VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After finally receiving my 2002 Bentley CD I have confirmed what may be ANOTHER screw up by VW on 2002 models, this time just on the AWP 1.8T.
Many of you may now know me from the 2002 Monsoon HU fix, bit it seems as though VW may have forgotten to turn ON our VARIABLE CAM TIMING

I ran a few tests with my VAG-COM when I was stock, and a lot since I have been chipped, and it doesn't activate whilst driving. It should turn on under high load up to about 4000rpm or so.
If you have a VAG-COM measure block 091. The last column is the degrees of adjustment and it should go to between 16-25 degrees. Mine never moves.
There is also another usage of the Variable Cam at cold start to improve emissions (block 094) and mine DOES work there

Anyway, what I'm saying is that there is a chance they may have screwed up the programming so if you have an AWP (or even a AWW) get someone to check block 091 as you may not be working properly.
FYI here are the exact works from the VW Service Manual:-
"There are only two positions for the adjustable camshaft, the normal position and the switched position. To bring the camshaft into the switched position, accelerate the vehicle in 1st gear from rest. Display zone 4 shows the actual position of the adjustable camshaft. If the activation of the adjustable camshaft is active - see display zone 3- it can be seen in display zone 4 whether in fact an adjustment of the camshaft has occurred (feed-back information). Camshaft in normal position = -3.0 to +6.0 CA. Camshaft in switched position = 16.0 to 25.0 CA

Post your findings

·
Registered
306 Posts
Re: Calling ALL 2002 AWP OWNERS - another VW mistake ?! (UKAUSSI)

Oh....JC....not another booboo....

BTW, i don't have a VAG-COM, but i know someone who does. Let me see if i've got the test method right. I'm supposed to use the VAG-COM to test for block 091, and this is done by accelerating in first gear all the way to redline, and then stop?
Could this be a cause of the ever controversial dynos of stock AWPs doing more than 180bhp?

[Modified by [email protected], 2:38 AM 4-7-2002]

[Modified by [email protected], 2:40 AM 4-7-2002]

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Calling ALL 2002 AWP OWNERS - another VW mistake ?! ([email protected])

quote:[HR][/HR]......... Let me see if i've got the test method right. I'm supposed to use the VAG-COM to test for block 091, and this is done by accelerating in first gear all the way to redline, and then stop?.......[HR][/HR]​
That is verbatum what VW says for the dealer to do but you should be able to do it in any gear. It was designed to increase torque at low/mid rpm under heavy/high load. 'John S' posted some good pics here http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=279826

ALSO, for those with 2001 AWW you can also check this as it may have started with you guys as the main difference between AWW and AWD was the VCT

[Modified by UKAUSSI, 8:27 AM 4-7-2002]

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Calling ALL 2002 AWP OWNERS - another VW mistake ?! (9VW23yrs)

OK, so you figured out the 2nd portion of my theory

I have discussed this with 'John S' previously but my theory is that those cars that are experiencing surging MAY be because their Variable Cam Timing is NOT working. This makes possibly more sense when you consider that compressor surge (not sure if this is what we are really experiencing though) is related to the capacity of the intake system.
SO, what we REALLY need to find is someone whose VCT is WORKING. We can then ALSO see if they are experiencing any surging.

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
Re: Calling ALL 2002 AWP OWNERS - another VW mistake ?! (Vdub16v)

well..you've definitely caught everyones attention...I think we all are just awaiting more confirmtion about these assumptions.
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Re: Calling ALL 2002 AWP OWNERS - another VW mistake ?! (VW4life)

last night i finally pushed my car to redline in 1st and 2nd gear ans it did fill kinda weak top end do you think thats also why its weak up top cause the vtc isnt working cause i sure as hell know that my cuzs gsr pulls like a mofo up top

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
Re: Calling ALL 2002 AWP OWNERS - another VW mistake ?! (UKAUSSI)

How does this co-incide with people saying that the 180hp's are dynoing way over that figure. There's even paragraph in the laterst eurotuner that talks about the beetle S being closer to 200 or even 210 hp at the flyweel. If this was a problem wouldn't it affect those numbers?

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
Re: Calling ALL 2002 AWP OWNERS - another VW mistake ?! (smd3)

Ok,
Maybe I'm not quite understanding how the switchover in profiles is controlled. If it is controlled by the ECU, wouldn't the problem be fixed if you're chipped?

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
Re: Calling ALL 2002 AWP OWNERS - another VW mistake ?! (rudyr)

It may or may not be an ECU problem. It could be a wiring problem like the radio, if that were the case ECU modification woulnd't help it at all.
APR -- I hope you're reading this thread. I would think that you guys would have some insight into this, especially after just developing the StageIII kit.

·
Registered
473 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]It may or may not be an ECU problem. It could be a wiring problem like the radio, if that were the case ECU modification woulnd't help it at all.
APR -- I hope you're reading this thread. I would think that you guys would have some insight into this, especially after just developing the StageIII kit.[HR][/HR]​
I don't think its a wiring problem, because if you run a block 94, the warm up test, the cam adjustment seems to work fine. It will activate and give an ok. It is just the actual driving function that does not operate.
It seems that the cam adjustment is being used only for cold start emissions purposes.

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
Re: Calling ALL 2002 AWP OWNERS - another VW mistake ?! (sjoback)

Ok, I think I'm starting to get the picture here. So VW tells us we have this great VCT system, but they dont' tell us it's for emissions reasons and not to adjust power/torque curve?

·
Registered
473 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Ok, I think I'm starting to get the picture here. So VW tells us we have this great VCT system, but they dont' tell us it's for emissions reasons and not to adjust power/torque curve?[HR][/HR]​
that's what I'm thinking. maybe they'll turn it on in the future for better numbers. Perhaps the 1.8t is a little too powerful for its own good, cutting into the VR6.
btw, did a block 120 run a few mins ago on a new 02 VR6 24v. there are some serious issues with some of these cars: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=313429

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Re: Calling ALL 2002 AWP OWNERS - another VW mistake ?! (sjoback)

Did anyone talk to a VW dealership? Is there a way to make it work?
My 02 seem to fall on its face after 5 or 6 thousand RPM's too. http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif Did Bentley give any hope to fix this problem?

[Modified by vwjunky18t, 3:04 PM 4-7-2002]

1 - 20 of 98 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.