VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The starter failed today on our 2001 Cabrio, there is absolutely no readily available ( 5 to 7 days away ) starters, question is now has anyone used another VW starter on their 2.0 litre gas Cabrio? Lots of Jetta/Golf starters around but they dont have the nose shaft. Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Had the same issue the only thing I can say is pay them the extra 60 dollars for 2 day shipping. Also when putting it in. the connector on the starter was different. had a female connector instead of a Male so I had to make my harness a spade and connect, when putting the starter in you're gonna have to Jack up the engine a bit to get the holes to line up, but it will come out without having to do that,

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
I'm assuming you have a manual 020 engine.

Check out the Mk4 diesel starter. I've installed on in my 81 Pickup and have used the same starter on a WBX6 Oettinger engine. The starter has almost 2HP to crank over you engine, way more than you'll ever need. Much smaller too. No concern about the transmission bushings too. I've very surprised this is not a very well know upgrade.

09A 911 023BX OEM/SR 0407X Bosch rebuilt.

When it comes to cores, they do not care what is in the box, as long as it's a starter.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would be curious now, especially given the increased torque of the diesel starters, but none of those starters have the nose piece. Is there a reason that nose piece is om my Cabrio starter and not on the others?

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
It's just a different design. The older versions were designed with a support and the new ones were designed without the support.

The reason for the change could be many. Less holes drilled into the transmission case, less bushing to install, etc. Either way, if I'm right and it does fit/work, it's worth the change.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Looks like I may have to do some exploring, got my hands on a "new rebuilt" starter from Carquest, got it all installed after the second start it will not stay engaged. It starts to turn the engine over, maybe 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn and then disengages. While the starter was off I spun the motor by hand just to check the flywheel, never noticed any wear or damage...

Also now very worth noting, when my "bad" starter was pulled from the Cabrio, that starter did not have a nose shaft. The starter that came from Carquest has a nose shaft. I have been told by a few local car guys that my car my have been what they refereed to as a change over year car and in fact the no nose shaft starter may be the correct starter for that car. Has anyone heard of or could verify this?

·
Registered
21,952 Posts
Did you have the new starter tested prior to leaving the store? As if you didn't it may not be a working starter... and then there is the rebuilder if it is a CARDone....well the name says it all.

Change overs happen, and I would go back with the same as came out of it.

Manual or Automatic Transmission?

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
Typically the wrong starter will not bolt up or space out properly. So if it does bolt up, it will probably work. That's not a fact, just an opinion.

To this day, I will never understand the attraction of the parts stores like Carquest. There are people that brag that they shop at places like that and have plenty of tips how to fix cheap new parts. Why not buy a more expensive good part that does not need any modification?

Their lifetime warranty just tells me that you will be replacing that part often. So what if the part has a lifetime warranty? I would prefer to buy a higher priced good part that will not break down vs a low quality lifetime warranty part.

A starter is a very simple electrical item. It has two wires. One large one is from the battery that operates the starter. The smaller one, circuit 50, is operated by the ignition switch. When the key is turned to the start position, power is applied to circuit 50. That circuit may go thru several other safety switches [clutch pedal, starter lockout switch, relay, alarm, etc] before it gets to the starter. The starter needs to have a ground to work. That ground is provided by the mounting bolts. Make certain the ground wires are functioning properly. A voltage drop test is very easy to do. Test that circuit when the starter is engaged.

If the starter is turning off. Check to see if circuit 50 is turning off or the circuit 50 is on, but the starter is not working.

Buy a good Bosch starter. Although they are not as good as they once were, they are still better than most rebuilders out there. Their new starters/alternators usually have a lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Did you have the new starter tested prior to leaving the store? As if you didn't it may not be a working starter... and then there is the rebuilder if it is a CARDone....well the name says it all.

Change overs happen, and I would go back with the same as came out of it.

Manual or Automatic Transmission?
Car is an automatic, I doubt they tested it, I had it picked up for me as I wasn't able to get there.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Typically the wrong starter will not bolt up or space out properly. So if it does bolt up, it will probably work. That's not a fact, just an opinion.

To this day, I will never understand the attraction of the parts stores like Carquest. There are people that brag that they shop at places like that and have plenty of tips how to fix cheap new parts. Why not buy a more expensive good part that does not need any modification?

Their lifetime warranty just tells me that you will be replacing that part often. So what if the part has a lifetime warranty? I would prefer to buy a higher priced good part that will not break down vs a low quality lifetime warranty part.

A starter is a very simple electrical item. It has two wires. One large one is from the battery that operates the starter. The smaller one, circuit 50, is operated by the ignition switch. When the key is turned to the start position, power is applied to circuit 50. That circuit may go thru several other safety switches [clutch pedal, starter lockout switch, relay, alarm, etc] before it gets to the starter. The starter needs to have a ground to work. That ground is provided by the mounting bolts. Make certain the ground wires are functioning properly. A voltage drop test is very easy to do. Test that circuit when the starter is engaged.

If the starter is turning off. Check to see if circuit 50 is turning off or the circuit 50 is on, but the starter is not working.

Buy a good Bosch starter. Although they are not as good as they once were, they are still better than most rebuilders out there. Their new starters/alternators usually have a lifetime warranty.
It has a Carquest as it was readily available, no other reason than that. Seems next to impossible to find Cabrio parts in my neck of the woods.

·
Registered
21,952 Posts
It has a Carquest as it was readily available, no other reason than that. Seems next to impossible to find Cabrio parts in my neck of the woods.
opening up your profile and placing the general area of the world you live in helps us.
Placing the Model and Year of your Vehicle Helps you get the proper help.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.