VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

· Registered
24,124 Posts
Re: C6 Corvette uses leaf spring !!!??? (livingVoice)

It does.

· Registered
24,124 Posts
Re: (fknlo)

Quote, originally posted by fknlo »
i was expecting some truck looking leaf springs. that doesn't look as ******* as i thought it would

*shrug*
"*******" or not, they do the job very well.

· Registered
3,856 Posts
Re: (ToucheTurtle)

Quote, originally posted by ToucheTurtle »
transverse mounted leaf spring/10 doesnt the new ferrari 599GTB have some kind of similar setup?

yep.
"The embattled, and bankrupt, GM parts supplier Delphi has been tapped by Ferrari to supply the new 599 GTB Fiorano with its MagneRide suspension that’s also used on the Chevrolet Corvette, Cadillac STS and other premium GM products. The MagneRide suspension uses shock absorbers filled with a fluid capable of changing damping characteristics on the fly.
Delphi has been supplying Ferrari with climate control systems since 1992 and will also supply the Fiorano’s electrical system."

· Banned
2,915 Posts
Re: (PassSedanGLX)

Quote, originally posted by PassSedanGLX »
Didn't older models have the traditional longitudinal leaf springs in the rear? I seem to recall my buddy's C4 having them.

No. They've used the transverse spring for at least 30 years. There's no way that I know of to make a fully independant rear suspension using leaf springs like you see on a truck, and that's been one of the features of the Corvette since very early on.
A little useless information...the early Opel GTs used this same setup.

· Registered
4,439 Posts
Re: (PassSedanGLX)

Quote, originally posted by PassSedanGLX »
Didn't older models have the traditional longitudinal leaf springs in the rear? I seem to recall my buddy's C4 having them.

Depends on what you mean by older models. I can assure you that C4's do not have a leaf sprung live axle rear. The last time a corvette had one of those was 1962. Since 1963, it has had an IRS with a transverse leaf spring.
DOH, beaten by one minute....

· Registered
3,483 Posts
Re: (munkey)

If the corvette has had this set up since 1962 and can put a Z06's power dwon, why does the new Mustang not have IRS?

· Registered
11,614 Posts
Re: (anarchyx34)

Quote, originally posted by anarchyx34 »
Every few months we get a post here like "ZOMG!!!THE CORVETTE USES LEAF SPRINGS!!LOL @ GM!!!!1111ONE111..."

that's because people see the topgear episode where clarkson tests it out and in his typical sensational journalistic fashion, rags on anything he possibly can about the american auto...the fanboys then pick it up and run with it...straight here.

· Registered
2021 Tesla Model 3 SR+, 2017 Subaru Outback Limited
25,255 Posts
Re: (Bonfire)

Quote, originally posted by Bonfire »
yep.
"The embattled, and bankrupt, GM parts supplier Delphi has been tapped by Ferrari to supply the new 599 GTB Fiorano with its MagneRide suspension that’s also used on the Chevrolet Corvette, Cadillac STS and other premium GM products. The MagneRide suspension uses shock absorbers filled with a fluid capable of changing damping characteristics on the fly.
Delphi has been supplying Ferrari with climate control systems since 1992 and will also supply the Fiorano’s electrical system."

I don't see anything there about leaf springs, just MagneRide.

· Banned
2,915 Posts
Re: (Mazda 3s)

Quote, originally posted by Mazda 3s »

I don't see anything there about leaf springs, just MagneRide.

Same here. I was under the impression that the Ferrari is using that system with coilovers. I could be wrong though.

· Registered
11,025 Posts
Re: (jeremyc74)

Quote, originally posted by Uk in NY »
If the corvette has had this set up since 1962 and can put a Z06's power dwon, why does the new Mustang not have IRS?

Quote, originally posted by jeremyc74 »

Maybe bacause of the $25k price gap

That didn't stop them with the previous gen Cobra.

I think UK was referring to the Mustang claim that the IRS wasn't able to put power down properly as being the reason for the return to live axle.
Since the Corvette can do it, the Mustang should be able to as well...

Modified by Michael Blue at 10:07 AM 11-25-2006

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.