VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody,

My name is Reinier, and I'm new here, excuse my english if its not always like it should.

I'm 23 years old and live in the netherlands, and have just bought my first a3 2.0 tfsi.
Well I tought I had bought myself a great car, untill I drove home from the guy who I had bought it from.
I got home and the engine sounded like a diesel, I did some research and found out that it was likely the chain tensioner, and cam follower.
so I drove to work ( I'm a mechanic) and tore it appart.
And saw that my camshaft was completely messed up. chain and tensioner looked fine.

Then I saw that my cam follower was in good condition but the camshaft was completly gone, now I have to buy a new camshaft new chain and tensioner, but I saw that there's an upgrade for your fuel pump and new camfollower the one with the roller, but I can't fine the upgrade anywhere, can somebody help me with this?

Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Welcome!

Sounds like the guy's cam follower had fallen apart and took the cam with it, then he replaced the follower to sell the car.

The roller cam is from new TSI motors, there's no way to swap it to the FSI motor. You gotta stick with the design you have.

You will have to replace the camshaft and put a brand new follower in. The original follower, while not the best design, should easily be able to handle 30-50k mile intervals. I personally check and replace mine every 3rd oil change (~15k miles), and even with my modded motor the wear has been negligible at those intervals.

While you're replacing the cam it's a good idea to replace the tensioner as well, since there have been quite a few cases of them starting to fail above 100k miles.

Also, even after replacing all these parts, don't expect the motor to run quietly! These are loud motors!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Welcome! Where in the Netherlands do you live? I am in Limburg, near Heerlen.

The links you provided makes it look like you have to get the camshaft bearing, as well as getting the camshaft machined / modified, so $500 is probably about right. Let us know what you find!

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Welcome. This may go without saying, but I'll say it anyway. Be sure to change your oil and oil filter too. In your case, you may also want to drop and clean the oil pan.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I havent looked into this for a while but I believe h2sport used to or still does make the cam follower fix for fsi engines. I think it was 400-500$. It was a roller on the end of a cam follower and other modifications that were needed to make it work.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yes I´m also going to take the oil pan of and see if the `oil sieve ` if thats how you say it in english isn´t jammed up with carbon.

and new oil filter and new oil. I´m just waiting for my parts to arrive and then I´ll take some photo´s and let you know what´s going on.

and for the record, I didn´t do the upgrade in the pictures I just found that on the internet.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
No carbon in the oil sump, and the sieve was also clean, so I changed the camshaft and rocker arms, new sparkplugs, and got it running again, only it won´t idle nice anymore and eventually it stalls.

So I ran a diagnostic with the bosch tester, and there were no fault codes, so I taught maybe if I drive it, it´ll get better. So I drove home and it performed perfect no troubles, but if I had to stop for traffic it realy had a rough idle.

I have no idea what the problem may be, anyone else maybe?

·
Registered
362 Posts
No carbon in the oil sump, and the sieve was also clean, so I changed the camshaft and rocker arms, new sparkplugs, and got it running again, only it won´t idle nice anymore and eventually it stalls.

So I ran a diagnostic with the bosch tester, and there were no fault codes, so I taught maybe if I drive it, it´ll get better. So I drove home and it performed perfect no troubles, but if I had to stop for traffic it realy had a rough idle.

I have no idea what the problem may be, anyone else maybe?

The cam timing magnet??
http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-A3-Quattro-2.0T/Engine/Mechanical/ES2766014/

1 - 17 of 17 Posts