VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 87' Cabriolet with a little bit of money into it. Under the hood I got an ABD Big Bore Intake with a K&N drop in, TT full race cam with valve springs, duel outlet exhaust with 2.25 pipe all the way back. ITS NOT QUITE SNAPPY ENOUGH. Should I try some more with the 8v, or should I dump it for a new motor?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Re: Cabriolet 8v tuning??? (SCCA_cabriolet_ESR)

Snappy? that race cam isnt going to let it "snap" off the line it comes on strong at higher RPMs

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Cabriolet 8v tuning??? (A1 Cabriolet)

It snaps out of the hole just fine, at least harder than that stock cam.

Modified by SCCA_cabriolet_ESR at 7:07 AM 5-8-2003

·
Registered
333 Posts

DUDE?
Quote, originally posted by A1 Cabriolet »
Snappy? that race cam isnt going to let it "snap" off the line it comes on strong at higher RPMs

Snappy doesn't mean 9's. ****ing header and exhaust will make an 8v snappy.

That cam opens up at high RPM YES! but it will open up a **** load more than a stock one at low end

Modified by JettaStevo at 12:01 AM 5-8-2003

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Cabriolet 8v tuning??? (JettaStevo)

The intake and exhaust helps the motor breath. They both help me jump RPMs till the cam kicks. Its plenty snappy, it just need some more.

Modified by SCCA_cabriolet_ESR at 7:06 AM 5-8-2003

·
Registered
3,927 Posts

Does your car still have the warm air deflector (for cold starts) on the front of the air box? If so, you can replace that with an open tube for more air flow. You can also change your air box to the Scirocco 16v piece. The opening to the box is significantly larger than on the 8v air box.
You can switch to a larger throttle body. (VW A2 chassis, Audi 4000, Audi 5000, Neuspeed) At the same time, you can switch to an intake manifold from an Audi 4000 or a VW Fox.
You can switch out the dual outlet exhaust for a header.
You can swap in a 2.0L short block under your existing cylinder head.
Or you can swap to a 16v or a 1.8T or a VR6. It all depends on the level of your ambition and the size of your wallet. Good luck!

·
Registered
224 Posts

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
OK I made the comment about the cam in the previous post because TT makes about three "race" cams for the JH (solid lifter motor for the 16year olds) they each have different ramp profiles, lifts and durations so when you said full race I assummed you had the 306 degree one since your using HD valve springs
many larger cams can play havoc with the CIS as vaccum fluctuates so much at idle I thought off the line pep is what you are after and that was your delema. So maybe I should have asked what you meant by peppy?
Kevin Rowley had some very good points you might want to try as he's got some good advice I'll fill you in on what I've done to my current motor as the set up your running is almost the same , as much as you described, the K&N, big bore intake, the dual outlet manifold mated to the 2.25" pipe, the cam is different .
so you can wiegh options if you want so you can see if it will work for you to gain that pep your after...
I did the lrger throttle body upgrade and extrude honed a MK2 intake, ceramic coated it (and the outlet & down pipe), port matched, added the audi 5000 warm up regulator, fabricated "big bore' running to the air box that takes in a more direct flow of cool air instead of behind the bumper location, CC'd the head as well as P&P...there more but KR menioned some of 'em but I dont know what you meat by pep oh...You may want to try a vaneired cam sprocket to adjust the power band to the RPM range you drive at anyway that all for now
Except to that kid stevo dont make stupid comments
you sound like arse.
There is very little left stock in my car as I've been tweaking vw 's for many years with 14 vws over the years I dont think at sixteen you've yet to do your first complete engine build so gain so knowledge first ...what the firing order of your engine? degrees advance? did you have to look it up? DOO

Modified by A1 Cabriolet at 12:42 AM 5-9-2003

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Thanks for all the help A1, and KR. I didn't know I could do alot of that stuff. I'll try some of that and see how it works. If you have anymore suggestions on pepin' up an 8v please do share.

Modified by SCCA_cabriolet_ESR at 10:44 PM 5-10-2003

·
Registered
73 Posts

put a 16 valve head on the block.
as long as it's a 1.8 litre 16 valve, it'll fit right on there.
then do some work to the head

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Re: Cabriolet 8v tuning??? (k1dd)

Quote, originally posted by k1dd »
put a 16 valve head on the block.
as long as it's a 1.8 litre 16 valve, it'll fit right on there.
then do some work to the head

It's not quite that easy...

·
Registered
602 Posts

All I can think of that you haven't done yet is Port&polish and shave the cylinder head, trade up to an Audi 5000 throttlebody (or one from a mk2) with a dual-downpipe (or tri-y header)
The throttlebody and exhaust manifold pretty much have to be done at the same time to get any noticable increase.
If thats not enough "pep" try bolting on a G-60 supercharger with a Stage-3 kit from Autotech.com and see how ya likes 250hp under your foot.

Modified by Spinyfrog at 2:53 AM 5-12-2003

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: Cabriolet 8v tuning??? (SCCA_16VGTI_ESR)

Quote, originally posted by SCCA_16VGTI_ESR »
is your cabie bad or what what color is it

beat ur 16v S**T zak

1 - 13 of 13 Posts