VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Banned
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Here it is. Starting this build thread. Like i was saying, it will be a short build. I don't have a ton of pictures like I would have gotten but this IS what i DO have. I will be posting new photos every other day or so...

We were contacted by a customer from out of state not too long ago who wanted to Turbocharge their car through us. The customer ended up shipping the car from Maine to C2Motorsports in Louisville, KY. The entire build was done on location. We do offer shipping deals for cars worked on location here in Louisville. ;)

MK V R32 Turbo

Here is a list of the parts that went into it:

This is a C2Motorsports manufactured turbo kit.

Turbo Hardware
R32 Cast Turbo Manifold
SS Downpipe
3” Hi-Flow cat w/SS midpipe
Precision BB Turbo

Installation Hardware
WG hardware kit
(4) 3/8 x 24 studs
(4) 3/8 lock nuts
(14) copper nuts

FMIC
8 x 22 x 3.5 FMIC
2” IC tubing: 45° w/long leg
2” IC tubing: 45° w/short leg
2.5” IC tubing: 90° “L” bend
2.5” IC tubing: 90° “S” bend
2.5” IC intake to TB
Intake w/4” MAF

Silicone
2” 90° elbow (use for 2” x 2” coupler)
2” x 2.5” reducer
2.5” coupler
3” 45° elbow
2.5” 90° elbow (use for 2.5” x 2” coupler)
3” x 3.25” reducer
1.5” 90° elbow

Gaskets
(2) Exhaust manifold
T4 turbo gasket
38mm waste gate gasket

Clamps
1 - 3” V-Band
5 - 2” SS hose clamp
7 - 2.5” SS hose clamp
3 - 3” SS hose clamp
1 - 3.25” SS hose clamp
4 - 1.5” SS hose clamp
1 - 3” SS band clamp
1 - 2.5” SS band clamp

Hoses
7mm x 3’ vac line
5mm x 3’ vac line
3’ – 5/8” hose
1’ – 3/4” hose

Lines/Fittings
Oil return: AN10 x 18”
Oil feed: AN4 x 48”
Oil return fitting w/gasket
AN10 Weld fitting (oil pan)
AN4 male/female 90° swivel (oil feed at turbo)
#10 x 1.5 nut (FMIC out pipe to bumper stud)
M10 x AN4 male (oil feed at filter housing)
1/8” NPT x AN4 male (oil feed at turbo)

Lines/Fittings Hardware
38mm waste gate
38mm waste gate elbow
Forge diverter valve
6 - Bosch Fuel Injectors
6 - Injector harness
R32 SS Head Spacer
R32 Head Studs
4” air filter
PCV manifold plug
2’ - Fireflex (black)
2’ – Silverflex Heat

·
Registered
10,109 Posts
Very cool. Is it alright if I ask how much this is all coming out to?

·
Banned
77 Posts
This looks pretty interesting. I've been considering going forced induction on my MKV R since the DSG seems to shift fast enough to not drop boost when shifting.

How does this kit compare price wise to the CTS kit and the HPA kits? How does it compare quality wise? Quality is my main concern more so than pricing... I don't want to have a car that is no longer drivable after everything is all said and done. :beer:

·
Premium Member
04 R32, 19 Golf R
88,365 Posts
In for progress.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
This looks pretty interesting. I've been considering going forced induction on my MKV R since the DSG seems to shift fast enough to not drop boost when shifting.

How does this kit compare price wise to the CTS kit and the HPA kits? How does it compare quality wise? Quality is my main concern more so than pricing... I don't want to have a car that is no longer drivable after everything is all said and done. :beer:
PM me a way to get a hold if you and I can tell you everything you want to know about boosting these cars.

Pricing goes about like this; CTS < C2 < HPA

I am wondering what they are doing for software. Jeff took the software with him when he left. Maybe they figured out how to pull Jeffs software off of another MK5 R32 Turbo car to reuse.

·
Banned
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

PMed

·
Banned
4,278 Posts
PM me a way to get a hold if you and I can tell you everything you want to know about boosting these cars.

I am wondering what they are doing for software. Jeff took the software with him when he left. Maybe they figured out how to pull Jeffs software off of another MK5 R32 Turbo car to reuse.
Hey Will, nice to see you...hope all is well on your side of the world.

In regards to your question about software, we develop and write all C2Motorsports performance software utilizing our in house software engineer Ryan. If there is anything he or anyone here at C2 can do to help you, feel free to give us a call.

