Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SO, since i'm only 17
, have limited experience with workin on cars
, have only 150 bucks in my bank acct
, and desperate to do SOMEthing to my car
especially after reading about the uh TWIN ENGINE lupo
, i'm thinkin something i can do easily without screwing anything up is paint my calipers (dey UGLY)...
any suggestions as to which paint to use? i was just looking and suddenly found about 20 different brands 0.o... btw sorry for flooding the forums with stupid questions lol...

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
VHT caliper paint is awesome
any high temp ceramic paint will work
You need to sand and clean the crap out of the calipers. The thing is, no matter how good the paint, it won't last unless you prep the surface really well. I mean like you'd eat off of it. Otherwise any time the calipers get bumped by some clumsy technician taking your wheels off, boom chipping and peeling.
btw this is the 24v forum so here's a 24v suggestion
save up some money and get your shiz chipped

·
Registered
812 Posts
Re: caliper paint (drumnjuny)

i painted my with some german stuff...I forgot what it's called...maybe "spyne" , or something like that. I heard
Foliatec is good too.
Anyways, it's already been said but the prep work is important.
Sand the crap outta the caliper, and use lots of brake cleaner.
I also don't recommend using spray paint. Using a small brush is better to get into all the areas.
I didn't tape much areas off, just the bleeder nipple.
good luck, it looks awesome when finished and cured. Especially RED

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: (kungfoojesus)

Quote, originally posted by kungfoojesus »
VHT caliper paint is awesome
any high temp ceramic paint will work
btw this is the 24v forum so here's a 24v suggestion
save up some money and get your shiz chipped

thanks for the suggestions, i'm about to order it... i would chip it, but chipping is useless without an exhaust/CAI, lol... plus if i get it chipped, i can't physically do anything to the car haha...

that's what i'm looking for is some hands on =P... instead i think i'll save up for an exhaust, like a couple hundred bucks, but i would have no clue how to install that haha, CAI seems easy enough though

we'll see, you're right though, now i feel like saving up haha

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Re: (drumnjuny)

Quote, originally posted by drumnjuny »

thanks for the suggestions, i'm about to order it... i would chip it, but chipping is useless without an exhaust/CAI, lol... plus if i get it chipped, i can't physically do anything to the car haha...

that's what i'm looking for is some hands on =P... instead i think i'll save up for an exhaust, like a couple hundred bucks, but i would have no clue how to install that haha, CAI seems easy enough though

we'll see, you're right though, now i feel like saving up haha

If you get the car chiped the only thing you have to do is get the ECU out of the car and send it off to the closest GIAC dealer unless you have one in town and they can do it for you.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: (BakBer)

Quote, originally posted by BakBer »

If you get the car chiped the only thing you have to do is get the ECU out of the car and send it off to the closest GIAC dealer unless you have one in town and they can do it for you.

no i know but with my car (since i'm broke as all get out) i'd rather spend money on mods that i can physically work on the car u know ... i want some experience with working on the car so whatever i spend my money on i want it to be something i can physically install into the car... know what i mean?

Quote, originally posted by VR6jettaGLI »

and about the chip, so you dont have to ask which ones the best, its GIAC

thanks man, thats what i hear... with your VR6T did you switch to a different tuner? or stick with GIAC? alot of people say APR is the best for the 1.8T and 2.0T engines so i was wondering if they're the best for your "2.8T" haha...
or did you have to custom program your ecu? GIAC is like half the price of APR anyway =P there's a place near me that will use GIAC to program my ECU should i trust them or just ship my ECU to GIAC themselves? then again if i ship it then i can't drive my car till it comes back
http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

·
Registered
2,030 Posts

thanks man, thats what i hear... with your VR6T did you switch to a different tuner? or stick with GIAC? alot of people say APR is the best for the 1.8T and 2.0T engines so i was wondering if they're the best for your "2.8T" haha...
or did you have to custom program your ecu? GIAC is like half the price of APR anyway =P there's a place near me that will use GIAC to program my ECU should i trust them or just ship my ECU to GIAC themselves? then again if i ship it then i can't drive my car till it comes back
http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

He's using stand alone engine management http://www.034motorsport.com
What's the name of your local shop. You can probably trust them b/c I'm pretty sure everyone else just sends stuff to the closest shop.

Modified by BakBer at 5:06 PM 8-17-2007

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: (BakBer)

Quote, originally posted by BakBer »

What's the name of your local shop. You can probably trust them b/c I'm pretty sure everyone else just sends stuff to the closest shop.
Modified by BakBer at 5:06 PM 8-17-2007

its called...Curry's Auto Service, they said for 350 bucks i can go there, get it installed in an hour and come home =D they also do everything from exhaust installs to sc/tc installs as well including all the fab work and ****... i was like uhh no thx i'll do it myself
but the chip i'm not gonna mess with so when i get the money -- this will be after i get my CAI and exhaust which will probably take me at least 3-4 months
to get the money for ugh and if i get the money legit then even longer haha) we'll see what's up haha

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: (VR6JettaGLI)

Quote, originally posted by VR6JettaGLI »
you can use high temp engine pait, 500 degrees+

thanks man again for the help with the paint... i decided not to paint my calipers until i do the more important/basic stuff... also i figure they're fine for now, in a year or two i might have enough money for new calipers and rims anyway, so i'll paint them when i get real brakes (the stock ones kinda suck, no offense or nethin) haha
i'm chill for now...

·
Registered
6,023 Posts

thanks man again for the help with the paint... i decided not to paint my calipers until i do the more important/basic stuff... also i figure they're fine for now, in a year or two i might have enough money for new calipers and rims anyway, so i'll paint them when i get real brakes (the stock ones kinda suck, no offense or nethin) haha
i'm chill for now...

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
196 Posts
...How do the stock brakes suck? The pads are dusty, sure, and you aren't doing any autocrossing with them. But when is the last time you've needed to stop and haven't been able to?

·
Premium Member
13,690 Posts
Re: (spitfire481)

duplicolor caliper paint. buy it in pep boys....comes with cleaner, paint, brushes etc..... I did my rear calipers to match in red since i now have a brembo big brake kit in the front with red calipers. I'll take some photos tomorrow...
very easy to do and very strong paint, don't even have to take them off the car to do it.
I did remove them from the carriers and had them hung up so i could get all around them easier but you can do it without removing them as well http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.