VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if somewhere out there, there is a adapter u can buy that converts cable driven speedmoters to digital. Right now i have MK4 gauges in my rabbit and i got allmost everything working except for speedometer
. Maybe someone can help me out and show me where they at. Just a simple cable to digital speedomter adapter. Thanks a bunch.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Re: Cable to digital speedometer adapter (N204life)

If I am understanding you correctly, you just need the electric VSS sender from the car the guages came from, should be plug and play.
....Marc.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only way right now for me to tell speed on my rabbit is from a cable and i need to convert that to a MK4 gauges cluster

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
Re: (N204life)

You could use a speed sensor from a MK3, that will drop in you O2O assuming thats what you have. Whether or not its compatible with the MK4 speedo is the question.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Re: (BUNNYLOVE)

If you're still running your old A1 trans, an A3 Speed sensor will not work. BUT, an A3 speed sensor can be cut down and drilled to fit the lower half of an EGR type speedo cable. I found out by experimenting, the threads on the end of the cable and the threads on the speed sensor are the same. I am currently using this setup to run Passat gauges in my 83 Rabbit.

Modified by 83 Rabbit Tdi at 9:06 AM 5-21-2004

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
Re: (83 Rabbit Tdi)

An A3 speed sensor from an O2O equipped car (2.0L) will work. I've put one in a A1 O2O and I've put a regular cable in a A3 O2O. The transmissions are basically the same. If its a VR or TDI it would be a O2A which would be different.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts

The A3/Mk3s used two different transmissions.
The 2.0 and the 1.9TD used the 020 trannies.
The TDI and the VR6 used 02A trannies.
The VSS from the 020 trannies is plug and play for your stock
rabbit tranny.
See here
Your tire size and R&P are quite different from the A4/Mk4, so your speedo will be off by a fair bit.
Pick up an SGI-5 speedo/tach interface from Dakota Digital. It's designed to manipulate a speedometer signal to scale up or scale down. It's fairly inexpensive.

I've been using an A3/Mk3 VSS in an 020 tranny, thru an SGI5, feeding an A4/mk4 speedometer for over a year.
If I didn't have the SGI5, my speedo would be off by 50%.

-Dave

·
Registered
75 Posts
Re: (BUNNYLOVE)

I took a speed sensor out of a 93 Jetta 2.0, which was mounted in a completely different spot on the trans and would not mount in my A1 tranny. Does anyone have an application or picture of the speed sensor that "drops in" the early trans??

·
Registered
1,018 Posts

Use the 020 manual tranny sensor (#5),
not the auto-tranny sensor (#7),
nor the 02A sensor (#9-10)
-Dave

Modified by MrDave at 4:10 PM 5-21-2004

Modified by MrDave at 4:12 PM 5-21-2004

·
Registered
6,740 Posts

Quote, originally posted by N204life »
I was wondering if somewhere out there, there is a adapter u can buy that converts cable driven speedmoters to digital. Right now i have MK4 gauges in my rabbit and i got allmost everything working except for speedometer
. Maybe someone can help me out and show me where they at. Just a simple cable to digital speedomter adapter. Thanks a bunch.

I did this already, just get the speedometer sensor for a ~95 jetta 3 with the 2L. That sensor fits all 020 tranny's. I would imagine it would give the proper signal for the MKIV gauges, I used it as a signal for my autometer speedometer though. Good luck!
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
6,740 Posts

Quote, originally posted by 83 Rabbit Tdi »
If you're still running your old A1 trans, an A3 Speed sensor will not work. BUT, an A3 speed sensor can be cut down and drilled to fit the lower half of an EGR type speedo cable. I found out by experimenting, the threads on the end of the cable and the threads on the speed sensor are the same. I am currently using this setup to run Passat gauges in my 83 Rabbit.

Modified by 83 Rabbit Tdi at 9:06 AM 5-21-2004

That sucks that your A3 sensor did not fit the early trans, mine bolted right in! works fine. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Banned
10,156 Posts

Quote, originally posted by 83 Rabbit Tdi »
cool, I wonder why all the ones I found looked like #10??

#10 is for a 02a VR. You have been looking at the wrong trannies

1 - 13 of 13 Posts