VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went to get my car its 20k service yesterday and was shocked to find out it cost like $300. I had them change the oil and look some things over but decided to do the rest myself. I have only had the car 3 months (I bought it used) and had no idea where to begin to change the pollen filter. There were some explanations on this forum but no actual DIY with any pictures. As it turns out it is really easy but some pictures might make people more comfortable to do it themselves.
I was really surprised how nasty this filter was after only 20K miles. There were big junks of debris and the filter was filthy. Glad I am not breathing all that crap in. Ok....lets start.
First look under the passenger side glove compartment and you will see a foam insert held on by two twist screws. You do not need a screwdriver to remove them. You can see them in the picture below.

Once you remove the twist screws by hand carefully remove the foam piece from the plastic molding. It is tucked in by the front and the sides. Be gentle because while it is durable it can easily bend and crease.

Once you get the foam out it should look like this.

At the back is a long rectangular black plastic piece. Pull it directly to the right which will unlock the tabs and allow you to remove it. It was right here where I realized that I might have to do this more often. It was really dirty.

Next pull the filter straight down. I had to work mine left and right a little bit but it came out pretty easy. As you can see it is REALLY dirty. I made quite a mess on the floor of my car too so you might want to put down something to catch all the junk as you are removing he filter.

Next put the nice new filter back into the slot. The side with the slant goes on the right. You might have to work it in there a little bit.

Put everything back together again by snapping the plastic rectangular piece back in under the filter. Put the foam piece back and make sure that it is aligned correctly. Then screw the hand screws back in place. Do not tighten them too much. They will continue to screw down as tight as you want but you could damage the foam piece. They are just there to hold it in place so make them tight but don't tighten them down so much that they break into the foam.

Now that you are done you must reward yourself.

This was my first DIY and it was certainly an easy one. Hopefully it will be helpful to people new to car maintenance. There is no reason to pay the dealer to do this since it took me about 10 minutes. Good luck.

Modified by aeproberts21 at 11:32 AM 6-23-2007

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: (AbtSportsline)

This picture above is a little over a year old and has exactly 20k miles on it. The filter was nasty. I will probably be changing it a little more often in the future.

·
Registered
12,745 Posts
Re: (VTECeateR)

Quote, originally posted by VTECeateR »
i believe the correct answer is every 20k

This is the factory recommended interval. Of course it can be changed out earlier, and is probably a good idea to do so. Much of it depends on where you live and how much you run the blower.

1 - 20 of 140 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.