VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
11,264 Posts
Alright.... here is what I did.... keep in mind there are lots of ways to do this... and I highly doubt this is the best way...
First... once the handle is removed, then there are two hole, shown here in red:

These are the two holes I used. I cut a chunk of metal and drilled holes in each end to mate up with the holes shown above. The gas doos solenoid has two mounting holes that run all the way through the body. What I did is run a bolt thru the hole on the 'back' of the solenoid, thru the metal bracket, and thru the left hole above. The 'front' hole on the solenoid gets bolted to a hole drilled in the metal bracket, and then the far right hole in the bracket matches to the right hole in the above picture.

The black in this pic is my metal bracket, the grey is the solenoid, and the white shows where my bolts are.
Next, the solenoid shown with the x thru it was removed - and the original wires were hooked up to the new solonoid.
Finally the metal 'hook' coming off the new solonoid was bent to fit through the hole on the actual latch.
Actual pic to follow....

Modified by London Dub at 2:36 PM 4-10-2007

·
Registered
6,337 Posts
Re: (xxp0werrangersxx)

Quote, originally posted by xxp0werrangersxx »
hey i heard that solenoid only goes one way.. like when you open the hatch.. it stays open and wont re-latch.. did you have that problem (i got this info from searching)

Yeah, the factory one does, but if you go pick up the solenoid that pops open the gas door from your dealer it looks identical, but it goes back after it pops the latch open. Its a perfect fit, i used it in my hatch and its great.

·
Registered
11,264 Posts
Re: (Boosted20th2886)

Quote, originally posted by Boosted20th2886 »
Yeah, the factory one does, but if you go pick up the solenoid that pops open the gas door from your dealer it looks identical, but it goes back after it pops the latch open. Its a perfect fit, i used it in my hatch and its great.

Yep - since the one that is already in there controls just the locking feature... which is why you don't want to just relocate it. Gas door solenoid is key - and cheap from a wreckers. I got like 4 for $10!

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
Re: (London Dub)

Quote, originally posted by London Dub »

. which is why you don't want to just relocate it. Gas door solenoid is key - and cheap from a wreckers. I got like 4 for $10!

ok soo you want to keep the stock one in there and buy a gas door solenoid to control the handle also?

·
Registered
11,264 Posts

ok soo you want to keep the stock one in there and buy a gas door solenoid to control the handle also?

Yes and No.... you can see mine is still there, but it isn't connected to anything, nor is it wired up. I swapped the wires from the existing solenoid to the new gas popper hooked to the latch.
I would hve removed the old one entirely - but it looks to be bolted in from the back of the hatch - and I couldn't get to it - so I just cut off the little part that retracts.

·
Registered
6,337 Posts

I removed the old one entirely. Put the gas door soleniod in its place, and pluged it in. It plugs right in and bolts right in. All you have to do after that is spend five minutes making a linkage with a coat hanger. And then your key will automatically pop it open when you hit the trunk button.

·
Registered
11,264 Posts
Re: (Ainrue)

Quote, originally posted by Ainrue »
Is this similar on a jetta?? I was thinking of shaving the badge.
I know the 'handle' doesn't exist, but the keyslot will stick out a lot w/o the badge there...

I'm fairly certain it is easier on a jetta since the popper is built in. It would just be a matter of cutting off the emblem and filling over it methinks...

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Re: (Boosted20th2886)

Quote, originally posted by Boosted20th2886 »
yeah, that should be it

but what about the actual keyhole though? there's a small cylinder that has the keyslot in it that comes right through the badge so you can unlock the trunk incase of electrical failure, etc.. Can that just be cut?

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.