VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
1,305 Posts
Re: Calling up all HIDs users! (2000vwgolf)

you do realize they are up to 12K now.. They are gonna be like CPUs no matter what speed you buy the next day there will be something better. Maybe they will stop when tey melt the paint off a bumper at a thousand feet.

·
Administrator
87,849 Posts
Re: Calling up all HIDs users! (Chris-A.W.E)

quote:[HR][/HR]you do realize they are up to 12K now.. They are gonna be like CPUs no matter what speed you buy the next day there will be something better. Maybe they will stop when tey melt the paint off a bumper at a thousand feet.[HR][/HR]​
Chris,
12000K does not mean it's brighter...actually, those 12000K's are going to output much less than anything else would (but still be brighter than halogens).
Later,

·
Administrator
87,849 Posts
Re: Calling up all HIDs users! (TrierBora)

OEM HID's on all N/A cars are 4100/4300 K.
Any "color temp" above that is only an optical illusion.
Optics play a huge role in output of HID's.
But as you drive on the road at night look at HID's coming at you (or behind you)...so many different outputs-or so it seems.
But where you won't see much of a difference is ON THE GROUND. This is where you really can tell that the light isn't an optical illusion. It can *look* a certain way to you but when you see the color on the ground that's another thing.
The Bimmers look very blue these days - but on the ground it's like sunlight.
The Mercedes and Acuras look very Violet - but on the ground it's like sunlight.
The fake HID bulbs (blue tint) look blue but also the ground looks blue too.
That's what fake HID bulbs will never be able to accomplish.
Later,

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Re: Calling up all HIDs users! (converted_vw)

i got 6000k right now but am buying oem hid real soon! cant wait! what ever K the oem ones are i will be at pretty soon! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Administrator
87,849 Posts
Re: Calling up all HIDs users! (gti995)

quote:[HR][/HR]i got 6000k right now but am buying oem hid real soon! cant wait! what ever K the oem ones are i will be at pretty soon! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif [HR][/HR]​
Cool dude. Good choice.
OEM's will come with OEM 4100K bulbs (Osram, I think - but I could be wrong).
Many people upgrade to 6000K for a bit more blue.
But I think with the optics in the OEM HID's you will not need that...
You can see pics on vortex all day but you'll never get the "real" picture as you would in person.
See them, then decide if you need to upgrade to 6000K.
I've got Ultinon D2s 6000K which I'm not using anymore that I'd sell to you for cheap if you wanted them...
But I'm not entirely sure yet.
Anyway,
Good luck.
Later,

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Re: Calling up all HIDs users! (nater)

How much does it cost to upgrade to 6K? I want them to look just like the audi's and bmw's. If they use 4300 or whatever then thats fine w/ me. Would the 4300 and 6K have a difference in the ground? Like can you see better or is the higher # just the color difference? Of course again Im talking about the OEM BORA hids...thats what Im gonna get soon.

·
Administrator
87,849 Posts

The OEM Bora hids will look very OEM-ish...
Just like the audi's. Ever see the W8 HID's in action? Just like them.
There is a difference in light output (amount of light) b/w 4300K and 6000K (you'll see more with 4300K).
Trust me, you'll like 4300 K but you'll also be interested in trying 6000K - it seems everybody has to try it.
Later,

·
Administrator
87,849 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]HOw much are the 6K bulbs? Thats the only think you have to change out right? Ill probably stick w/ 4300 but Im curious as to the cost of the 6k upgrade? [HR][/HR]​
Generally speaking, those bulbs are pretty pricey...at about 140-150/each new.
Mostly b/c they aren't available in the states (they are-but they are imported).
And it's rare that you see these bulbs (in OEM d2s format) for sale on ebay b/c most people keep 'em.
I may sell mine. If I do I'd be asking high 100's to low $200'sfor my pair since they have about 20 hours on them.
But I'm just saying what I'd sell them for used. Maybe on ebay you'd get lucky and find them for cheaper.
Keep in mind, you'll see 6000K bulbs on ebay but most are not OEM. They are halogen-based for retrofits. But if you are buying OEM HID's for your MK4 you'll need the OEM bulbs (which are Philips) and these are a commodity.
Later,

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Re: Calling up all HIDs users! (nater)

Hey Nater, the bulbs in the last picture in your sig...the ones w/ the MK4 look...what are those? Are those 4300. By the way, thanks for all the info. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 20 of 31 Posts