. At $30k fully loaded it would be a bargain, especially because their own CUV the cx-30 is priced at $33k full tilt. It has the least cargo space and backseat space amongst it's competitors. These are the reason I find it overpriced for a small Mazda sedan.

One more time- I love it. I like that it has air/to water intercooler. I like the torque vectoring i-active AWD. I think the interior is incredible. But I do not think they will sell at 33k. They haven't been selling. The 3 series from Mazda has been down 46.6 percent since 2019 and giving the people a more expensive version is not the fix.
Never mind the fact that you can get this as a hatch, we already pointed out the A3, which Mazda is targeting. Your assertion that there is no difference in interior from Base to Premium is absurd. To whit:

unhappymeal said:
-2.5 T (almost 2 seconds faster to 60 mph)
-AWD
-Android Auto/CarPlay
-Blind Sport Monitoring and Rear Traffic Alert
-360 degree camera
-Adaptive Headlights
-Power folding side mirrors with reverse tilt and memory
-Power moonroof
-Power heated seats with memory
-Upgraded audio system

-An exterior design package (similar to Audi Black Optics)
-Heated Steering wheel
-Leather seating, trim and steering wheel

-Navigation
-HUD
-Traffic sign recognition in the navigation and HUD
-Different suspension and transmission tuning
-Reinforced transmission, suspension and rear differential
There is nothing in your post to substantiate why you think it is overpriced other them some nebulous "sedans are dying and people will spend that money on CUVs". Um, duh, the entire market is going in that direction for every brand, it doesn't make this car overpriced. Anyways, it's clear that you will not discuss in good faith, so I'm done with you.

Registered
Either the base Mazda3 is a steal at $20k or this one that is almost 70% more than the base priced one is a terrible deal, I can't really tell from the article which is which although I'm guessing the base model being a steal is the more likely scenario.

Also what is up with the skidpad results, will better tires fix that or is the suspension just that bad? Braking performance is pretty underwhelming as well with its tiny rotors and those tires.
Pretty much what you're thinking. In the case of the 3 series, it started losing sales when they had a $4,500 increase in price vs the competition. We can appreciate the overhaul but the majority of the public did not. I hate that we are losing short wheelbase sedans to CUV's.

Iirc, Mazda sold roughly 26,000 cars last year and only 2,600 of them were the Mazda 3. The hatchback was the better seller out of the two.

Never mind the fact that you can get this as a hatch, we already pointed out the A3, which Mazda is targeting. Your assertion that there is no difference in interior from Base to Premium is absurd. To whit:

There is nothing in your post to substantiate why you think it is overpriced other them some nebulous "sedans are dying and people will spend that money on CUVs". Um, duh, the entire market is going in that direction for every brand, it doesn't make this car overpriced. Anyways, it's clear that you will not discuss in good faith, so I'm done with you.
It doesn't have to be like this. You could have the filet-o-fish if you only choose to see it on the menu.

Anyways. That was a proper 4 day binge on the forums but I am back to work today. I would like to think I made more internet friends than enemies. But if you consider yourself the latter, know that if we ever got into a fight with a group of hobos, I would have your back. To shield myself while you have your face mauled.

Registered
'16 Golf R (wife's)
Yes, as is the Palisades. My point was that the likes of H/K, Toyota, Honda are making premium interiors, where it's easier to do so with good material usage. The exterior of the Telluride looks great, and is quite step up, but its proportions aren't say RR like, or X7 like. And that's fine. Not saying they should be. I was commenting to the other poster that Mazda variants have in fact taken the plunge to give their cars premium proportions. Not saying that's good or bad, but it's something different than what the others are doing.
What are "premium proportions"?

Registered
2018 Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT / 1994 Miata
Skip the turbo and the fully spec鈥檇 Mazda 3 is cheaper than all of the Japanese competition except the Sentra.

Mazda 3 Premium FWD: $27,795
Honda Civic Touring: $29,295
Toyota Corolla XSE: $28.985

It also has the following features unavailable on the Civic and Corolla: Heads up display, memory seats and a 12 speaker stereo.

Option in AWD which is unavailable in the Civic and Corolla and the Mazda 3 is almost exactly the same price, slightly cheaper than the FWD Civic and slightly more than the FWD Corolla.

Base Mazda 3 Turbo Sedan MSRP is $30,845. It is not overpriced. For $1800 more than a Civic Touring you get almost 100 more hp, double the torque, AWD, a normal 6 speed automatic, better interior materials, more features, etc. This is before you even compare it to cars like the A3, A class, 228i which are FAR more expensive.

81 - 100 of 130 Posts