Calling all Moldings Calling all Moldings... Euro Moldings please post pic

1K views 25 replies 17 participants last post by  Ess Three 
#1 ·
as title says http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

thanks

[Modified by EuroVR6Mk3, 5:56 AM 4-11-2002]

See less See more
#7 ·
Re: Calling all Moldings Calling all Moldings... Euro Moldings please post pic (VolkSchnell-GTI)

quote:[HR][/HR]Glen, your car is sexy

as usual

-Luke[HR][/HR]​
Thank you. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
But I really must get some updated photos of all the cars...new suspension on the Mk3, New wheels on the S3 and a new VW to add to the collection...now where's that digital camera?!
Glen.

#13 ·
Re: Calling all Moldings Calling all Moldings... Euro Moldings please post pic (Gerapudo)

quote:[HR][/HR]
Is that what i think it is, in the back??

p.s. did they make a GTi in a 4 door??
[HR][/HR]​
Well, that would depend on what you thought it was in the back? One of these:

If so...then yes, it is!!
And yes, they did make 4 door GTI's.
Direct from the factory...and even in 16v form with the 2.0 16v ABF engine.
That one is the 'Anniversary' spec, that was introduced to commemorate 21 years of the Golf GTI in the UK...only ever 750 RHD cars ever produced, and only 150 in the 16v form.

I would look so cool in an S3...
[HR][/HR]​
But not as cool as me..........

And just to sound my own horn a bit...here are couple more European specials that a look around my driveway / garage would reveal:
The latest addition to the family:

The Lupo GTI - 1.6l 125BHP 6 speed.
And lurking at the back of the garage for a rainy day:

Corrado VR6 - 2.9l 196BHP ABV.
Now...which one will I play in first....??

Glen.

#14 ·
Re: Calling all Moldings Calling all Moldings... Euro Moldings please post pic (Ess Three)

The Lupo GTI - 1.6l 125BHP 6 speed. [HR][/HR]​
I really want a Lupo, now if they could come to this side of the pond..
. How did you like it? Nimble and fun to drive? Does it feel/handle more like a MK1 than a MK3?
Nice cars! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

[Modified by Malone, 9:10 AM 4-11-2002]

#18 ·
Re: Calling all Moldings Calling all Moldings... Euro Moldings please post pic (PineappleMonkey)

quote:[HR][/HR]Well this thread got Off topic real fast
[HR][/HR]​
Well anything involving an S3, Lupo GTi, and 2.9 VR6 will get me off topic in sec.

What an envy, 2 S3´s here in Guatemala, just a Lupo 3L and no 16v MkIII congrats on your rides. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

#19 ·
Re: Calling all Moldings Calling all Moldings... Euro Moldings please post pic (Clone_number2)

quote:[HR][/HR]Are they built on a mk1 frame?

(no clue, just wondering - after I read your question re: mk1 like handling)[HR][/HR]​
MK1's are unibody.. the Lupo is an entirely different car. Because of its lightweight and small size I was just wondering if it feels more like a MK1 than a MK3. I find Lupos and Polos attractive because newer VWs here get bigger/bloated and heavier every time http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

#20 ·
Re: Calling all Moldings Calling all Moldings... Euro Moldings please post pic (Ess Three)

If it wasn't a GTI I'd suggest to take the 2.9l and stuff it in there. But, the GTI is too nice to mess with. All of them are great cars, I wish we had ANY of them here.

#22 ·
Re: Calling all Moldings Calling all Moldings... Euro Moldings please post pic (Aloha-boy)

Without the textture top bumpers, they dont look right...
Sean

#26 ·
Re: Calling all Moldings Calling all Moldings... Euro Moldings please post pic (Aloha-boy)

[HR][/HR]​
I'm not normally a fan of Vento / Jettas...but I've got to admit...this looks good with the arch extensions. With a full set of textured top bumpers it will look superb! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Heading back off topic to answer a previous question (sorry, but I'll answer anyway!)
MK1's are unibody.. the Lupo is an entirely different car. Because of its lightweight and small size I was just wondering if it feels more like a MK1 than a MK3. I find Lupos and Polos attractive because newer VWs here get bigger/bloated and heavier every time
[HR][/HR]​
As the photo shows, the Lupo literally has a wheel at wach corner, resulting in a fairly long wheelbase (stable) but very nimble car.

To answer your question...it is far stiffer than a Mk1, the suspension rolls less, it handles far better, more refined, better built etc...and it is far lighter and more nimble than a Mk3.
More like a Mk2 than anything...but with more low down torque than a 16v due to variable valve timing, and more exiting than an 8v due to it's amazing 16v inlet roar!
I would rate it as VW's best GTI yet...many will not agree, but it is amazingly well built, very stiff bodywise, has good damping control (pretty stiff, but not uncomfortably so), wide wheels / tyres (205/45/15's) so the grip is there...it has the newer generation rear suspension, so it handles really well, and in addition to all this it has the safety features of a modern VW.
The weight is just above that of a Mk2 16v, so with similar power outputs (give or take a few BHP) the performance would be similar were it not for the slickest gearbox VW have ever produced - a very close ratio 6 speed cable change box which is geared at approx 19/20MPH per 1000 revs in 6th. This equates to really close gearing through the box, with the revs dropping only about 600 - 700RPM between gearchanges.
The engine is a beauty...smooth and refined but with a hard edged note lost from VW's a long time ago.
Decent sized disc brakes all round, EDL, ABS...etc make for fun when stopping.
Then the weight distribution is far better than the normal Lupo due to alloy wings, bonnet and doors. The battery has been moved to the boot to equal out the weight distribution, and make room for: HID headlights!! Woo-hoo! You can play in the dark too!
All in all...a superb car..is it a better GTI than a Mk1 GTI? Yes, as it has better body control, engine etc
Better GTI than a Mk3 GTI? Yes, as it is nimble and actually handles up there with the best of the competition.
Better GTI than a Mk4 GTI - Absolutely...there has not yet been a proper Mk4 GTI available!
Better than a Mk2 GTI? 8v - Yes. 16v - I think so as it is better built, the brakes are better and it has the 6 speed box.
So, does that make it the best GTI VW have ever made? Probably...in my view, yes.
Is it fun...yes, more fun than my S3....and that's saying something!
Sorry to hijack the topic again...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.