VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy a Type I engine that produces significantly more horsepower than the stock 1500. Reliability is crucial. I am trying to decide wheather to buy a longblock or a turnkey since I do not trust myself to put pistons and cranks and such in place myself. Thankfullly, money is not particularly a restriction, however, I don't want to pay for someone's advertisements either.
I need to know as much as possible regarding heads, cranks, stroking, boring, carbs (i.e. IDA vs IDF), cams, cooling, displacement vs. reliability, etc. Please write anything you know, or think would help. I need to know as much as possible. Thanks a whole lot!!
Nick and Al

· Registered
7,463 Posts
Re: CALLING ALL GEARHEADS!!! Need Engine Ideas and Information. ('67Aircooled)

The best engine is a mild 1776 with external oil filter and fan cooler with a 180 thermostat. I give you my old setup exactly. 3000 dollars, but I built it with my uncle so you might fork out anither 1000-1500 for labor ( I have no clue exactly). I bought a new AS41 block, Scat C35 cam, Scat 69mm crank Forged/balanced/counterweighted, full flow oil, solid lifters, chromoly pushrods, chromoly pushrod tubs, CB performance 044 p&p heads, Scat 1.25 rockers, 44 webers, bugpack linkage, and the other basic stuff lightened flywheel, 1800lbs pressure plate, and race clutch disk,and sooo on. I ran it in my 71 SB on the 1/8th mile and my best was a 10.14/trap speed of 67. So guess I that would be 15.80 on the 1/4 mile. It was a good engine, 8.5:1 compression. 91 octane, but I had low geared tranny too. that was about 1000 bucks for the tranny.
piston:90.5 (make sure you buy heads that are cut to that spec)
crank:69mm

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.