VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got around to doing it this weekend since it was starting to get embarrassing to start the car in public. Really loud rattle at start up, and in hot temps even at idle. Although I did drive around like that for almost two years, there was no damage to the chain, head, or the valve cover.
Anyways, not terribly difficult...didn't bother taking pictures and writing up a DIY since there is a really good one here:
http://www.ca-va.org/tech/camtensioner/index.html
Couple of things to note:
-When they say don't over tighten the tool, DON'T OVER TIGHTEN THE TOOL.
Mine got stuck, and I had to dremel it out.
-On my AWM, I had to remove the combi valve - 3 x 5mm allen bolts. I could take the tensioner out, but couldn't put it back in with the valve on.
-The tool came with the tensioner, so no need to buy it separately.
Took me about 6 hours including an oil change, good portion was trying to get the tensioner out since it didn't compress properly, and fishing out dropped tools and screws out of the engine bay with a magnet. Aligning the timing afterwards takes a bit of patience as well.
Only regret I have is not doing it when I did my TB, as it would have made life easier just to take out both cams like the Bentley says.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Re: Cam Chain Tensioner (TurboNasty)

Quote, originally posted by TurboNasty »
-The tool came with the tensioner, so no need to buy it separately.

bad advice. the tool that comes with the tensioner is to prevent the replacement part from being over extended, since its hydraulic.
so yeah, you end up with two after the job.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Cam Chain Tensioner (modifieda4)

Quote, originally posted by modifieda4 »

bad advice. the tool that comes with the tensioner is to prevent the replacement part from being over extended, since its hydraulic.
so yeah, you end up with two after the job.

Yeah, I put the tensioner in a vise while removing the tool, I guess if you got no way of keeping it compressed you need two.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts