VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thanks for taking on such a pandemic of american car culture:laugh: This should get interesting....:popcorn:

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/state-...dcyc/?icmp=ajc_internallink_textlink_homepage

Those who lollygag in the left lane of highways and interstates could be ticketed under legislation approved in the state House on Wednesday.

House Bill 459, by Rep. Bill Hitchens, R-Rincon, was approved 162-9.

The bill makes it a misdemeanor for any driver on a divided highway who does not move to the right when a car going faster approaches from behind.

“Everybody knows this is the slow-poke bill,” Hitchens said.

Hitchens said he knows enforcement will be difficult — an officer will have to witness it happening.

“My reason for doing this is more for an educational opportunity for people who don’t understand you’re not supposed to ride 55, 60 mph in that left lane when you’ve got 15, 16, 17 people lined up behind you.”

That kind of situation has been known to be “the spark that ignites road rage,” Hitchens said, adding that it’s really just good manners.

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
Nobody enforces it in NJ and left-lane hoggers are actually 90% of the population here.
A friend of mine got a ticket for that in addition to speeding on 78 in NJ. Just after crossing the river into NJ, a state cop got him speeding in the left lane with no other traffic around. Cop did a lot of yelling (I was in the car).

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A friend of mine got a ticket for that in addition to speeding on 78 in NJ. Just after crossing the river into NJ, a state cop got him speeding in the left lane with no other traffic around. Cop did a lot of yelling (I was in the car).

duh....the cop was the "more quickly" moving vehicle, as to why your friend was given said ticket:bs:

·
Goes in two directions
'13 500 Abarth, '14 RAV4R, '16 F31 328i
3,895 Posts
Good.

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
duh....the cop was the "more quickly" moving vehicle, as to why your friend was given said ticket:bs:
Honestly, I can't say I disagree with the cop about the left lane thing. He had no reason to be in the left lane. I just remember the cops exact words were "And another thing, what the hell were doing in the left lane!?"

·
Banned
13,776 Posts
What other states do this? I'm being totally cereal...
Texas does, at least they enforce it around Austin. I have watched quite a few people get popped for riding in the left lane esp when there is little to no traffic.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
There is always a gap between laws on the book, and laws that the police will enforce. In IL, it is illegal to drive with a cell phone in your hand. But I see many people every day with their phone jammed against their face. I'm pretty sure the cops are not yet?) bothering to pull people over.

·
Registered
11,935 Posts
FV-QR

funneee84bunny said:
What other states do this? I'm being totally cereal...
Washington does. RCW 46.64.100

Only enforced when there is nothing else to do, which is not very often. WSP conducts emphasis patrols every once in awhile on this law but it's like once a year if we're lucky. Usually lane hogging just gets lumped in with other behaviors into an aggressive cite.

·
Just Milking my Carrot in the Honda break room.
Atlanta, GA ~ Honda
39,227 Posts
But I see many people every day with their phone jammed against their face. I'm pretty sure the cops are not yet?) bothering to pull people over.
That's because the LEOs have their own cell phones glued to their own heads.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.