VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Structurally are all Cabriolets the same?
Do A2 parts bolt on?
Are Cabriolets capable of using H4s like A2s?
Will you post some Cabby pics?
Thanks

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Re: Cabriolet questions (VAGaddict)

Let's see...
Question one . No the new ones have a different chasiss and wheel base to start with
Question two. First no such thing as an A2 cabby, MOst A2 parts I have found will not fit with the exception of some engines .
Questions three. With mods I think so.
Question four. Do a search therer are LOTS of cabby pics out here....
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
201 Posts

For the H-4 headlights, they sell H-4 conversion lights. I have a set of Hella 7" lights on my car. They pretty much plug into the existing factory wiring & the light output is 150% better than sealed beams. Shop around, you can get a good deal.
-Todd

·
Registered
226 Posts

Rabbit Conv./Cabriolets are A1, Cabrios are A3. Most A2 parts don't fit Cabriolets, although obviously the second half of the Cabriolet era was the same as the A2 era. As a result, the powertrains are similar in general. Seats and wheels are interchangeable between A1s and A2s.

·
Registered
3,978 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Structurally are all Cabriolets the same?[HR][/HR]​
1980-1993: yes.
quote:[HR][/HR]Do A2 parts bolt on?[HR][/HR]​
Some do, some don't. Engines, transmissions, front seats, steering wheels, and road wheels are some examples of A2 items that can be used on Cabriolets. What specifically are you thinking about?
quote:[HR][/HR]Are Cabriolets capable of using H4s like A2s?[HR][/HR]​
It's actually easier than fitting them to an A2. Bosch, Cibie, Hella and others all make 7" conversion kits that plug right in. If your car is old, you may want to consider upgrading the headlight wiring.
quote:[HR][/HR]Will you post some Cabby pics?[HR][/HR]​
See here: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=233727

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Cabriolet questions (Kevin Rowley)

Kevin, I am thinking about building a bad ass Cabby. But Much to my dismay Volkswagen didn't build an A2 cabby. I love the dual rounds and big bumpers on A2 cars. However, I have seen both on A1 Cabbys. But I want retnia burning light in an OEM looking package. Dual Rounds! I want lights so powerful that 911s would be happy to share the roads with me. The fight in my head is what to build this winter and spring. A Cabby or a crorch rocket. Both have many positives. But I can drift a Cabby. I once read in European Car a story about a guy that made an A4 Cabby an all-wheel drive turbo VR6. I am not looking for that much. Just an Ascot Gray Cabriolet with A2 Bumpers, a 2.0l 16V a 6 speed 16V tranny and a great suspension. Yes the list does go on for quite a while. So I need a clean shell on which to pour money into. How much does a stock A1 Cabby weigh? I asked about swapability from an A2 becasue I wanna use G-60 brakes all around. Whats involved? Team Dynamics Monza powdercoated in gloss black will be the wheels of choice. 15 or 16? Remember I am going to be DRIVING this car not just cruising. I live in Reading ( pronounced "reding") PA. The streets are paved in discarded pots and pans and what ever else was mixed in. But the back roads..... Well they are pretty cool. Lots of high rev corners. Anyhow.....talk to me.

·
Registered
5,801 Posts

Hey bump for a local dude!
I am in Allentown & have always wondered how to pronounce redding....
Just kidding.
I have an 84 cabby. The lights are H4 & got the Hella inner fogs on it too. see the pic in my sig. My wheels are 15 & you can go 16 but no more for a DRIVER. I had it lowered some but had to get it back up cause it was too harsh. The 11in corrado brakes can be fit on an A1. I got the 16V scirocco front & rear disk. Also got the master/servo & later pedal assy. It is awesome. super light pedal & mintex pads get better as they heat up.
got a 16V 2.0l in the works too. Also rebuilding a tranny, 5spd.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Re: Cabriolet questions (Kevin Rowley)

quote:[HR][/HR]Engines, transmissions, front seats, steering wheels, and road wheels are some examples of A2 items that can be used on Cabriolets.[HR][/HR]​
And someone else said: Seats and wheels are interchangeable between A1s and A2s.
Are rear, as well as front, seats interchangeable? Cheers, MD.

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
Re: Cabriolet questions (MN Cabby)

quote:[HR][/HR]although obviously the second half of the Cabriolet era was the same as the A2 era. [HR][/HR]​
What do you mean by this? Cabbys were still A1s from 80-93.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Re: Cabriolet questions (vwpat)

That wasn't terribly clear, was it?
What I meant was that A1 Cabbies were being built at the same time as A2 Golfs. So when my buddy and I wrench on his '85 Golf (A2) and my '85 Cab (A1), there are often similarities in the engine especially.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.