Chris
c2

·
Banned
77 Posts
In for progress.
Looks like you're just upping that ridiculous post count vs actually helping ... thanks for replying to my PM. :rolleyes: :thumbdown:

Thanks for the info. I've done a bit of digging around. Kind of ... scary, actually. CTS has been ruled out. Now it's down to HPA and C2. And since HPA won't get back to me ... I might have to 'bite the bullet' with C2 ... even though some of the stuff looks a little shady. Maybe Chris can shed some light on things for me. I'll send him a PM.

Got it, and replied! :beer::beer:

Hey Will, nice to see you...hope all is well on your side of the world.

In regards to your question about software, we develop and write all C2Motorsports performance software utilizing our in house software engineer Ryan. If there is anything he or anyone here at C2 can do to help you, feel free to give us a call.

Chris
c2
Hey Chris, PM incoming! Would like a bit more info on everything before I start breaking out the Benjamins.

·
Registered
25,084 Posts
question : if you have a golf R on order, why turbo this turd?

pick up the phone and call that other company if you are interested, emails dont work in canada it seems. :laugh:

·
Banned
4,278 Posts
Any of these turbo kits, including this one, CARB exempt?
Need this in California to be legal.
Although all of our hardware/software has been designed and built for OEM integration, as in (we do not piggyback, cut, or omit any of the OEM functions), we have not undergone the CARB specific testing for certification. Even though .:R32 would "pass the test" and operate within emissions compliance, we have not undergone the specific submission of a car for testing to achieve the CARB-specific accreditation.

This honestly comes down to dollars and cents, if we amortize the additional cost of CARB certification additional cost of the CARB certification over a small number of sales, it would increase the kit price out-of-the-range of most people's "play car budget". If we can amortize the additional cost of the certification over a LARGER number, then the increase per unit would be less impacting.

Hope that help.

Chris
C2

·
Banned
77 Posts
question : if you have a golf R on order, why turbo this turd?

pick up the phone and call that other company if you are interested, emails dont work in canada it seems. :laugh:
2.0L + K04 = meh sound but fun DD.

3.2L VR6 + T67 = WIN sound and fun toy.

I have called Canadia eh, but seems they're too far out in the woods to get voice service too. :sly:

Chris, PM replied. :thumbup::thumbup:

·
Banned
77 Posts
This honestly comes down to dollars and cents, if we amortize the additional cost of CARB certification additional cost of the CARB certification over a small number of sales, it would increase the kit price out-of-the-range of most people's "play car budget". If we can amortize the additional cost of the certification over a LARGER number, then the increase per unit would be less impacting.

Hope that help.

Chris
C2
This sounds like a perfect reason to offer a C2 Turbo kit group buy. :D:thumbup:

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
2.0L + K04 = meh sound but fun DD.

3.2L VR6 + T67 = WIN sound and fun toy.

I have called Canadia eh, but seems they're too far out in the woods to get voice service too. :sly:

Chris, PM replied. :thumbup::thumbup:
Do you know when you're Golf R is supposed to come in? Any plans to modify that?

Try giving HPA another call. I've had pretty good luck in talking to them over the phone, should be even easier for you since you're in their time zone, it would appear.

Looks like you decided to pass on the CTS kit ... What about giving Jeff a call himself? Looks like his site is now working, he should be able to give you an idea of what it would cost to have him build you a custom kit. Though, I would imagine it is going to be a bit more expensive than the ~7000-8000 you're looking at before install for the C2 kit. Just a thought. :thumbup: :wave:

·
Banned
77 Posts
Maybe you should spend some more time writing software and designing kits than making terrible photoshops. :banghead: :screwy:

Or at least make a useful photoshop -- Ryan 'writing' engine code. :thumbup:
:laugh::laugh: You noticed the sliver of missing blur over the windshield too?

Not a fan of C2 I take it? PM incoming, have a couple questions. :beer:

Do you know when you're Golf R is supposed to come in? Any plans to modify that?

Try giving HPA another call. I've had pretty good luck in talking to them over the phone, should be even easier for you since you're in their time zone, it would appear.

Looks like you decided to pass on the CTS kit ... What about giving Jeff a call himself? Looks like his site is now working, he should be able to give you an idea of what it would cost to have him build you a custom kit. Though, I would imagine it is going to be a bit more expensive than the ~7000-8000 you're looking at before install for the C2 kit. Just a thought. :thumbup: :wave:
Just plan on flashing the Golf R when there is a chip available for it. Not sure when that will be though. Dealer told me around middle of Jan is when they'll start coming in. Hopefully it will be sooner and not later.

I'll give them another ring and maybe see if I can get one of them through PM.

Jeff looks to be on the wrong side of the country for me. I could probably ship the R over there once I get my Golf R in though. I'll have to give him a ring too.

Not looking to get into all the drama, just want a good and reliable kit for my R. :heart:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts