VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two major questions and perhaps this should go in the body forum but I figured people here would know this
1. What kind of paint is on the 83-84 Rabbit GTI
-Enamel or laquer
2. How much sanding needs to be done to put a urethane primer/base/clear paint system on top of the factory finish.??
Thanks

·
Registered
6,130 Posts
Re: Calling any A1 ownder who has painted their car (iceguy)

A couple things to remember when painting your car:
1. Prep is everything. Very tempting to cut corners here so save time and aggravation, but don't if you are picky about the final result. If you have a dent, fill it now. Sand as much as you can of the old paint off.
2. New paint does not hide imperfections, it magnifies them. Any imperfection, when painted over with new shiny gloss will pop out 10x more, so fix it ahead of time.
3. Paint more lighter coats, not fewer heavier coats.
4. If you can remove parts to paint them rather than painting them on the car, you can do a better job. Just have to be careful during reassembly not to tear up your new paint.
There was a great thread from some guy in Europe who redid his Lime Green Rabbit inside and out here somewhere. Might try to find that, or if someone else knows the thread ( was HUGE ), post so this guy can check it out. I think it would be very useful to you, lots of pics.
I'm no pro, but have painted a couple of cars in my time with an air compressor, a spray gun, and some good auto paint. Works well if you are picky and take your time to do the details BEFORE you are ready to spray.
A little thing you ignore to save an hour now will irritate you forever when you still notice the flaw after you are done.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Thanks for the reply.
I really want to know compatibility information on urethane on top of whatever is on the rabbit currently. This will tell me if I need to use chemical stripper and go bare metal or if i should just sand into it
Like, I know you cant do enamel over laquer.....but what about urtheane over _____________???

Modified by iceguy at 10:53 AM 6-15-2006

·
Registered
10,650 Posts

IF the car is factory paint you can sand it with 600 grit paper and be ok, Most of the time repaint at a shop is just some wax and degreaser and a scotchbrite pad. But you probably have a couple dents you want taken care of
I did all my body work (visual) then lay down a couple coats of High build primer PPG K36/K201.
Lightly mist the area with a can of black primer (Guide coat)

Block sand the guide coat and any left over black will reveal low areas that need filled
I'll stop there. Not sure if this is the info you want or not.

·
Registered
776 Posts

make sure you mix the paint correctly. i painted my silver 84 gti in '99. after a bunch of coats it looked like sand. the finish was gritty looking. i wet sanded the thing 50 times and re-read the mix ratio. OOPS. 2 coats and she was lookin perrty.

·
Registered
14,303 Posts

Having painted more cars than I care to remember with the "pro equipment" and good quality automotive paint, I will offer the following:
Fix any small dents, scratches, or imperfections with body filler or red gazing compound, depending on the situations. Then wet sand the entire body with #400 grit auto type sandpaper. Use an automotive wax/grease remover over the entire car. Next use several tack-rags to remove any lint or dust on the body of the car.
Next use an automotive primer-sealer. Primer sealer will act as a barrier between old and new, and keep the reducer in your paint from biting into your old paint, bodywork, etc. which can compromise adhesion.
The difficult part about using a primer sealer is that is has to be painted over with your color coat during a specific window of time, otherwise the paint won’t adhere properly and will need to be sanded, and sanding the primer sealer compromises the sealing properties of the primer.
Select the color of the primer-sealer based on the color of your paint.
Finally paint the car and apply an initial light wet coat. Wait about 15 minutes and then apply a medium wet coat of paint. Wait another 20 minutes and apply a final medium wet coat of paint.
Good luck, WWR.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Re: Calling any A1 ownder who has painted their car (WackyWabbitRacer)

Quote, originally posted by WackyWabbitRacer »

The difficult part about using a primer sealer is that is has to be painted over with your color coat during a specific window of time, otherwise the paint won’t adhere properly and will need to be sanded, and sanding the primer sealer compromises the sealing properties of the primer.

HOW long is the specific window of time? How can I tell if the primmer that I have is a primmer sealer? Than can I us a primmer sealer over Primmer?

·
Registered
10,650 Posts
Re: Calling any A1 ownder who has painted their car (84thmpr)

I think PPGs primer sealer is DP40 and DP50. different colors. Try to get a primer that is tinted towards the color you are painting. It won't show chips and it uses much less coats to apply.
Regular primer can be left on for a while,
Primer/Sealer like the DP products from PPG are usually applied right before painting in a clean room. then, let it dry
here is a good site if you can find your way around. The VOC chart area tell ya some good stuff.

http://www.ppg.com/cr-refinish/phase1/frmHome.asp

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Re: Calling any A1 ownder who has painted their car (1980something)

Yeah, there is a lot of info out here. I just did mine. You'll realize everything you missed AFTER you paint it. Its the way of the world lol. But yes, prep is everything. All the way down to your air quality

·
Registered
14,303 Posts
Re: Calling any A1 ownder who has painted their car (TimboAA)

It is also a very good idea to install a "moisture trap device" in your air hose.
Also use some "fisheye reducer" and the correct hardener in the paint mixture. Definitely read several times the instructions for your type of paint in regard to the ratios and other factors.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.